Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Porsche Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG)

sorry if this is a repost...anybody heard of this yet? On Nov. 14, 2005 (100th anniversary of the invention of the turbocharger), Porsche announced that the next 911 turbo will incorporate variable turbine geometry. From Porsche, "the core feature of VTG is variable turbine blades, which articulate to most effectively guide the flow of exhaust gases from the engine onto the turbine wheel...to combine the benefits of a small and large turbocharger in one unit."

Porsche calls it a first for a gasoline engine (it's been used in diesel applications for years), but I guess there have been a few uses before (i.e. '89 Dodge Shelby Shadow CSX VNT). Either way, I can't wait to see the 997 Turbo - should be sick!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

We've been promised VATN turbos for years, but they've never materialized. Now Porsche is going to make them a reality? Cool.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem has been getting the mechanism to stand up to the higher EGTs found in gas engines.

On a related note, Audi is reported to run a diesel in LeMans this year and one of the Lolas ran a VW v10 diesel in 04' which did well intil it sprayed diesel fuel all over the track. It had a crazy turbo with what looked like SR-71 jet intakes on each turbo. Variable inlet apeture?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

yes,heard it about one month ago.
I hope they will have a success on the system.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is a great idea, this technology has been in use for about 15 years now in many many diesel turb aplications among them Volkswagen . Very popular in the European market indeed.

The turbo gives you superfast spool and it adjust the blades while boosting to change the pitch to achieve maximum boost efficiency. Some of the turbos like that have spring loaded centrifugal blades. These turbos are usually expensive but extremelly efficient.

It kind of reminds me the AC-130 Hercules plane turbo propeller, the engine always runs at the same speed but when it needs to take off from a short runway it just changes the pitch position of the blades therefore it achieves full trust instantly allowing the plane to take off in a short distance, the same principle apllies here..