Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Im a previous owner of 2 Evo's and now going to be buying an Sti I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brijen123
This is with me and my wife being insured under 2 cars
okay makes sense now. 150 that a few buck lower than me on a 05 STi when I was trying to decide evo or sti.

I dont go through alot of miles and I test drove the Evo IX and thought it felt alot like my VIII's except with a little better top end.
I should go drive one just to see, but that always leads to new cars. I rack up lots of miles, thats why I dont lease cars.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ashumo
okay makes sense now. 150 that a few buck lower than me on a 05 STi when I was trying to decide evo or sti.

I should go drive one just to see, but that always leads to new cars. I rack up lots of miles, thats why I dont lease cars.

I drive about 8,000 to 10,000 mile per year sometimes lower.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Dealer has a brand new 05 still on the showroom which s in Crystal Gray metallic but I really like the new 2006 model in steel gray. I am leaning towards the 05 because of some reasons which I will list below. Can you tell me if I am making the right choice on the 05? thanks

1. Insurance drops 250.00 in 6 months on the 05 apposed to 120.00 on the 06
2. Its an 05 but it is dtill brand new so the miles will look extra low
3. I get the short shift pkg,dimming mirror,and 6 in dash cd player on the 05
4. payments will be about 15-20 bucks cheaper on an sti with more options
5. Even no I like the 06 front end you cant go wrong with the 05 front end
I don't think you are balancing the decisions fairly.

1) The insurance is going to be higher in a newer car no matter what, so that explains the first one. A 06 STI has a higher value in the market than a 05 STI with same mileage,equipment,etc,etc
2) The comment about being a 05 but looking extra low miles is self explanatory, the car hasn't being sold and was on the show room for a while, remember, the new STI was launched maybe 2-3 months ago so your explanation is out of the window
3) As far as I know, the STI comes with a short throw shifter, also the 05 were equipped with a CD player stock, you don't want the 6 in 1 cd player anyway, I had it and it went bad 4 months after I bought the car, so no advantages here.
4) The payments are going to vary not only becuase of the options but also because of the overall price,financing,credit,etc. So this explanation of yours does have much logic either. If I buy a Evo with SSL package instead of a Evo without SSL package that means you are going to pay the extra $15-20 a month for the extra equipment.
5) If you don't like the 06 front end that means this is a personal choice, I don't like the 06 front end either that is why you have many other car choices.

Before jumping into conclusions go and test drive a Evo9 GSR or MR, in my opinion the RS would be my last choice among Evo9GSR,MR or STI.

Good luck!!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Can't go wrong with any either car if you ask me. It all comes down to what I can afford
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

To me IMO the Evo looks better in a stealthy way and the Sti looks better in a aggressive warrior type way. Both cars have great body lines but I do prefer the front mount intercooler on the Evo which is also more effecient.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct, don't get me wrong, you have to balance your budget and also your taste, Do I like Ferrari Enzo? Yes, Can I afford it? No. This is not your case, I think you can afford either car(06 STI,05STI,06Evo9 ) but I heard you, you want to save money here and there.

If you are trying to squeze an extra $30 or $40 on your pocket, then call a few insurance companies and get a free quote, also find different financing(lower interest). If you like the STI go for it, it is a great car and it is toe to toe with the Evo no matter what people say.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I love both cars for different reasons I honestly I have had 2 evo's and would buy an Evo 9 in graphite gray if the payments were lower but the residual value of an Evo is horrible compared to the Sti for some reason and I dont understand why. I am going to be leasing since I buy cars so often and right now the Sti is a way better deal and I will be saving alot of money.

Are you really saving money by leasing the car? In terms of the car being a daily driver I would pick the sti, but the interior space is really small compared to the evo.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Correct, don't get me wrong, you have to balance your budget and also your taste, Do I like Ferrari Enzo? Yes, Can I afford it? No. This is not your case, I think you can afford either car(06 STI,05STI,06Evo9 ) but I heard you, you want to save money here and there.

If you are trying to squeze an extra $30 or $40 on your pocket, then call a few insurance companies and get a free quote, also find different financing(lower interest). If you like the STI go for it, it is a great car and it is toe to toe with the Evo no matter what people say.

I am saving more then 40 a month I have been dealing on both cars for the past month and have gotten below invoice on both.

Payment
Evo 450 a month 284 insurance
Sti 390 a month 229 insurance

I will save 115 a month and I have the best insurace company
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I am saving more then 40 a month I have been dealing on both cars for the past month and have gotten below invoice on both.

Payment

what kinda dealership you going too! 450 is insane.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

My first evo I paid 600 a month and the Rs was 500 but I lived with my parents at the time and had less bills.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Payment

Those monthly payments are insainly high, I know you are younger with maybe less credit history, but the payments still seem very high even if you plan to lease with little/no money down payment.

you should search for a really good interest rate and lease term to lower the payments. Just a thought...for the same amount of money in a lease I could lease a new bmw M6, now that doesn't make sense does it.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Nature has a curious way of thinning out the herd. Improves the gene pool or something.

There's also that thing about leading a horse to water and so on.

:-?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

I've driven both I would suggest the STi for a daily driver. I may be a bit bias though, being a Subaru owner and all. I'm looking in to both cars myself right now.