Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Saw a blue STi being towed... DCCD damage?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw a blue STi being towed... DCCD damage?

Just half an hour ago, I was walking on my way to Peet's Coffee in Harvard Square, and I saw a tow truck go by with a nice blue STi. The weird coincidence is, five minutes later after I got my coffee and crossed the street, I heard an approximately college-age guy loudly asking somebody on his cell phone if they were towing his STi. I turned around and walked back to tell his friend that I had seen his car being towed, rolling on its rear wheels. The guy was yelling on the phone that they should've used a flatbed and he didn't see any parking signs and yada yada yada. The tow company guy apparently told him that they put the transmission in gear.

I read about the DCCD during the STi's launch, but I don't remember if it gets damaged from towing on the rear wheels. Can anybody intelligently elaborate on this subject?

I know that the '03 and '04 Evos must be towed on flatbeds due to the viscous center differential (like DSMs), but the '05 Evo's ACD disengages when the handbrake is pulled. Does pulling the handbrake allow conventional towing of '05 Evos?

Be very careful parking in Cambridge. I'm glad I have a resident sticker.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

AWD cars should always be put on a flat bed. this will destroy the lsd's if towed like you mentioned.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks, even if it disengauges i dont think it would be the best idea to tow it that way sucks for that guy
Old May 31, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

on the 2005 STis, the center disconnects when you pull the ebrake...