Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Muffler Noise Prevention ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Noise Prevention ticket

Hey, tonight I was out driving around with my buddy in his '02 Civic Si with a Comptech exhaust. First of all, this exhaust is no where near as loud as most Harley, F-150, or other giant V8 with uncorked exhausts. We were driving down a street when the V1 starts going off and we see a cop sitting in cognito on a side street. Needless to say, he pulls us over and says his supervisor wants to file a report on us saying we, at 100 feet, had a defective muffler. He received a $100 ticket. We are in Kansas and we have no fix it tickets so we have no idea what this means. Anyone have any advice?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
normally, it's a set level and they need to use a sound meter. Challenge it, as i think the comptech ( at least on the rsx ), is 50 state legal. Bring that paperwork in also.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to check you local laws but in most states the law says something to the tune of, 100 ft from the rear of the car the sound can not exceed 95 dB.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've never had any problems further out west in manhattan KS. (and i hope it stays that way)

but your right, every hick with a truck uncorks the exhaust and its 100x louder than mine could ever be coming straight off the headers. just no love for the imports

if i ever got a sound ticket, i'd be pissed though cause its so biased.