Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

How much faster is the gto

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sleet
I've seen a GTO run a 17.6 due to tractioin issues Goats.

you guys are funny!!!! that is more like driver error.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yellow04
you guys are funny!!!! that is more like driver error.
I know it was driver error, he was talking all kinds of **** to me at the track. Took him atleast 5 seconds to complete the 60ft alone and he almost hit a wall. Bad first experience with a GTO I guess, I don't like them. Silly goats
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
I know it was driver error, he was talking all kinds of **** to me at the track. Took him atleast 5 seconds to complete the 60ft alone and he almost hit a wall. Bad first experience with a GTO I guess, I don't like them. Silly goats

there are those kinds of lame *** owners of every kind of car. even the almighty EVO

but that should not make you hate the car. the gto is bad ***, i love mine and will always.

i have met quite a few lame *** evo owners, but i still want one some day. and you have to admit , no matter how bad of a driver you are,it is a lot harder to launch a rwd car than a awd car. especially when you drive a stick
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're heavy and handle like s**t. I don't really see the comparison.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8868
I went to the Pontiac / GMC / Oldsmobile drive event today at Irvine, CA and drove the 05 GTO and Solstice on a coned driving course. It was a lot of fun. Rhys Millen was also there to demonstrate his drifting GTO race car. They had a dyno that also simulated the quarter mile run. The automatic tranny 05 GTO dynoed at 355whp and 357whp on what I believe was a dynojet dyno. The simulated quarter runs produced 1/4 times / trap speeds of 13.02sec/108mph and 12.88sec/108mph. Also the auto is supposedly quicker in the 0-60 than the manual by 0.1 sec (4.6 vs. 4.7).

It was quite impressive. My impressions of the GTO were quite improved after attending today's event. If I was in the market for a fast and affordable highway cruiser that's comfortable in traffic, the automatic 05/06 GTO would definitely be at the top of my list.
OT: where in irvine? i live in irvine and i know of no such place where this event could possibly happen, the only recent thing that has happened here that i know about was the saleen open house
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
name a domestic that isnt those things, and the evo isnt exactly a light car
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsevo

have you ever driven one??? or ever been in one??? im not trying to copare mine to the evo.

but in a strait line i think mine would win. it was not made to be a canyon carver like the evo.

we are talking about whos is faster. right??

the ls1 engine is a monster on the freeway, i played with a STI a few months back on the 15 south. he had exhaust, and dont know what esle. i was bone stock in my 04 gto 350 hp version.

we would take off and i would just keep pulling on him. im not saying i ate him for lunch, but i did pull on him. i would say i the gto weighs at least 4-500 lbs more and i only have 50 hp or less considering his mods.

i would love race some evos on the freeway in the next month or 3. my car will have a vortech supercharger system on it, pushing 7-8 psi and will have about 500hp at the engine with no other mods. there are a 2 guys on my forum that have the vortech on their car, they have a custom tune and headers, and are making 510hp at the wheels!!!!! damn impressive
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

there are those kinds of lame *** owners of every kind of car. even the almighty EVO

but that should not make you hate the car. the gto is bad ***, i love mine and will always.

i have met quite a few lame *** evo owners, but i still want one some day. and you have to admit , no matter how bad of a driver you are,it is a lot harder to launch a rwd car than a awd car. especially when you drive a stick
It's also not that easy to launch AWD being how alot of people post their times here and running like 14's and whatnot stock even modded. I've been to the track and i've only see 2 EVOs actually run good times.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know but couple of weeks earlier.. Car and Driver had a comparison with the STi and GTO ( Both 05 and the GTO was 400hp). Overall the STI beat the GTO in almost every category except one i don't remember. Since the GTO is not AWD, they said the GTO was trouble releasing all 400 of its horses.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

there are a 2 guys on my forum that have the vortech on their car, they have a custom tune and headers, and are making 510hp at the wheels!!!!! damn impressive
damn, that does sound pretty sweet, any links to your fourm where we could see some pics?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
from a roll only
I would say it would be a drivers race from a stop too. I would put money on the better driver. But yes from a roll definatly the GTO.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Handmemyarms
damn, that does sound pretty sweet, any links to your fourm where we could see some pics?
www.ls1gto.com

Attached Thumbnails How much faster is the gto-pon_0512_blown_gto_11_z.jpg   How much faster is the gto-p1010005.jpg   How much faster is the gto-035_bumper_back_on.sized.jpg  
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importkiller
I would say it would be a drivers race from a stop too. I would put money on the better driver. But yes from a roll definatly the GTO.

Agreed , but when you start modding, it could be anyone depending on the modds.

so it really doesnt matter who is faster modded right???

stock for stock. is what really matters, and i think they are pretty close.

you guys could modd and bam faster than a gto, and then we can modd and bam faster than a evo

look

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video...66_130_mph.wmv
Old Sep 25, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

The 05 GTO is very fast... I had one roll up on me like a week after I bought my EVO. From a rolling start he stayed right with me even started to pull a little before we had to slow down... He had 5 people in his.... I was alone...lol yeah a stock GTO could beat a stock EVO
Old Sep 25, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Hey all, been a while since I was here with my '03 Evo. Been through 2 cars since selling it back in January of '04. Lots of people here probably still have parts from my returning it to stock and selling everything on the board here. I was the first clutch job done at Titan Motorsports when mine went out at 4500 miles.

Ok, I have owned a stock Evo, and a stock '04 GTO. Stock for stock the Evo would take the '04, though it comes down to drivers. Toss in a corner or a quick stop, and the GTO would be a speck in the rear view mirror. My Evo was the best handling and stopping car I have ever owned.

Stock Evo vs '05 GTO, Evo off the line, GTO rapidly overtaking by the 1/8th. Interstate speeds the LS2 would own the Evo.

But how many Evos are stock? How many GTOs? Not too damn many. Mine is more obvious than most, with a different fascia and an STS cat back turbo (lag is irrelevant on a torquey V8, 492rwhp at 6K RPMS is lovely).

Both are excellent cars, but apples and oranges in extremes. The Evo is an autocross and road course king, the GTO is about the most perfect touring car I have owned (including my modded '90 300ZX TT). I like em both, a lot.

I love being able to casually say "Yep, I owned and Evo" to all of the ricer kiddies who come into the shop. I also love being able to start my GTO and let it sit there with choppy idle and the whole car oscillating from the cam lope. You have to appreciate any performance car, screw the stereotyping and "brand loyalty".

Nice visiting again, look for more of you all down on the streets here in Melbourne, FL.

Quick Reply: How much faster is the gto