Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Cayenne Turbo Move Over

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some track ability yeah get a life? The jeep is 46K optioned out, it seats 5, it will do as much off roading as any other soccer mom SUV does except Dad will like driving this one.

Don't forget they already have paxton SC unit for the Hemi for 4.4K if won't be long before something is out for this and you'll see a 12 second kid haulin Jeep spanking EVO's, mustangs, etc.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it seated 6!!

Last edited by Jasil; Jan 6, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wifes mother just got the 5.7L Jeep and let me tell you if that thing gets any faster i might have to trade in my EVO on one.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

See I thougtht there were more people that like this Jeep.

I want to see this thing in person. And when I do I want to see short over hangs, lower ride height and somewhat of a chopped roof. At least from what I have seen on tv, this is what its going to look like in person.

Then maybe throw in a 7/70k warrenty, 0% for 60 months, free service, and a hell of a trade in for my evo....................O g'sssss.... Man I would still have such sellers remorse for not having my great little Evo........

O well.......... The evo is going to be a hard car to get out of. Probably be a keeper.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I guess this displaces the Forester XT as one of the fastest SUVs. Even with mods it won't keep up with this thing.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

the jeep looks awesome but still IMO the cayenne has much better styling
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Well, not really IMO. The Cayenne has never been a stunning looker. You have to deck it out w/ 20's and spend a lot of money in options to make it look hot.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I like the lines of the Touareg better........esp. with the v-10 turbo deisel
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
What percentage of Jeeps sold do you see rock crawling? Most jeeps are family cars and grocery getters, just like the lancer.

The true point of the vehilce is to give large car or SUV shoppers the option of having a quick vehicle. The car is not meant as an off-roader nor is it meant to be a track animal. Purists of both forms of motorsport will be dissapointed at the performance at either compared to purpose built machines.

But you dont need either of those qualities to have a fun truck for the street. The advantage that this vehicle brings to the table over other similarly priced SUVs is that instead of just being bored on the drive, there is actually decent power and cornering ability to make things more entertaining.

All this truck does is make a large, practical vehicle more enjoyable to drive when the sports car isnt an option. In that sense, and at this price, I dont think its rediculous at all.

The SRT8 IS cheaper than a fully loaded Limited...and still has most of the amenities. In fact, I'd imagine that most of those who paid MORE MONEY for a fully loaded 5.7L Grand Cherokee are kicking themselves right now. I would be.
I agree, my wife just bought a jeep grand cherokee and we like it, traded in a 05 volvo for it so the luxury isn't there, but we needed a bigger family vehicle now that I sold my tahoe too. So the point that the jeep srt-8 isn't track or off road capable is sort of a minute point as state above, b/c most people that buy one won't be racing the srt-8 jeep or climbing rocks.

I like it b/c we need something big to take snowboards and stuff around and I like the reliability of jeeps. I like the idea of having a grande cherokee that has a decent engine so that I don't feel like I am always waiting for the power to kick in. It's hard to drive anything after the EVO, i think you guys would agree, I hate driving any of my wife's cars now.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I was reading a Motor Trend article and the price as tested for the Porsche was $96,xxx. If I wanted to go faster in the Srt, I'd do ported heads, cam, and a 75-100 shot.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silvrevo
I like the lines of the Touareg better........esp. with the v-10 turbo deisel
me too
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:33 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

The negativity you guys are picking up on in my posts is targeted towards SUVs. I basically think they are a marketing ploy to get people to buy minivans and station wagons by repackaging them as off-road vehicles.

The compromise for looking cool is poor fuel economy and crappy, numb handling.

Yes, the SRT-8 is fast for an SUV. It is, however still an SUV. I would have to equate it to a Ford Lightening. Fast in a straight line. Can’t stop or handle and utterly worthless around a race track. Why? Because it is still a pickup truck..

If you happen to feel that the Jeep is any good to drive in any capacity other than straight line then you have absolutely no concept of what the true capabilities of your Evo actually are. Don’t worry – most people don’t.

For those of you that happen to think that the Jeep is a rival for the Cayenne around the track. (please note that I don’t like the Cayenne either). Let’s analyze their heritage

Jeep: Known for many years for making off-road vehicles and SUVs
Porsche: Known for making high end capable sports cars and race cars.

The Cayenne is Porsche’s only example of an SUV. Judging from their expertise, will this vehicle perform on road? Jeeps history is exclusively SUVs and off-road vehicles. Drawing from all of their experience and using an existing chassis, how good can this vehicle possibly be on the track?

I will agree that the Jeep is better when the Porsche out performs it on an off-road situation
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

hey guys...I don't get how the comparison between this jeep srt-8 grand cherokee and the porsche cayenne. To me they are in two totally different arenas, true they both have a lot of horsepower for an SUV but if you compare the two they are differnt, for one the huge price difference. In order to get into a cayenne with the same horsepower you have to get the Cayenne turbo with MSRP of $90,200. This is what I found on edmunds, jsut b/c I'm bored at work

Jeep SRT-8 Grand cherokee
msrp $39,300
6.1L V8
425HP/420 ft.lbs

Porsche Cayenne base
msrp $42,200
V6
247hp/229ft. lbs

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
msrp $90,200
4.5L V8
450hp/460ft.lbs

Still why would anyone take any SUV on the track, I think the main reason for these SUVs is to have a more capable and fun driving experience while not sacraficing the space of an SUV. I would never trade in my EVO for one, but I would trade in my wifes car!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

All that hp & torque and it can't tow schit (3500 lbs)

what a POS.

Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

well thats just it, the cayenne does both better (on and off road). i test drove one and was a passenger as our sales guy put it through its paces. its simply amazing, it corners flat with almost no body roll. it also tows signifagantly more than the srt8. and so many options it makes your head spin. and lets not forget the quality of the paint vs a jeep.

yes its more expensive, but well justified. wait til the redesigned 07s hit... and the ultimate cayenne turbo S, will rule all.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Why even make a V6 Cayenne? Now that's a joke.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Cayenne Turbo Move Over