Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Previous STi Owners, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previous STi Owners, Please Help!

I'm probably going to get slapped for this question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have 8000 miles on my 2005 STi, and I've never noticed any "turbo whine," or a "pshht" between shifts, until this afternoon.

I'm noticing turbo whine at the top of 3rd gear, and all the way into 6th, even at a steady cruising speed.

It sounds like when an airplane is sitting still, and then starts accelerating slowly from the standstill to take-off speed. Obviously, the turbo whine gets louder as I accelerate.

The only reason I ask is because I've never noticed this within logging 8000 miles on the car. Is this "whining" normal?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:39 PM
Account Disabled

isnt there a subaru forum around?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I'm probably going to get slapped for this question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have 8000 miles on my 2005 STi, and I've never noticed any "turbo whine," or a "pshht" between shifts, until this afternoon.

I'm noticing turbo whine at the top of 3rd gear, and all the way into 6th, even at a steady cruising speed.

It sounds like when an airplane is sitting still, and then starts accelerating slowly from the standstill to take-off speed. Obviously, the turbo whine gets louder as I accelerate.

The only reason I ask is because I've never noticed this within logging 8000 miles on the car. Is this "whining" normal?

Thanks!

I recently sold my 05 sti, with 25K miles on it. Half of miles were stock, half with cobb ap and a txs tbe with cat. Definitely more noticeabe turbo sounds with txs downpipe. It also was noticeably louder with windown down at low speeds vs windows up. I doubt anything has changed on your car, unless you have changed mods. Are you sure the whining isnt gear whine from the front diff?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Did you recently do any mods to your car? What you describe sounds like you changed the stock intake.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akasirlancerlot
isnt there a subaru forum around?
Isn't this posted in the "Other Cars Forum?" Yes, I believe it is. In this case, I'm not quite sure why it's an issue......

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Oct 24, 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverlining
I recently sold my 05 sti, with 25K miles on it. Half of miles were stock, half with cobb ap and a txs tbe with cat. Definitely more noticeabe turbo sounds with txs downpipe. It also was noticeably louder with windown down at low speeds vs windows up. I doubt anything has changed on your car, unless you have changed mods. Are you sure the whining isnt gear whine from the front diff?
The only mod I have right now is a Cobb AccessPORT Stage 1 tune, and a K&N panel filter. I haven't done any other mods.

I'm pretty sure it's not the gears, because they sound more like a "howl," than a whine. If I stab the throttle quick enough that it just starts to take off, I can hear it. If I put the car in "Neutral," and stab the throttle, I don't hear it. It doesn't get loud inside the car (sounds like a typical airplane ride inside the car) until I hit the top of 3rd. It's only then that it really makes itself known. In 6th gear at a steady cruise, it's not loud, but I can still hear it, but only barely. I hear it when I'm going any faster than about 60 mph in 6th, or if I shift into 6th at a lower speed, and try to accelerate.

Did you recently do any mods to your car? What you describe sounds like you changed the stock intake.
BlingBling, nope, no other mods. I haven't changed anything to do with air except for install a K&N panel filter.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:52 PM

i believe it is the turbo. i hear mine once in a while. it's kinda like a high whistling noise.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b4437
i believe it is the turbo. i hear mine once in a while. it's kinda like a high whistling noise.
Mine sounds between an airplane taking off on a slow start and a mosquito buzzing in your ear.....
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:38 AM

the diff has always whined... but i hear all kinds of sounds now with my turboxs fmic, intake, pde downpipe, invidia catback... no check engine lights or cruise lights blinking?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:17 PM

It's normal, and even louder when is cold. So get use to it...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STISTL
It's normal, and even louder when is cold. So get use to it...
Thanks, bro! I appreciate the post. That definitely seems to be the case.

A buddy of mine who also owns an STi stopped over today, and he has an TBE/downpipe, and he advised that the sounds I was hearing were perfectly normal.

I guess that from riding around with the windows open and the radio up for 8000 miles, I just haven't noticed it.

Again, thanks for the posts, everyone.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

There is another wonderful noise you will hear, but you have to be going over 100, up to 125 or so, it's a great howl/roar noise. I recommend you test this out, asap and routinely.

Oh and you need to go to stage two, night and day over stage one! Period. PM for any second or third opinions on set-ups, I did a lot of research/ride-alongs. FYI, my catted turboxs turbo-back passed PA emissions for the guy that bought it. He just swapped the race pipe in a few weeks ago, no boost creep issues either, but it is going to get colder soon.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverlining
There is another wonderful noise you will hear, but you have to be going over 100, up to 125 or so, it's a great howl/roar noise. I recommend you test this out, asap and routinely.

Oh and you need to go to stage two, night and day over stage one! Period. PM for any second or third opinions on set-ups, I did a lot of research/ride-alongs. FYI, my catted turboxs turbo-back passed PA emissions for the guy that bought it. He just swapped the race pipe in a few weeks ago, no boost creep issues either, but it is going to get colder soon.
I may have heard that sound once or twice.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

i believe the term for this is turbospool!!!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah bro deffinately normal. for ***** and giggles i would look at the air intake box just to make sure all of the clamps are tight. one of the silver ones that hold the box shut popped off on my 05'STi and made the sound alot more noticeable.

Quick Reply: Previous STi Owners, Please Help!