Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

05 RSX-S (New) vs. 03 Evo (Used)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 RSX-S (New) vs. 03 Evo (Used)

It's getting closer to when I get my car and I have a question... now I know this is an Evo site & that we're all biased in some way or another but try to think about what you personally would do.

I'm considering getting a new 05 RSX-S at the end of the year, or waiting a tiny bit longer and getting an 03 Lancer Evolution VIII.

Can you guys think of some pros and cons and what you would do in this situation?

Obviously the Evo is alot faster/torquey and has AWD, but I like the RSX interior 100x more and it would be brand new/reliable. Than again the Evo has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

So I'm not sure exactly what to do at this point, so any guidance possible would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Pastapuck; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this is a evom site, so people will always say Evo over lots of cars, but test drive both, and see which you like better. Its all what _YOU_ want, not everyone else. If it was me, I'd pick up a brand spankin new RSX-S, just because of the brand new factor.. but then again, the evo is a strong car with tons of potential, and still remains with the 10/100,000 warranty. But if the evo is modded, forget the dealership covering anything. If you can get a good deal on either car, take it.. both cars are great. The evo IS turbo'd though, and AWD, so you are all set there. The RSX-S is a little smaller, and has an interior that YOU like more. The evo would require more upkeeping maintenance, just because it is a turbo vehicle. Plus the insurance will probably be more. Check into all the aspects and look at/drive the cars in person to make your decision. Check with insurance companies to see how much you can afford before you jump into it right away. If you are building a car for race/speed/autox, the evo is the simple choice.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Dude...jesus christ...your comparing frickin grean peas to grapefruits man.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:36 AM

wiretap, thanks for the constructive reply, it's very helpful and has me thinking. I do appreciate it.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:36 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

You said "05 Lancer Evolution VIII" in your message -- but said "03 Evo (Used)" in the title. So between the 3, get a new Evo and have a ton of fun
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Evo, used or new, it will still be more fun than type S.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

is this zach!!!

GET THE EVO!!

its 04BBY!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Slow vs Fast.

Scorke
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

I thought about getting an RSX type-s before my second Accord. I traded my second Accord in for an EVO! i've test drove an RSX type-s and i've got an evo now, u'll be happier with the Evo!! Trust me!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rmhaffa04
is this zach!!!

GET THE EVO!!

its 04BBY!
Yeah man, hey!

Thanks for all the comments
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

night & day
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:44 AM

Does Mitsubishi cancel the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty for mods like:

Exhaust, intake, ect?
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

^-- it does depend on your dealership and who is running the service department that day. My dealership doesn't care if people mod their lancers, evo's, eclipse's, etc.. but if they can tell you did damage to your car from racing (which is pretty easy), they won't cover you. Look at all my mods, they still cover me. But other dealerships are different, like if you put on a K&N airfilter, they will void you. I've heard all different stories. Check it out with your salesmen or service dept first. Tell them the products you would want to upgrade to are top quality or are not going to be used for "racing" purposes. Sometimes that helps.

I hear WORKS (www.worksevo.com) offers warranties or guarantees on their products similar to the factory warranty, so if something goes wrong, they cover their parts. I just ordered their Stage2 clutch and flywheel.. and my dealership is ok with that because I let them know ahead of time that I just want something that has stronger holding power and grips instantly.. plus the flywheel reduces stress on the engine. It pays just to go in and talk to some of the service managers sometimes and let them know the situation. I am sort of friends with the guys now, and they know I don't tear apart my car and race it.. its just a hobby.

But looking back, both cars would be "fun to drive" if it were a RSX-S or an Evo. heck, my Lancer OZ is fun to drive.. even though its pretty slow, lol. It takes corners awesome, and is pretty quick with my mods so far.. for an econo-box car. (as fast as my moms 2002 v6 camaro)
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pastapuck
Does Mitsubishi cancel the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty for mods like:

Exhaust, intake, ect?
Ive got an intake, bov, they havnt voided mine, but thats in fort myers!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

^^ plus a block adaptor on my block!