Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

99 Eclipse Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Eclipse Engine Swap

I own a 99 Eclipse GS manual. I'm just uncovering the top of the import tune scene via under the hood. I notice there are plenty of engine swaps for hondas and acuras--but are there any for Mitsubishi, in specific, a 99 Eclipse GS? I'm aware of the cyclone engine w/ 220 hp from japan-but rumor has it it wouldn't fit in my car. I've been reading about on vairous other forums of how people want to put an EVO 8 engine into an eclipse bay.My GS is equipped with a 2.0 4A20. My questions are-what is the EVO engine number-will it fit into my engine bay-and if so, can that turbo be upgraded? IF not, what other possibilites are there aside a full turbo kit for the under matinace of my DSM?
Old Apr 5, 2003, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

i believe you do own the evo 8's motor, the 4g63... someone correct me if im wrong
Old Apr 5, 2003, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

thats the GSX
Old Apr 5, 2003, 04:40 PM

The EVO engine will not fit in your car because the drivetrain is on the wrong side (among many other challenges). Any DSMer will tell you it's not worth the time, effort or money to convert a non-turbo car to turbo... it's better to buy a turbocharged car outright. :P

All is not lost though, check out www.2gnt.com for some ideas, or even www.hahnracecraft.com if you still want to try turbo'ing the engine you have.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 05:12 PM

an evo 8 engine won't fit, but the older cyclone engine that you speak of can fit inside with the proper work. If you find the right performance shop they can fit a cyclone engine in your eclipse, which is a much better engine than the slow gs engine, and still better than the 95 and up gs-r engines
Old Apr 5, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

the engine in your car is a 420A. there are eclipses out there running high 12-14 second 1320's. the 4g63 in the eclipse gs-t/gsx and the evo aren't exactly the same. the internals, compression ratios, and bottom ends are not exactly the same. you can turbo the 420a to do about as well as a gs-t .
Old Apr 10, 2003, 08:29 PM

hey psykob,

no need for an engine swap. it really depends on what route you want to go. you want to stay normally aspirated (na), or do you want forced induction? there are tons of things you can do to your 2nd generation non-turbo dsm.

first, go to www.2gnt.com and browse the boards there. that might be a more appropriate venue for your advice seeking. check the "things we've seen before" forum, because you'll find tons of things there.

as far as staying na: there are tons of things. you can do the big three - cai (recommend aem), header (hotshot), and exhaust. you may also try to get an underdrive pulley. many ppl use the unorthodox pullies, but they're only a 20% reduction, whereas the afx (sold by howellautomotive.com) is 30%. some of the other board members have also swapped out the 60mm jeep throttle bodies (vs our regular 50mm).

if you want forced induction, you can buy one of two kits. star (sold through buschur, nopi, and a few other places) uses a garret t3/4 hybrid and has a lot of high hp potential. on average, it's about 2k for a stage 1, and 3k for a stage 2 (with fmic). the only problem is that it has more lag than the next kit. the instructions are also HORRIBLE!!!

hahn racecraft (www.turbosystem.com) is a more tried/true kit. they use a mitsu super16g (generally the first upgrade many turbo dsm's get). prices are about the same as the star kit, although the directions are a helluva lot easier!

stage 1 gets you 200-225hp, and stage 2 gets you 250-275hp at the fly (1/4 in about 14.5 or 13.7 respectively). can you say near evo times? on stock internals to boot!

if you want to get wild, you can upgrade the internals (rods, pistons, rings, etc) and go up to stage 6 with hrc. some of the guys on 2gnt are wild and actually have that, although most are hrc2's. some of the stage 3-4 guys are pushing about 400 hp.

traction is a ***** though - hrc2's kit will have you smoking the tires through 3rd gear, so you have to get used to it.

len ayala drives a neon (one of hrc's testbeds) and is putting down about 600whp. they're using custom driveshafts, and keep snapping them! i have a video on my computer of his daily driver neon smoking a cobra down the 1/4 in about 11 secs. len's neon is currently at 10.55@139mph. hrc's eclipse rs (can we say ultra base with no power windows?) does the 1/4 in 11.53 @ 123.

so, in short - no need for a swap. get an hrc2 (hence my screenname hrc24me. ) leave the gs sticker on the rear of your car and you'll have a bonafide sleeper. i also suggest upgrading your suspension/brakes if you go the forced induction route. that's a no-brainer.

i'm also 97ESi on 2gnt. let 'em know i sent ya!

Last edited by 97ESi; Apr 10, 2003 at 09:05 PM.