Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Can I return the car to the dealer? used car less than a week...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:04 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
KBB is garbage. Most dealers use Nada's guides.

But yeah, you're pretty much screwed.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is nada's? never heard of it
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

No way they will take it back. Don't sweat the KBB (they are all over the place). You did a nice thing for mom. Don't beat yourself up.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:55 AM

^^^^WerD
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

You think its bad that a dealer made a couple G's off of you? Wait till you buy a house! Then you'll realize what the dealer made off of you is a drop in the bucket. On a 30 year loan, you'll most likely pay double the value of a house if you were to pay the loan off. So...don't beat yourself up over it, welcome to America!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of car was it anyway??? If you can some how convince them the car is a "lemon", that might be a way out. But used cars are where dealers (new/used) make all their money for sure. Good luck my friend.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think you can in VA. I lived in Alexandria, and I've never heard of returning a car like that. What dealer did you buy from?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty much ok with it now. With the service they've given me so far I don't feel that grudge in the stomach anymore. The car had some minor issues and they are taking care of it free of charge, while lending me a loaner car which is a V6 mazda 6, nice car btw! I think that's what a dealer should be, you give them money, they take care of you. Plus it helps my mom so yah, I am pretty much ok with it now. Thanks for the advice evomers!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initialDRacer
There were some mechanical problems with the locks and the doors but they offer to have them fixed. They'll give me a rental car to get the car fixed the whole day. I didn't realize they make their money off of used cars...that makes sense...
I think a day or two is a little bit below your states lemon law. But I could be wrong.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High Voltage
I think a day or two is a little bit below your states lemon law. But I could be wrong.
There seemed to have been some issues with the financing of the car. The bank will only lend the retail value of the car which is 8k. They were forcing me to use my credit card to pay the rest which is around 2k. What am I to do at this point? I told them I don't have 2k in hand at the moment...
Old Jun 23, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if that is the case then the deal has not gone through. Tell them you do not have the cash and want to give the car back. They cannot make you put that on your credit card or force you to pay cash. They may tell you, you are bound to the car, but you are not. The bank did not fund the whole loan amount so the contract is actually void. Because they are going to have to redo some paperwork and that means you have to sign again. Which means you have a choice to keep it or leave it.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

The finance guy from the dealer said they would try to find another lender even if it's a higher rate. I will just tell them I found out that the car's retail value is more than 2k of the value that was given to me and the condition was good, not excellent.

So it seems fair that I do get the car's worth because they just cleaned it, they really didn't fix the problem with the rear doors not aligning properly.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa, if they try to change the financing deal now by going with a higher rate and different lender, then that original purchase agreement is void. If they revise it, don't sign it.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

you know when you are paying too much for a car when the bank won't loan you the full amount. they are making a little under 2k on you here. ofcourse they will try to find another lendor, they get more money and a higher interest rate. stay away from here, you got lucky the bank has morals. tell them for 8k it's a done deal, otherwise your gone.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

If they are saying the orignal financing is not good just say thanks, but no thanks and give them the car back. No skin off your back and you got to drive a free car for a couple days. No way would I ever finance a car with a credit card!!! Credit Cards

-Ron

Quick Reply: Can I return the car to the dealer? used car less than a week...