Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ford Shelby GT500- now with 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hop on here and see how much speculation there is on the EVO X. Its internet trash talk man. I guess everything you read online is true. You have the same kind of **** on here with people talkin bout They would rather keep thier VIII or IX but wait and see when the X comes out.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Hop on here and see how much speculation there is on the EVO X. Its internet trash talk man. I guess everything you read online is true. You have the same kind of **** on here with people talkin bout They would rather keep thier VIII or IX but wait and see when the X comes out.
You're right, so let's differentiate between rumours and facts.

Facts: This car will weigh more than 3600 lbs.

Likely fact: This car has a solid rear axle.

Fact: this car will be a drag monster, just like the Z06, WS6, Old cobra's, Supra's, 300zx's, Chevelle, Challenger, Camaro, Firebird, Camaro. See, it makes perfect sense to pay 50k for that kind of performance.

Fact: With a solid rear axle this thing will be able to swing the back out. Yay.

Fact: This thing will not handle lose to a z06 or vette.

Fact: If I wanted a fast drag car, there's already quite a few options out there and nothing that justifies this car as being it. I'd rather turbo a Mustang GT with forged internals for half the price and twice the power.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:06 PM

I have a 2003 SVT Cobra with upgraded intake, supercharger pulley, exhaust and computer re-flash. It is a blast - and it is fast. FORD will not disappoint with this car I assure you. The new mustang has an all new chassis that handles very well, live axle in the rear (for the drag racers) with revised mouting and pivot points (for road racing/handling) and did anyone see the new Mustang GT that was racing on the circuits against the new BMW's and Corvette's? It won. Granted these were all modified road race cars with teams with big budgets but still - it won. The new chassis makes the new Mustang a serious contender. Ford will rate this car at 500 hp and it will be worth it. The only thing that sucks is that you will probably NOT be able to purchase one for sticker or even close. That will keep me from buying one. But they will be great performers and HIGHLY collectable machines that will not lose value. I suspect from the moment these cars are sold their value will only increase. I don't believe they are making that many of them. I can't wait to see them at the track. I love my EVO IX MR and it's fast with all the Buschur Racing parts and re-flash and I would not trade it for the GT500 (i don't believe) but I will come out and say without fear that this car will be awesome. I just wish Mitsu would bring the FQ400 package over here and Subaru would bring the S204 over as well. It sucks not getting the "specialty" cars.
Old May 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1te
Fact: this car will be a drag monster, just like the Z06, WS6, Old cobra's, Supra's, 300zx's, Chevelle, Challenger, Camaro, Firebird, Camaro. See, it makes perfect sense to pay 50k for that kind of performance.

Fact: With a solid rear axle this thing will be able to swing the back out. Yay.

Fact: This thing will not handle lose to a z06 or vette.

Fact: If I wanted a fast drag car, there's already quite a few options out there and nothing that justifies this car as being it. I'd rather turbo a Mustang GT with forged internals for half the price and twice the power.

Um , yeah the Z06 pulls a .99 on the skid pad and you call this a drag monster? Are you serious or just really misled?

Nothing justifies a car that can run with a Z06 in a drag race for 25K less... hmm. Ok I'll let you do all my accounting for me too. .....NOT

I'd rather upgrade my EVO with a full AMS setup, but who gives a damn, your talking apples and oranges bro.
Old May 7, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Um , yeah the Z06 pulls a .99 on the skid pad and you call this a drag monster? Are you serious or just really misled?

Nothing justifies a car that can run with a Z06 in a drag race for 25K less... hmm. Ok I'll let you do all my accounting for me too. .....NOT

I'd rather upgrade my EVO with a full AMS setup, but who gives a damn, your talking apples and oranges bro.
actually, even the c5-z06 has registered a .98-1.02, and the new c6-z06 has been measured at 1.03....but anyway, carry on
Old May 7, 2006, 09:40 PM

I'm an Evo owner (for 53,000 miles) because I love raw edgy cars and live for corners and winding roads. I did the built V-8 thing 25 years ago...Mustangs, Firebirds, AMXs...and I'm over it. Yes...the Stang will be an incredible beast on the strip or freeway roll-on race...but so what. I don't care about either of those things. I don't see the Stang dominating in autocross, amateur road-racing, or impromptu canyon/mountain runs. All that horse power and weight will be difficult for the average owner to put to use on the roads with curves that are not connected by loooooong straightaways. In my experience, most high powered V-8 owners are only comfortable going fast in a straight line. There are 600 hp AMG Mercedes with automatic trannies that can pull low twelves with anyone (with the $$$) that cares to mash the gas. To each his own. For me...no curves = no fun. My first car way back in 1980 was a 67 Mustang.
Old May 7, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

to hell with the mustang,i,m waiting for the challenger to be made. i,m already saving to buy one. still gonna keep my BR350 though
Old May 9, 2006, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

OK, Just got in from the Cannon Ball One Lap here in Louisiana. Ford brought a Shelby GT500 (2007 model). In full street trim as it will roll off the production line. I can say it is nice. 3 out of 4 stars. The rear brake calipers look week, factory brand. The fronts were brembos, just like the evos. The motor is STRONG! It was chasing down the vipers and the new Z06's just fine. Yes it is a big car and heavy. But it put the power down nice. I just think that the price is going to kill them.
Old May 10, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Some more info on the car at the following site...http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...hp?showforum=7

Entire first year run is already presold before even the first car hits dealer's lots. Some sharks are even getting MSRP + 20k....
Old May 10, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

the shelby will have a solid axle but its heavy. strip the ***** out and you'll have some fun
Old May 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

wow that car look impressive