Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Would you participate or like to see an EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition?
Yes, I would like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
78.08%
No, I would not like to compete in or see an EVO vs. SRT-4 competition (drag racing and/or road course)
21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is this competition? Im down!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by cet_euro
Hmmmm SRT-4 is having big problems with Cobalt SS my friends and they have the guts to compare to us?!!!! Wow now that is quality entertainment. First of all there is no SRT-4 into the 10s. People that say that, are full of it. I talked with a couple of shops that tried to get the car into the 10s and they blew up 4 engines. These cars are extremly cheap built and I really don't know why people keep saying they are strong in a straight line. I raced my friends Srt-4 with Stage 3 on it and I stay 3 cars ahead everytime. All I did to my car is a TBE, and MBC. That is it and the guy cannot ever beat me. When I drove his car and he drove mine he pulled 5 or more cars ahead. So just to show you..... But my friend is really cool. He cannot afford a Evo so he bought a SRT-4. He never tought that he could take me even if he upgraded to max. SRT-4 sould worry about Cobalt SS, Saturn and RSX-Type S.
sorry but there are srt's in the 10's here in san antonio. i used to have a srt and it was faster than some evo's here. but i have up-graded and i really do agree with you that srt's are not in our class. but for some reason srt drivers are real cocky just like i used to be. and now i feel the need to put them in there place.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:32 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jason.moreno
sorry but there are srt's in the 10's here in san antonio. i used to have a srt and it was faster than some evo's here. but i have up-graded and i really do agree with you that srt's are not in our class. but for some reason srt drivers are real cocky just like i used to be. and now i feel the need to put them in there place.
Those cocky SRT-4 drivers. Man, it is just crazy how they think they can beat an EVO. By the way you can come put me in my place. I race for fun not ego's.

Last edited by j8; Mar 12, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j8
Those cocky SRT-4 drives. Man, it is just crazy how they think they can beat an EVO.
very much agree...

i had plenty of srt's pull up next to me ,rev their motors and race off...
(yea u got a louder bov but that dont make u fast buddy..)
i just shrug and turn up the tunes..
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with those that say there's really no comparison between the two cars. If it was all stock, all the time, I'm fairly certain the Evo would win in just about every catagory. If you start factoring in aftermarket work, you're no longer comparing the cars themselves, but the time and effort put into them. Then there's the driver's personal abilities...

Bottom line, SRT-4's can be a fun car for younger guys that want the power of a turbo vehicle without shelling out too much cash. The Evo, however, is a far more sophisticated beast for a, dare I say, more sophisticated driver (a few obvious exceptions aside )
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rane
I agree with those that say there's really no comparison between the two cars. If it was all stock, all the time, I'm fairly certain the Evo would win in just about every catagory. If you start factoring in aftermarket work, you're no longer comparing the cars themselves, but the time and effort put into them. Then there's the driver's personal abilities...

Bottom line, SRT-4's can be a fun car for younger guys that want the power of a turbo vehicle without shelling out too much cash. The Evo, however, is a far more sophisticated beast for a, dare I say, more sophisticated driver (a few obvious exceptions aside )
Nah uh...lol

For some reason Srt4 owners around here are THE cockiest things around next to Mustang owners...I don't know what it is but for some reason they're all trash talkers and when you ask them to run its ok well let me get race gas and we'll do it from a 65 mph roll...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
Nah uh...lol

For some reason Srt4 owners around here are THE cockiest things around next to Mustang owners...I don't know what it is but for some reason they're all trash talkers and when you ask them to run its ok well let me get race gas and we'll do it from a 65 mph roll...
I think you'll get cockiness anywhere you go...hell, I had an Evo do a ricer fly by just this weekend.

For the most part though, I find it's true you can really tell a lot about a person by the car they drive. Many Mustang owners feel the need to bark and pound their chest (yes, I've had one bark at me lol), while the majority of Corvette's don't really bother. Could it be they're mostly middle-aged men going through a mid-life crisis?

Loud as hell Civics? Either they fly by, or won't get near you.

BMW owners? Eh, typically made of money (or just driving something very deep into the "used" catagory) if their ride is anything above the 3 series. Still, not as agressive as Mustang owners, and are typically out just to drive, not race.

Personally, an SRT-4 could rev at me all he likes; it won't mean much. I'm much more honored when a Porsche is doing the revving.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I no of one fast SRT-4 in my area that I would not race and it is a friend of mine, but all the other stock/ supped up SRT-4 around are all cocky people. And the mustang owners as well. I have a few friends too that are still cocky with there mustakes. They are in there own universe and every thing revolves around them. They are just the $hit.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:16 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
Nah uh...lol

I guess you are hanging out with the wrong crowd of people in general. I have met a few idiots that drive SRT-4's, but then again I have met a few that drive EVO's. Some people seem to think their cars make them who they are. Others like me just use them to have fun in. I have seen people so uptight about there cars losing a race they won't even race because it would be such a blow to their ego. I just ignore them and hang out with anyone who enjoys cars. I never need race gas to have a fun run in the car.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I almost got pulled by an SS Cobalt. Surprised the hell out of me.

I had a Turbo PT, so I know the SRT-4 motor very well. They are a blast to drive, especially for the price. You guys think SRTers are cocky now, wait for the Caliber version with 300+ HP and sharing engine components with the Evo X.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:53 PM

the caliber version will also suposedly have awd. so that puts a new opponent in the evo vs sti race
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

wow, i remember this thread, why the hell are people still bringing it back?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:16 PM

i pulled an evo on the highway on a 120 mph race. with my stock srt-4, so maybe the evo is not all that.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We organized a local Tucson SRT-4 vs AWD competition shotout at SIR on January 27th and we lay all the smack down. That was the same day Al (Dynoflash) was in town(Tucson) tuning.

Evos won (I was third) and only one STI in the 13's. A couple of SRT-4 trapped 122mph but managed a best of 12.6's. I compited with two cars(Evo 9 and GSX)

We all had fun, I knew every competitor from before and we truly enjoyed the races. You got to show some respect to those SRT-4s, they are quick on hwy pulls and they also make silly power with silly mods.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 16, 2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The way I see it, you can make anything fast in a straight line. In my Nissan, all people heard was the low rumble of the exhaust (painted flat black to hide it) when they pulled up next to me. Aww... how cute, a little import with exhaust.... too bad they didn't see the front mount or the boost gauge that was on the steering column. And heck, my Nissan wasn't even THAT fast. I did go to school with a guy with a 500whp SRT-4. He pulled on another guy I know with a 500+whp Mustang Cobra that trapped 125mph.

For some reason, the Mustang owners take it the worst when they lose.... was always fun when their g/f's were in the car too Well, there was that one time the girl was driving the mustang.

Cars seem to fall into 3 major speed catagories it seems. Trap ~90mph and below (almost every car out there), trap around 100-105mph (350Z, Evo, STI, G35, IS350, Mustang GT, M3, S4, 911, cayman, etc), and those in the 115+mph range (C6, ferraris, 911 turbo, M5, M6, AMGs, etc).

My Nissan was just a little faster than group 2 which is mostly what you run into on the street. Surprised the hell out of a lot of people... especially the old school muscle car guys. I was at a track day and let a guy with a Saleen Mustang drive my Nissan around, he offered to trade, lol.

Back to the Evo, it falls in group 2. You can now buy by the G35 Sedan or Lexus IS350 and it'll trap essentially the same trap speed, or faster than the older Evos.

Quick Reply: EVO vs. SRT-4 Competition???