Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Miata gets more grunt....

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miata gets more grunt....

Well, my old beater got a bit more power over the weekend ... The bad news is that I think the clutch is toast .... I cannot launch or accelerate fast without severe clutch slippage.... I guess it's time to open the wallet again...

Old May 8, 2006, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Is that a Flyin Miata 'Uber'charger? Nice! You're going to surprise quite a few automobiles with that under your hood!
Old May 8, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

What is the advertised hp gain with that supercharger?
Old May 8, 2006, 05:35 PM

You can get well over 200 whp with those superchargers. That might not sound like alot, but Miatas weigh about 1,000 lbs less than an Evo, clocking in about 2,200 lbs depending on year and trim level.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grav
Sweet! Is that a Flyin Miata 'Uber'charger? Nice! You're going to surprise quite a few automobiles with that under your hood!
No, I wish it was an Uber charger... It's a JRSC, but it's a trick blower that Downing had laying around when they were prototyping blowers for the Neon.. It has more turns per inch so the pitch it different. It comes on more like a turbo...

Originally Posted by Grav
You can get well over 200 whp with those superchargers. That might not sound like alot, but Miatas weigh about 1,000 lbs less than an Evo, clocking in about 2,200 lbs depending on year and trim level.
I'm hoping I get 170 whp (Dynojet). it does pull like a train!

Last edited by silverEVO8; May 8, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a true history:

I owned a 92 Mazda Miata last summer , the car was red and inmaculate condition, it had the 1.6 liters and it was fun to drive but very very slow. I had it for just over 4 months.

I got mentally traumatized by the fact that about 50% of the races I lost to absolutely trashy cars, sometimes even fat ladies in minivans.

Specifically speaking I got beat up really bad by a old , nasty, muddy(full of mud) mid 80's Ford Bronco from a mexican dude that kicked my a s s really bad in a traffic light.
I was behind him and he launched and big chunks of soil and mud were falling of his car and hitting my car with the top down. It was like when you walk behind someone when they are farting, not only he was beating me but also trashing my car.. I hate that car since that day!

I swear up and down I never being so embarress in a car, my car was top down, spotless red"sport convertible"looks and some nasty old and ugly car beat me.

I sold the car within days. I am not trying to be funny, I am just telling you how bad I felt.

By the way and back to the subject, before I got beat down I was looking at buying the Greddy TD0415C turbokit that they have for the Miata, it is cheap as hell, I found them new for $1150 without intercooler. I also look at Jackson racing superchargers with intercooler but they were very pricy well over $2500.

I love the MIATAS, it is the best gas mileage car I ever had and I know someone that has the original engine with 260000 miles(1990 model) and it does not smoke but that car need some major *****.

Ok, I am done, that was my story

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 8, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old May 8, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
This is a true history:

I owned a 92 Mazda Miata last summer , the car was red and inmaculate condition, it had the 1.6 liters and it was fun to drive but very very slow. I had it for just over 4 months.

I got mentally traumatized by the fact that about 50% of the races I lost to absolutely trashy cars, sometimes even fat ladies in minivans.

Carlos
Hey Carlos, your story is so true ... Take it from a guy who's owned 3 Miatas by now. The trick is to use the Miata for it's intended purpose. These cars are ultimate driving machines. You cannot beat them for overall tossability and they can carve corners like no other car (well, maybe not a well as the Elise)..
Anyway, another thing is that you gotta stay between 4K and 6K rpm.. That's where the powerband (such as it is) resides.

The truth is that my '95 R even with the superchager was pretty slow. I could barely beat the time of my stock '96 Integra GSR with header, catback and intake. I think this one might be a little better than that because I'm running probably 9 psi... Still, if you want a red light racer or a drag strip king, the Miata ain't it.... This silver '92 has 145K miles on it and I dynoed 103 whp on a dynojet before the supercharger was installed. I happen to be good friends with guys who own the local Miata/Mini shop so I got a fantastic deal in this supercharger. Still, I've probably spent around $4K in mods on this car.... I will tell you one thing, it's a very fun car to drive. Believe it or not, the EVO has sat in the parking space for a lot of the past several months..

Last edited by silverEVO8; May 11, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
What is the advertised hp gain with that supercharger?
They used to advertise 145 HP with the original JRSC... Those early blowers were pretty much as they are now. The difference is that they made about 5 p.s.i. OTOH, mine is supposed to make 9 p.s.i. which would make it a bit more powerful.. I'll find out more after the clutch is replaced and I can take it to the dyno. I had base readings with the Dynodynamics dyno as well as with the Dynojet. You can see the charts before the JRSC in this website: Miata page
Old May 10, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

What exhaust do you have on your vehicle currently? I know a little bit about Miatas because, well I work for Mazda.
Old May 11, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution Racer
What exhaust do you have on your vehicle currently? I know a little bit about Miatas because, well I work for Mazda.
Right now I have a Jackson Racing header, test pipe and Bosal (Brospeed) cat back. I think it sounds a little too loud inside the car plus I don't like the sound of the exhaust at all. It's not like the fart can, ricey sound. It's deeper but just boomy and indistinct. I would like to get a sound more like the sound in the Magnaflow website where you can hear the Miata and the Mini exhausts.. Those sound pretty nice...
Old May 11, 2006, 07:03 AM

I had the br performance mp 62 supercharger on my 01' miata,it was quick.

I now have a 92' miata being turned into a track toy.

Miata's are slow until you have a 115hp spec miata blow by you at the track.
Old May 11, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackflag
I had the br performance mp 62 supercharger on my 01' miata,it was quick.

I now have a 92' miata being turned into a track toy.

Miata's are slow until you have a 115hp spec miata blow by you at the track.
Well, they are extremely well balanced cars... Also, those Miata hot shoes tend to be pretty good and keeping their speed through the turns ... Too often guys think that they are going to own everything in the track because they have a high powered, high performance car such as the EVO or STi, etc. There is a lot more to fast driving than HP and trick suspensions... Of course, please bear in mind that I'm not claiming to be a very fast driver either in my Miata or my EVO MR . I just enjoy driving them and messing with them.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

I got so much respect for Miatas but I could never drive one

Nice Miata
Old May 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
I got so much respect for Miatas but I could never drive one

Nice Miata
Thank you , but I wonder why you could not drive a Miata? I know that they are pretty small and if you are over 5'-10 or a bit large, the cars are just too small. Was that the problem you encountered with the Miata's?
Old May 11, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Thank you , but I wonder why you could not drive a Miata? I know that they are pretty small and if you are over 5'-10 or a bit large, the cars are just too small. Was that the problem you encountered with the Miata's?
I just cant get into a 2 seater. I like to keep my gym bag and loads of other crap in my car. Miatas just dont have the room. Plus I cant put my son in it
But there still hot no doubt

Quick Reply: Miata gets more grunt....