Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

How to go about buying a modded car.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to go about buying a modded car.

I was curious on how to go about a financed purchase of an N/A car turned forced induction. I see them all the time on eBay, nice cars, well done too... weather it is a 240sx with SR20det swap, a forced induction car with a bigger than stock turbo, turbo Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc etc. I know the credit unions and banks will only finance a car for what it is worth, only so much. I was wondering how to go about buying a modded vehicle if it's sale price is more than the stock form book value? Say there is a Supercharged 350z, a Turbo s2000... something like that... as long as you understand and have a list of all the mods done to the car and the history of it that can save a lot of time and money cashing in on someones time and money spent because no way are they going to get half back on what the mods and labor cost them, a chance for someone to get it cheaper than building.
Old May 14, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think what you may be missing is that modding our cars on our own is fun in itself. If I could have bought a perfectly fine 500whp Evo for x amount of dollars I would not have. I think half the fun is installing the parts on my car then seeing it go from fast to holy f--- shi-! But sorry I do not know how to answer your question. If the bank will only finance the stock car's value, then you probably have to have the difference in your downpayment. I'm not sure though, there has to be ways to purchase modded cars.

Last edited by Thegame; May 14, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 14, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thegame
I think what you may be missing is that modding our cars on our own is fun in itself. If I could have bought a perfectly fine 500whp Evo for x amount of dollars I would not have. I think half the fun is installing the parts on my car then seeing it go from fast to holy f--- shi-!

true that
Old May 26, 2005, 11:29 AM

You also don't know what hidden problems are lurking when you buy a modded car like that. There is more joy to be had and knowledge to be gained by doing it yourself. Just be sure to keep it RWD or AWD.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Don't buy a modded car unless you know the shop that did the mods and are sure they are done well.