Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo VS. NEW BMW 3 series coupe..xi + AWD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VS. NEW BMW 3 series coupe..twin Turbo + AWD

EVO vs. New BMW Coupe xi twin turbo

i think the evo has a new competitor... tell me what u guys/gals think

Last edited by FartMuffler; Apr 30, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that new bimmer is sweet but im still sure that a stock iv would walk all over it, not to mention considerablly less in price.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dave9172
yeah that new bimmer is sweet but im still sure that a stock iv would walk all over it, not to mention considerablly less in price.

i dont know... twin turbo...plus all 4 wheels moving... AND german cars are known to under advertise there real HP... so they says its 300 hp but i can realistically be 320 or 330 hp's
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Having nothing to do with performance vs EVO and all of that bullsh_t which is honestly totally irrelavent.......That car is simply beautiful.

There is really no reason to compare that car to an evo cause in all honesty, there is no comparison.....The BMW is in a totally different class........
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Performance will be more in line with something like the g35 coupe rather than the evo. It may have more horsepower, but i guarantee it will be heavier and lack the evos "edge". Its honestly pointless comparing these two cars because designed for two different purposes, and two very different types of buyers.

As far as looks.....side profile is gorgeous, but the front and back end are blahhhhhh. The tailights are just too big, and the front end ust doesnt seem to flow.

Last edited by nick735; Apr 30, 2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice. Its probably competing more with the G35, IS350 and Audi A4. I would definately drive one of those. Whats the price though??? $40-50,000???
Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

the new M3 may be something the evo has to watch out for, doubt the 3 series will be anything special performance wise
Old May 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

I think the new turbo bmw is going to be just as fast as the e46 m3.

Now they are having awd...... could be a very very nice replacement for evo owners looking to upgrade!!!

Plus the 50,000 mile free service.

*** Did they say for SURE the twin turbo coupe is going to have awd? Sounds like they are just talking about the new 3 series?????
Old May 1, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

This is all I found.....

BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel-drive system will be available as an alternative to rear-wheel drive for those who need an extra measure of traction with BMW responsiveness. Acknowledged as the most sophisticated and responsive of all-wheel drive systems, BMW xDrive allows the new 3 Series Coupe driver to enjoy the ultimate driving experience in all types of weather and driving. xDrive not only distributes power to each of the four wheels as road conditions require, it partners with DSC to play an active role in helping to stabilize the vehicle at the onset of oversteer or understeer. It will be available this fall in the 328xi Coupe.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

It's going to have inline turbo's one quick spool small one & then the bigger one. This will give the car no turbo lag, and make it spool up really fast. It's supose to feel just like a regualr BMW I-6 engine, just with a lot more power.

Yes, it will weigh more then the EVO & yes it will be in the $45k range.

Will a stock EVO beat it? Maybe on the 1/4mi, but who knows on the track.

I am a BMW guy and really love the car in general. It's really hard to compare it to the EVO, there just so differant. The EVO is loud, rides on the hard side, very non-linerar power curve, just in general has a very raw feeling. BMW stopped doing that in the 80's with the first M3. Now BMW's are just expensive lux cars that happen to handel well & go fast.

I love my EVO, but would rather be in the BMW on long trips.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nick735
Performance will be more in line with something like the g35 coupe rather than the evo. It may have more horsepower, but i guarantee it will be heavier and lack the evos "edge". Its honestly pointless comparing these two cars because designed for two different purposes, and two very different types of buyers.

As far as looks.....side profile is gorgeous, but the front and back end are blahhhhhh. The tailights are just too big, and the front end ust doesnt seem to flow.
The G35 Coupe is a slug. I would hope this thing can do better than that for the money.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIIIM3
Will a stock EVO beat it? Maybe on the 1/4mi, but who knows on the track.
That is the most a$$ backwards thing i have ever heard. If anything it will threaten the 1/4 mile, an Evo will leave it so fast at the track.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard from a reputable source that the 335 will put down 380hp/ 400tq with just engine mgmt. Seems pretty high too me..., but it does have 50% more displacement than the evo does. hmmmm ......3 liter..... sequential turbo.....sounds similar to a certain jdm hp legend.

Dont kill the messenger!
Old May 1, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

So is that pile going to come in 5/6spd or not?
Old May 1, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1NastyEvo
So is that pile going to come in 5/6spd or not?
dude...we drive Mitsubishi's. yes we drive their flagship, but a BMW is a frickin BMW no matter what JD power and others say. a economy sedan based super saloon (ie the Evo)...is still a Mitsubishi. Some people that buy Evo's may look into this, since it may have 80% of the hussle with all the luxury stuff we don't get with pricing around the low-mid 40's.

It will have a six speed though to anwser your original question

Quick Reply: Evo VS. NEW BMW 3 series coupe..xi + AWD