Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Question about the electric supercharger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the electric supercharger

Ok, everyone, first off I'd like to mention please don't flame me for what I am about to ask. I am asking on behalf of a friend becuase I don't know the answer.
He has a 1993 Saturn SW2 that he wants to supercharge with one of those electric superchargers...you know, the ones you can find on Ebay for about 60 bucks. Go ahead and roll your eyes, I did too. Anyways, I told him they are crap, and don't give it a second thought. He wants more of a justification for my answer, but I can't really give him one besides the fact that REAL supercharger kits are about eleventy million times more expensive than his cheapy ebay one he wants to get. If it were a quality supercharger, it wouldn't be universal, and wouldn't cost less than a GReddy oil cap, lol.

Anyways, put some sense into my friend, and tell him that the electric supercharger is a big pile of steaming C R A P O L A.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

run a search on it, we've discussed it more than once
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear leaf blowers work better.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

at a certain higher rpm the air that's being sucked in by the engine will want to move FASTER then the air supplied by that fan. the fan becomes a blockage for that air and will actually interfere with the normal engine operation. the end
if he wants this thing, he might as well just give u the money for nothing, same effect=waste. if he's STILL not convinced, let him get the damn thing and see it for himself.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor

well said.. or just let him buy it, and when he relizises its junk, use it as a cooling fan for your face on a hot day..
Originally Posted by JoizeeX
at a certain higher rpm the air that's being sucked in by the engine will want to move FASTER then the air supplied by that fan. the fan becomes a blockage for that air and will actually interfere with the normal engine operation. the end
if he wants this thing, he might as well just give u the money for nothing, same effect=waste. if he's STILL not convinced, let him get the damn thing and see it for himself.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 05:07 AM

They don't flow enough CFM to be effective, and as mentioned above it will become an obstruction, not to mention if the cheap parts that it is composed of break apart, it will go straight into the intake followed by the engine.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

just "T" a line from his A/C and direct it thru his intake system....he'll probably see more gains.... ....on serious note, slap him!!