Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Would you participate or like to see an EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition?
Yes, I would like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
78.08%
No, I would not like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL MR
if it will shut them up then yes
HEH HEH HEH

Point is any car can be made to go fast. Some more easily than others. Anyone that thinks he is unbeatable should look at the story of David and Goliath. There is always someone bigger and badder.

Should there be a contest... Why not? Are they in the same class? I don't think so but I also know a guy in a old fixed up sentra that kicks my *** in AutoX on a monthly basis (Need more seat time!!). David and Goliath contests are an American favorite. Don't we just love it when a modded Evo whomps on a Vette or some other V8 and we laugh cause we only got a little 2 liter 4 banger???

Let's see the best of the two go at eachother. And if your not into this kind of thing, that's fine too.

Last edited by Scooter; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

are we talking stock for stock or modded cars...there is a reson you guys pay 10grand more than we do. if its mod for mod its a different story, especially if you give us another month or 2 for a stand alone to become available. remember, we cant get flashes either, so we have to run a mopar upgrade or a piggyback.

seriously guys...wanna race my lambo against your camaro. get real guys, i paid a whole lot less, but for that extra 10 grand i can do a lot to keep up.

Last edited by TEXSRT4; Apr 26, 2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

After seing the results from the 2nd EVO WRX Shootout, I don't think they should be put through that spanking.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by cet_euro
Hmmmm SRT-4 is having big problems with Cobalt SS my friends and they have the guts to compare to us?!!!! Wow now that is quality entertainment. First of all there is no SRT-4 into the 10s. People that say that, are full of it. I talked with a couple of shops that tried to get the car into the 10s and they blew up 4 engines. These cars are extremly cheap built and I really don't know why people keep saying they are strong in a straight line. I raced my friends Srt-4 with Stage 3 on it and I stay 3 cars ahead everytime. All I did to my car is a TBE, and MBC. That is it and the guy cannot ever beat me. When I drove his car and he drove mine he pulled 5 or more cars ahead. So just to show you..... But my friend is really cool. He cannot afford a Evo so he bought a SRT-4. He never tought that he could take me even if he upgraded to max. SRT-4 sould worry about Cobalt SS, Saturn and RSX-Type S.
So, were you and your buddy running 60' from a dig? Since when should any car owner worry about any other different car owner? Why can't people just friggen get along dammit!!!?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Some SRT's might be drag strip worthy, but I know for a fact that they couldn't come close in handling on a course. And I totally agree that SRT's should be compared to Cobalts, Rsx's, Focus's, etc. Not Evo's and STI's.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to see some hilarious road course action...

OK, once and for all, I would like to state WHY an Evo costs $10,000 more than an SRT-4.

CHASSIS. Learn it, love it. The SRT-4 chassis is really close to the Neon chassis, just like the Ralliart is close to the Lancer chassis, but with a really good engine. The Evo could be defined as this type of vehicle, but the car is built from almost the ground up. This would explain why Evos have AWD and the base Lancer and Ralliart don't.

Last edited by mike69; Apr 27, 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:36 PM

The srt handling isnt that horrible...
2003 one lap results:
The following is from AUG2003 C&D:

TOP TEN OVERALL

1. 2002 Chevrolet MTI Z07 (Corvette), SSGT1

2. 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, SSGT1

3. 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, SSGT1

4. 2001 Ruf RGT, SSGT1

5. 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, SSGT1

6. 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo, SSGT1

7. 1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, SSGT1

8. 2003 Dodge SRT-4, Mid-Price Sedan

9. 1996 Lamborghini Diablo, SSGT1

10. 2000 Audi S4 Quattro, Luxury Sedan

And yes, there were evos present. Only thing done to the srt was stage 1 and an lsd, which is now standard.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

you guys keep referring to srt-4 guys being a-holes, arrogant, ignorant, and dumb...........take a step back and read some of your responses...some of you need to take your heads out of your a$$es

cars are cars
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pb24dagrk
you guys keep referring to srt-4 guys being a-holes, arrogant, ignorant, and dumb...........take a step back and read some of your responses...some of you need to take your heads out of your a$$es

cars are cars
umm... I think people call them thoughs names because they really are. There are a couple that know that the car is fast but it isnt an EVO everybody else things there car is so fast. Handling is that bad but the car cant turn like the EVO among other things.

Also I would challege a SRT 4 on a road course. Give it the pole position also.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:03 AM

From my own personal experience with an SRT-4.
'03 straight VIII, NO MODS, 23,000miles, pulled car and half length from red light on SRT-4 with stage 1 turbo upgrade, BOV, intake, injectors, blah blah blah can't remember all the guy said. From 30-130 pulled a car length, and 60-130 pulled car and a half. On the stop had good launch, 6k RPM, clutch half out, dropped on green.

Will say this though, when it came time to go around a bank at high speed, neon couldn't keep up with only FWD. Again he tried to keep up on a windy back road. The SRT-4 may be great at straight line accel., and with heavy mods could shock some STi, Evo owners. But the handling is something they fall into the category with F body V8s.... there isn't any.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Afio20
From my own personal experience with an SRT-4.
'03 straight VIII, NO MODS, 23,000miles, pulled car and half length from red light on SRT-4 with stage 1 turbo upgrade, BOV, intake, injectors, blah blah blah can't remember all the guy said. From 30-130 pulled a car length, and 60-130 pulled car and a half. On the stop had good launch, 6k RPM, clutch half out, dropped on green.

Will say this though, when it came time to go around a bank at high speed, neon couldn't keep up with only FWD. Again he tried to keep up on a windy back road. The SRT-4 may be great at straight line accel., and with heavy mods could shock some STi, Evo owners. But the handling is something they fall into the category with F body V8s.... there isn't any.
I AGREE
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Stage 1 from Mopar is basically an ECU flash and injectors. If he has an '04+ he wouldn't need injectors, they already come with 577s (I think). Anyway, stage 2 is where the real fun starts.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

srt4 handling isn't the worst in the world of FWD. at least these guys are trying:
http://www.sjr-scca.org/soloii/SJRResults_20050417.htm local autox. the str4's there are from noobs, hence the times.

notice how there are no evo's there? 4 srt4's, whole buncha wrx, 2 sti's.... all this talk about handling and yet no evo attended (myself included, but i'm not sure if i'll autox my evo at all) but at least i don't keep running my mouth. lemme guess where all the local evos were that sunday...prolly a drag strip? so if we're gonna talk about advantages of evo's, why does the comparison always end up talking about stageXXX and 1/4 times? evo's not a drag car, although it's great at it. oh yea, gotta love seeing that ITR all up there with wrx and such. prolly the best balanced FWD car ever. Honduh

and let's not tell ppl who don't track their cars that they shoulda woulda coulda bought a minivan. how do you know those ppl don't go crazy on mountain roads? at least they're not wasting all that performance on a 1/4 strip that lasts about 11-13 secs.
anyway, if i sound too harsh that's 'cause like someone pointed out, lots of BS evo owners out there.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:04 AM

Heres some more magazine racing defence for the poor lil srt...
May 2005 MPH magazine, page 78 or so...

"APEX TWINS"

Track test at Willow Springs on the 'Horse Thief Mile'...

0-60
BMW - 5.1
ACR - 5.7

1/4 mile
BMW - 13.4@107mph
ACR - 13.9@105mph

Lap Times
BMW on average only 0.15 sec quicker, 0.12 mph faster.

Price:
BMW - $55,840
ACR - $23,335

Yall gonna talk crap on the M3 too? My point? SRTs arent as bad as you're trying to make them sound! Not only that, its ok to give props where its due, leave the stereotyped drivers out of your thought process for 2 seconds, if possible.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by loj68
you'll have your hands full with some of those modded SRT-4's. They're running in the 10's with street driveable cars and slicks while putting 400+hp to the wheels. If I had an EVO I'd shy away from this because I'd hate to lose and be the guy that ends up in some "SRT-4's Rule" vid on the web for eternity. And honestly, it's a pointless competition anyways....these cars aren't in the same class at all....you might as well throw Civics in the mix for good measure.
With all due respect your statement is wrong, there are no street drivable SRT-4s running 10s as of now, the fastest street driven one last time I checked was Dynoworks at 11.1. If you know of any running 10s, please share with the rest of us, cuz this would certainly be news to me.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???