Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ford Shelby GT500- now with 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanmud
I think it will have an independent rear suspension
The model at the car show had a solid rear axle. I've also heard from other forums it's back to a solid rear.

I heard that the "thing to doif you can afford it" is to get a cobra s/c motor, pull the s/c and run a custom large turbo setup. The forged bottom end and strength of the block can handle stupid horsepower levels. (800+)
Old May 5, 2006, 09:57 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nixx
The supercharged 5.4L V8 uses a roots-type supercharger providing a not insignificant (for OEM) 9 lbs./square inch of boost. Many of the engines components were also borrowed from Ford’s supercar, the GT.
Interesting. As of 3 months ago Ford was saying it'd have a centrifugal blower on it to save money.

For those of you who are in the 'put a smaller pulley on it' camp, 9 PSI might be towards the upper end of the efficiency range for the blower they use. Though I won't argue 600 HP (roughly 500 WHP) will be doable with only a few changes to the factory system.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:01 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by theJacko5
yes, it is a pig....

in a straight line that thing will be a monster, especially after upping that modest boostage...

but lets not forget about the whole turning problems that 'stangs tend to have.

put that sucker on the track and it could be a whole other story.

Just like the Corvette can't handle...
Old May 5, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Just like the Corvette can't handle...
Yes - GM stepped it up with the Z06's; however, I would not expect this GT500 to handle close to them - this would be the shock of the year
Old May 5, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Interesting. As of 3 months ago Ford was saying it'd have a centrifugal blower on it to save money.

For those of you who are in the 'put a smaller pulley on it' camp, 9 PSI might be towards the upper end of the efficiency range for the blower they use. Though I won't argue 600 HP (roughly 500 WHP) will be doable with only a few changes to the factory system.
If it were on the previous M112 Eaton I would agree, but they've upped it to the M122 so it should be possible.

I'd like the new Cobra/Shelby if the damned thing didn't weigh nearly 4000lbs. Sorry, that's acceptable for the Lightning, not for a muscle car. On the previous gen. Cobras, they may have weighed a bit much, but that was largely due to the IRS. This thing is a solid-axle and it's still as fat as a pig.

Good marketing move by Ford - old farts are going to eat this thing up to relive their youth. But the notion that this will be a serious competitor in the high-performance world is a joke.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Ha, i just read this guys comment and found it somewhat interesting:

"Oh wow, 500HP out of a 5.4L engine? That's pathetic--no wonder the rest of the world still makes fun of our cars. BMW's M5 engine produces 500HP out of a 5.0L engine without forced induction.

Why is it that American cars always produce such little power with huge engines?"
Old May 5, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

^^Enormous amounts of torque, which you'll need to get that boat of a car moving.
Old May 5, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

wow, good numbers though
Old May 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Handmemyarms
Ha, i just read this guys comment and found it somewhat interesting:

"Oh wow, 500HP out of a 5.4L engine? That's pathetic--no wonder the rest of the world still makes fun of our cars. BMW's M5 engine produces 500HP out of a 5.0L engine without forced induction.

Why is it that American cars always produce such little power with huge engines?"
thus the price difference btwn the e60 m5 and the shelby.

plus the m cars' engine are almost maxed out from the factory, and only responds to FI. the shelby's engine is going to take mods like crazy (yes it is already supercharged from the factory, but look at other n/a big displacement american engines, e.g. LSx series).

and did i mention the price difference?

american cars get the job done with bigger displacements, and IMO there is nothing wrong with that. the HP/Liter thing is cool, but at the end of the day, if the other (less technologically advanced method if u will) gets the same job done for less price and more modifiability in the future, why not?

imho.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but the beast of a mustang weighs over 4000 lbs.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superscout03
yeah but the beast of a mustang weighs over 4000 lbs.
you sure aboot that man? i think a mustang gt weighs like 3400lbs. where is that extra 600 lbs coming from???
Old May 5, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

No, it won't way 4000lbs+ it will way 3800lb range full loaded....but still to heavy and not my cup of tea. That doesn't mean they won't be bad cars in the drag dept. you will see 550+rwhp bolt on Shelby's and 700+rwhp ones with sauce. The downfall of this motor will be the rods and how much they can handle.

The will still be fast trapping 117mph+ stock!
Old May 5, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

WoW, so much misinformation. Lost souls. I thought SRT4 cats were lost.
Old May 5, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

God!!!!

So many people here are so quick to talk crap about a wonderful car
Old May 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

^^Not really. I started a thread on this car a long time ago and I was pretty excited. Was. It comes with 285 width tires, the best that can be fit under there sounds like 295s unless you want massive offset. It has horrible weight distribution thanks to an iron V8 up front. Not to mention that it wil weigh in the neighborhood of 3900lbs. The T-56 that Ford uses is, for some weird reason, notchy as hell (not the case in the Viper or Corvette). That thing will end up running the same times as the previous gen. Cobra but it'll cost a good $5000-6000 more. w00t. Hop onto SVTPerformance and see how many people are keeping their 03/04 Cobras.