Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Selling the EVO VIII in preparation for the New GT-R!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atlvalet
Then be smart, take out an equity loan and purchase a rental property in an area that's about to appreciate. In 3-5 years, either sell or refinance the rental. THere is you money. And this is just one way to do it without selling the Evo. There are many others.
That is a great idea! However, I am in the military and will be transfering in 18 months. I have no idea where I am moving to at this point. Most likely it will be back overseas to Japan. If that is the case I would feel better cashing out and investing my money else where. I don't trust renters and don't want to deal with an agent. It just doesn't appeal to me.

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
Actually CDs are a very safe and reliable means of amassing money. My money for my GT-R fund will be sitting in a CD until I am ready for it. I will obviously have to be careful about the time that I decide to start and end it but that isn't too big of an issue for me.

Safe and reliable, yes. The best ROI, certainly no.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
That is a great idea! However, I am in the military and will be transfering in 18 months. I have no idea where I am moving to at this point. Most likely it will be back overseas to Japan. If that is the case I would feel better cashing out and investing my money else where. I don't trust renters and don't want to deal with an agent. It just doesn't appeal to me.

-Nate

Honestly, if you sell your home and move overseas you should look into real estate paper with a good payment history. Your money is secured by real property and 10 to 15% rates are not unheard of.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Safe and reliable, yes. The best ROI, certainly no.
Agree and Agree...

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, San Antonio and Cedar Rapids are good places to look for rentals. You're lucky I don't charge for advice.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:39 PM

I understand, You are talking to someone who is 20 with a CD, Small Business Mutal Fund, Roth IRA, and Beacon score over 800. I know about investing, and I understand that to make money you have to take risk, but its not as simple as pick the plan and invest. If it were many more people would do it.

Problem is amounting the first 70k, I understand what you are saying about dipping into it to make car payments. Most people's jobs and financial strains force them to finance, and that's the only way they could get these cars.

Yea CD's are probably the safest way to amass money, get some sort of middle path interest rate and be able to add to it monthly. I now realize Google you were talking about investments that in hind-site realized something like a 10% gain per year.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, if you sell your home and move overseas you should look into real estate paper with a good payment history. Your money is secured by real property and 10 to 15% rates are not unheard of.
Hurricanes are the reason that I want out of the market when I leave. We were hit very badly by IVAN. My house was built in 2004 so it made it through without too many issues (because of the new strict codes that were in place). But if something like Katrina were to hit this area it would all be gone. Then I would be fighting the insurance company while also fighting the war on terrorism. It just would be too much extra to think about in the end. My proffession leaves little time while stationed overseas.

I can tell that you definately know what you are talking about so be sure to get rich and share the word.

-Nate
Old Jan 1, 2006, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crackerballer
I understand, You are talking to someone who is 20 with a CD, Small Business Mutal Fund, Roth IRA, and Beacon score over 800. I know about investing, and I understand that to make money you have to take risk, but its not as simple as pick the plan and invest. If it were many more people would do it.
If real estate were "easy" more people would be doing it. Like anything, education hedges against risk. Teach yourself the ins and outs of real estate investing, and you'll have a leg up on everyone else. A lot of these "investors" are like the people who were giving out stock advice before the dow went south. If you know the factors and the local market, you'll be fine.

Any monkey can pick stocks. Heck, passive funds have done better than many "active" high-paid fund managers.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

I understand finance to a very high level-- CFA, FRM, corporate finance major. However, what good is the leverage if your properties begin to experience a slight decline in value. Read about Long Term Capital management to see the effects of leverage first hand, by arguably the most intelligent team of finance wizards ever assembled. It amplifies your return, but increases exponentially your risk.

Stop listening to Carlton Sheets or the spam that fills your inbox everyday. Interest rates are much higher today than they were 18 months ago. The Federal Reserve has raised the fed funds rates thirteen times since June 2003. Long term rates have not moved much, hence the "conundrum" so often referred to. But if you are a builder, your costs from borrowing at the bank are much much higher. Car loans, credit card rates and traditional thrift loans are all at a much higher rate.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

I know of many funds that beat indices by 10% annually over the trailing seven year period. How are you educated above and beyond?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Nate did you sell it to someone local?
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Google
However, what good is the leverage if your properties begin to experience a slight decline in value.

Stop listening to Carlton Sheets or the spam that fills your inbox everyday. Interest rates are much higher today than they were 18 months ago. The Federal Reserve has raised the fed funds rates thirteen times since June 2003. Long term rates have not moved much, hence the "conundrum" so often referred to. But if you are a builder, your costs from borrowing at the bank are much much higher. Car loans, credit card rates and traditional thrift loans are all at a much higher rate.

Well, as a general rule, you NEVER buy investment property for short term appreciation. EVER. Secondly, commercial residential property (5 units+) value is determined by rents (cap rate, etc.). As long as you're in an area where job growth is good, your rental properties should appreciate. However, even if the market gets soft, smart investors always purchase properties with good cash flow from the get-go so even down markets aren't a problem.

And why would you assume I listen to Carlton Sheets? I feel insulted, slightly

Unlike the stock market, your money is always secured by real property. It's not like leverage in the stock market.

There are also plenty of places to get money from than banks. Not to mention assumable loans, but I digress. Tell you what. You stick with the stock market and I'll stick with real estate.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of institutions, traditional bank/thrift or otherwise, have not seen an increase in loan rates? That is the million dollar question.

http://www.hsh.com/1ytvsliborgraph.html
Old Jan 1, 2006, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Private banks who own their own money and don't borrow from the Fed, but that is besides the point.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

True, but why in the hell would they want to charge a lower interest rate than other institutions? The laws of arbitrage would quickly close any disparity. Unless of course that the money is being laundered or perhaps originates from a ponzi scheme.

Riddle me this, I am a private bank that wants to lend real estate speculators money at 3% a year, when top tier banks can charge 7 or 8%? Like everyone else private banks are in this to "make money".

Quick Reply: Selling the EVO VIII in preparation for the New GT-R!!