Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Cayenne Turbo Move Over

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTB
I have never understood the SUV craze. To me they are just station wagons with a suspension lift and a little marketing genius thrown in. They have a high seating position to make mom feel safe and enough attitude for dad to drive and not feel like a wuss.
Sadly they also have all the benefits of an off-road vehicle such as a high center of gravity, poor fuel economy and poor drivability. Ahh the sacrifices we make for image

I guess there is a market for it; you will just never see one in my garage.
Amen to that, SUVs are such a waste.

Anyways, even though it would never work as an actual Jeep and defeats the purpose of its own name, its pretty cool.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:24 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kordwood
Why even make a V6 Cayenne? Now that's a joke.
It is targeted towards Boxster owners
Old Jan 6, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone who drives one of these with even the slightest bias towards performance will be lucky to get 8mpg.

"Hey honey! Guess what? We can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds with the kids in the back! But I had to get a second mortgage to pay for the gas. No worries!"

People who buy this car are not in the market for an X5 or Cayenne. They don't have the money. And they'll have a lot less of it after the monthly payments, insurance and last but not least, their gas bills! Just what we all need at this point...yet another gaz guzzler from Chrysler. As if Hummers weren't bad enough. And to top it all off, it's going to affect US, the Evo owner. Every soccer mom or 16-year-old who just got their license is going to try and take us off the line. And we'll have none of that, no sir! Sigh...it's only going to make things worse.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
Anyone who drives one of these with even the slightest bias towards performance will be lucky to get 8mpg.
And the same could be said for almost ANY full size SUV. Opps, they don't have performance, the Jeep does....that's why it's special!

"Hey honey! Guess what? We can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds with the kids in the back! But I had to get a second mortgage to pay for the gas. No worries!"
Hmm, lets compare it to the Toyota Sequoia---it gets 15mpg city, lets say the Jeep gets 13mpg. If the average family drives an average of 12,000 miles per year, that would be 923 gallons compared to 800 gallons. In other words, @$2.25per gallon x 123 = $276 extra per year.------second mortgage???

People who buy this car are not in the market for an X5 or Cayenne. They don't have the money. And they'll have a lot less of it after the monthly payments, insurance and last but not least, their gas bills!
You'll have bills and insurance with any vehicle you drive. Gas bills will be less than $300 more(if any) compared to SUVs of similar size.
Just what we all need at this point...yet another gaz guzzler from Chrysler.
Just what the world needs....a 270hp Toyota that gets 15mpg or a Mutsu Montero with 215hp that gets 15mpg
Old Jan 7, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
And the same could be said for almost ANY full size SUV. Opps, they don't have performance, the Jeep does....that's why it's special!

Hmm, lets compare it to the Toyota Sequoia---it gets 15mpg city, lets say the Jeep gets 13mpg. If the average family drives an average of 12,000 miles per year, that would be 923 gallons compared to 800 gallons. In other words, @$2.25per gallon x 123 = $276 extra per year.------second mortgage???

You'll have bills and insurance with any vehicle you drive. Gas bills will be less than $300 more(if any) compared to SUVs of similar size. Just what the world needs....a 270hp Toyota that gets 15mpg or a Mutsu Montero with 215hp that gets 15mpg
+1...not saying I have to get one of these, but how is this that much different than our evo's, in terms that a high performance 4 door vehicle was probably looked at kinda weird years ago and it has just become a more popular choice with the onslought of new choices. to each their own, but I dont think the gas guzzling, expensive suv argument is really all that valid. I mean we aren't getting 30mpg with our evos either.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

People who buy this car are not in the market for an X5 or Cayenne. They don't have the money. And they'll have a lot less of it after the monthly payments, insurance and last but not least, their gas bills! Just what we all need at this point...yet another gaz guzzler from Chrysler. As if Hummers weren't bad enough. And to top it all off, it's going to affect US, the Evo owner. Every soccer mom or 16-year-old who just got their license is going to try and take us off the line. And we'll have none of that, no sir! Sigh...it's only going to make things worse.
Gas guzzler?!?! Don't you drive an Evo?

I'd take this over the X5 or the current Cayenne.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 09:59 PM

Honestly I can't stand either but the Porsche will at least have some track ability. The Jeep is a complete joke.

[/QUOTE]

May'be you should actually wait until the jeep is tested before making a judgement
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

does the hemi have the feature where it switches to four cylinders for highway driving? like the 300c.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wookie
Honestly I can't stand either but the Porsche will at least have some track ability. The Jeep is a complete joke.

Track ability? Do your really think that anyone who has a Cayenne or an X5 cares about the track? This truck would be a blast in 1/4 mile especially with a couple of mods. The 6.1 Hemi has proven to be an excellent engine and is making big power.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3240
Track ability? Do your really think that anyone who has a Cayenne or an X5 cares about the track? This truck would be a blast in 1/4 mile especially with a couple of mods. The 6.1 Hemi has proven to be an excellent engine and is making big power.
I'm with you bro. I think its pretty neat, I'm sure the jeep will be a blast to drive. Besides anybody that buys a $90K vehicle (the porsche) & seriously off-roads it is out of their mind. The Cayenne is ugly as s**t, and my friendsDodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo with the adjustable boost setting module was dead even with a Cayenne Turbo up to 100......towing a trailer........with 2 street bikes on it. Cayenne = overpriced German garbage.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

i think that's a cool car! but I would never buy one..although I'm waiting for a Grand Caravan SRT-8 inside joke between me and my best friend..both our parents drive a grand caravan and we call it the "nice van" and religiously follow it..sarcastically..yet, seriously

I'd like to see an AWD, V8 HEMI Grand Caravan. Now THAT would be something to haul kids, bags of dirt, trailer, etc in
Old Jan 8, 2006, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Guys let's keep some perspective here. We are on EVOm, a car enthusiast forum that focuses on vehicle performance and improving it. I would even venture to say that most of us are hp freaks or maybe awhp freaks. As such, I think it is great any time a manufacturer improves the performance of any of their vehicles. A better accerlerating and handling SUV is great. The same thing goes for a wagon or sedan.

Finally, any time the "fun to drive factor" is made better, we should all be happy and hope it's successful. More success, means more fun to drive vehicles. Look at the Subaru line and the availabilty of 2.5 turbo in most every vehicle now. Who would have thought the WRX would lead to a Legacy that does 0-60 in 5.7.

Last edited by robertrinaustin; Jan 8, 2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Give it a year before someting goes bad on it......soo much power in such a big hunk of metal is just a death trap.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I drove 25K last year and my wife drove 19K. Premium gas, at the momet, is about $2.65 a gallon versus $2.35 a gallon for premium. I have a friend with a Hemi Durango and in the city he actually sees between 8 and 12 mpg. Towing on the highway isn't that much better when he has a race to go to. So for me, that would be well over $6K a year JUST in gas! Gas isn't getting cheaper. It's getting more expensive. It's gone up about 20 cents in the past month here and it doesn't look to be going down significantly any time soon. So two years down the road, when gas prices may be $3 a gallon on average it'll be even more expensive.

I tend to average around 21-22mpg in the Evo in city driving and about 26-28 on the highway, steady state cruising. This is far better in the city than my last daily driver which was doing well if it pulled down 10-12mpg. It was however, very good on the highway and equalled the Evo, mostly due to it's light weight, aerodynamics, and it's tune in that particular area of vacuum. They both used premium and I can definitely see the impact in my monthly gas bills and overall finances. I live in an area that has the highest median home prices in the state of Florida, so every penny counts!

I'm sure the SRT-8 weighs well north of 4,000 pounds. Not exactly the most dynamic vehicle in the world and probably not the safest at speed. But we're a nation of consumers and straight line dummies so I'm sure it'll do very well. It works for Mercedes. Take a crap chassis and drop in the most powerful engine they can. That company definitely has our number huh?

Originally Posted by E. Haskell

You'll have bills and insurance with any vehicle you drive. Gas bills will be less than $300 more(if any) compared to SUVs of similar size. Just what the world needs....a 270hp Toyota that gets 15mpg or a Mutsu Montero with 215hp that gets 15mpg
Old Jan 8, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Guys let's keep some perspective here. We are on EVOm, a car enthusiast forum that focuses on vehicle performance and improving it. I would even venture to say that most of us are hp freaks or maybe awhp freaks. As such, I think it is great any time a manufacturer improves the performance of any of their vehicles. A better accerlerating and handling SUV is great. The same thing goes for a wagon or sedan.

Finally, any time the "fun to drive factor" is made better, we should all be happy and hope it's successful. More success, means more fun to drive vehicles. Look at the Subaru line and the availabilty of 2.5 turbo in most every vehicle now. Who would have thought the WRX would lead to a Legacy that does 0-60 in 5.7.
This forum needs more people with attitudes like your's. I honestly thought people on this forum would appreciate any type of vehicle that hauls the mail. Instead it seems like a large percentage - not everyone mind you - are insecure little *****es that want to bash anything that's not an evo. I cant even believe people are talking about MPG on a forum for high performance cars. Sorry, rant off.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Cayenne Turbo Move Over