Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Selling the EVO VIII in preparation for the New GT-R!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wonder why people would ever pay cash for a car? You could make more money in a balanced fund, or a diversified equity fund than the interest rate. Heck if you had 70k in cash, you could easily have 30k over the course in 5 years in appreciation and dividends. Which means your "cash" makes you more cash and you actually only spend 35k on a GTR in a balloon payment at the end of 5 years if you so desired. We need to educate more individuals on the power of compound interest.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:38 PM

Please show me where you can get that kind of accrued interest in 5 years, thats near 50% return. I highly doubt it is possible. Unless you are factoring in the risk associated with the market, I can think of no steady investment fund that could allow for that much interest.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

the nissan looks pretty cool.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Crackerballer
Please show me where you can get that kind of accrued interest in 5 years, thats near 50% return. I highly doubt it is possible. Unless you are factoring in the risk associated with the market, I can think of no steady investment fund that could allow for that much interest.

Actually, if you invested 40k at a simple 10% rate for 5 years would give you 64,420.40.

Another way to think about it is lets say a mortgage rate is 6%, but over the life of a loan you're paying close to 50% of the original loan value in interest.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have a house yet?

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
I figure now is the time to bail out of my awesome EVO and pre-stage some money in the bank for my true dream car. I love the EVO and have trully enjoyed it and all of you on this forum. I was offered enough money that I couldn't refuse. Besides soon it won't be worth as much because of the new model release.

This doesn't mean that I am not going to be on this forum anymore. Also I trully think that the EVO is currently the best sports car in America. Nothing else can compare with it, a few bolt ons, some tuning and you can run with anything! It has been fun and I loved taking it to the 1/8th mile track and running better times that 2 Vipers (1 of which was an ACR) that were there that night. I ran an 8.0179@86.53 the slip is in the registry under my profile.

You guys keep pushing on and running at the tracks and making a name for this awesome platform. The only thing that I don't like about the EVO is that it is affiliated with Mitsubishi. I hate Mistubishi and there terrible service. We own their flagship and they treat us like crap. I wish that they could get their damn act together. They are so lucky to have the EVO in their line up.

You guys take care and have a Happy New Year. ...

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:10 PM

Where in the hell are you going to find a guaranteed 10% interest rate? A good interest rate on a CD right now is 4.5%
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

You are right, hell my back is giving out 5% cd's and in bonds you can get 6-7% easy as well.

Originally Posted by Google
I always wonder why people would ever pay cash for a car? You could make more money in a balanced fund, or a diversified equity fund than the interest rate. Heck if you had 70k in cash, you could easily have 30k over the course in 5 years in appreciation and dividends. Which means your "cash" makes you more cash and you actually only spend 35k on a GTR in a balloon payment at the end of 5 years if you so desired. We need to educate more individuals on the power of compound interest.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Many good equity mutual funds have offered 10% returns over 5 years or more. The best funds were hardly phased by the popping of the Internet bubble. Reinvesting cap gains and dividends means compound interest-- not simple. So 10% return per year over 5 years = 61%. That doesn't apply here since you would be dipping into principle to make car payments.

By the way, I was NOT referring to fixed income as a means to achieve 10%. Although several leveraged closed end funds do offer that currently. This is how the rich get richer. Once you amass enough money, just live off the appreciation or interest. How many of us here can honestly say they max out their 401ks?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crackerballer
Where in the hell are you going to find a guaranteed 10% interest rate? A good interest rate on a CD right now is 4.5%

Why would you invest in a CD unless you're 60 and afraid of losing all your money (i.e. very risk averse)? How about real estate paper, for one. THat's not even mentioning mutual funds. But you go on thinking CD's are the best return on money.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jan 1, 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
Do you have a house yet?

Yes, Paid-in-full...

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Many good equity mutual funds have offered 10% returns over 5 years or more. The best funds were hardly phased by the popping of the Internet bubble. Reinvesting cap gains and dividends means compound interest-- not simple. So 10% return per year over 5 years = 61%. That doesn't apply here since you would be dipping into principle to make car payments.

By the way, I was NOT referring to fixed income as a means to achieve 10%. Although several leveraged closed end funds do offer that currently. This is how the rich get richer. Once you amass enough money, just live off the appreciation or interest. How many of us here can honestly say they max out their 401ks?
Me! I pay 10% of my non-taxed income towards my retirement plan.

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Historically real estate has offered 5% returns over a long period of time-- compared to 15% for the best mutual or hedge funds still open to new investors. The real estate party is also over, due to much higher borrowing costs and the most obvious; too many amateurs in the field means a lot of people are going to get hurt. Yes I own for the record.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
Yes, Paid-in-full...

-Nate

Then be smart, take out an equity loan and purchase a rental property in an area that's about to appreciate. In 3-5 years, either sell or refinance the rental. THere is you money. And this is just one way to do it without selling the Evo. There are many others.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Why would you invest in a CD unless you're 60 and afraid of losing all your money (i.e. very risk averse)? How about real estate paper, for one. THat's not even mentioning mutual funds. But you go on thinking CD's are the best return on money.
Actually CDs are a very safe and reliable means of amassing money. My money for my GT-R fund will be sitting in a CD until I am ready for it. I will obviously have to be careful about the time that I decide to start and end it but that isn't too big of an issue for me.

BTW,

I have been very fortunate with the Real estate market as my house has doubled in value due to some hurricanes.

I just hope that it goes up a little bit more.

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Historically real estate has offered 5% returns over a long period of time-- compared to 15% for the best mutual or hedge funds still open to new investors. The real estate party is also over, due to much higher borrowing costs and the most obvious; too many amateurs in the field means a lot of people are going to get hurt. Yes I own for the record.
Umm, you know what real estate paper is, right? Become the bank. And if you're looking at real estate historically, you don't (I think) understand leverage or ROI.

There are too many amatuers, but that doesn't mean you can't make good money because there are a bunch of numbskulls running around. What do you mean much higher borrowing costs? Interest rates are still near record lows.

Quick Reply: Selling the EVO VIII in preparation for the New GT-R!!