Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Would you buy one?
Yes, I would love to drive one of these.
30.30%
I might consider it.
40.91%
Not a chance.
28.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

SMART car in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, more votes...
Old Jun 2, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well I voted not a chance but if they brought the roadster version I could see myself driving it.

http://www.smart.com/-snm-0155109868...hlights%2epage
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:25 PM

I saw plenty of these when I was in Europe, and have no interest in them.. I wouldn't feel safe on the interstate with one of these cars.

--
Brian
Old Jun 6, 2006, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

I saw that video of a smart car smashing into that cement wall before. That was pretty impressive. I'd love to see how it would do against a Ford Excursion Here's another video of an off center head on crash.

Smart vs Smart

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for some more votes. I personally hope they do bring this car to the States...
Old Jun 14, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

It's actually better than many cars in crashes. The whole thing is basically like a ball that surrounds you in roll cage.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

It is official, the SMART cars will be here next year:

According to our sources it’s now official and the waiting is over.

As we have been saying; Daimler will be selling its Smart ForTwo car in the United States in 2007.

The successor to the Smart Fortwo will be on sale in Europe in less than 6 months and DaimlerChrysler will be selling the Smart car in the United States!

The new 2007 Fortwo will be extended by 7 inches and weight will increase slightly. We're told this was done for U.S. requirements and compliance reasons.

The new Smart will be embracing the Brabus appearance.

The Smart's headlights will be larger and more aerodynamic, tail lights will be restructured, improved horse power, enhanced gas mileage, superior safety features, additional color alternatives and added standard and optional equipment will be available.

The Smarts windshield angle will be modified for new protection of pedestrian’s standards.

The Mercedes Smart ForTwo celebrates its 8th anniversary this year. The car has proven to be more than a fad. It now has a cult following.

The pint-sized car looks every bit as avant-garde and distinctive as it did back in 199 when we drove one of the first ever imported into America.

The Smart is unique, and for the many people who have driven it, the Smart Car has proved utterly irresistible.

Since Mercedes Benz launched the Smart, this little car has been changing the public's attitude about a petite and practical motor vehicle, regarding automotive safety, function, and efficiency.

Smart has now been fully integrated into the DaimlerChrysler network.

The Smart division has yet to turn a profit. However, it recently reorganized the entire sector and many new plans have been implemented.

Smart ForTwo is one of the most fuel-efficient, gas-powered cars on the planet.

The Smart Car is one of the most appealing vehicles on the road; you can park where other cars can't squeeze in, and it is economical, both at the pump and to drive.

Every ingredient of the car is unmistakably “intelligent.”

As always, Smart Car of America has stayed true to its quest, researching and finding up-to-the minute material on alternative transportation for our readers.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

If they price it right, I predict they will sell many thousands of them (around $12,000 for the fully loaded model). I will definately buy one, but still keep my EVO of course. I think this will be a great car just for traveling to work, school, etc. I wish they would get here already. I am getting really tired of paying over $3 for a gallon of gas. The idea of 60MPG really sounds nice to me...
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:23 AM
jz

I saw a convertible Smart ForTwo on the street across from the Whole Foods
headquarters (Austin, TX) a few days ago. The gas version is so ridiculously
slow. Maybe the electric one will have a little more pep.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

why the hell does everyone think the bar for safety in a vehicle is the 18-wheeler crush test?

*NEWSFLASH*

if you get hit by an 18-wheeler the odds are, no matter what you're driving, you're dead.

that said, i think it's a great second car for driving in city conditions. think commuting. you're usually just sitting in traffic anyway, and then you have to find some parking spot but only the tiniest ones are left - well here you go.

and doesn't mitsubishi make a little car like this that actually looks a lot better? is it the colt?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

i just checked. it's the colt - http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/col...sp?strCar1=GD5

check out those mpg numbers!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

They say that the smart is actually safer then most cars because of its hard steel core. It is designed to protect only the passengers in such a way similar to how formula car have a capsule around the driver.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen a few around my city. How is this possible?

Last edited by Evo VIII; Jul 20, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo VIII
I've seen a few around my city. How is this possible?
zap has been converting them and selling them for a while now. although DC royally screwed them out of a BILLION dollar deal a while back. and when i say screwed it basically went like this.

zap for months: we have a billion dollar deal with DC to import smart cars! yay! (stock skyrockets)
day of the deal, DC: we've never heard of you, and even if we did we'd never sell you the cars. go eff yourself! (zap stock is worth slightly less than toilet paper)
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

And ZAP was really screwing its customers who bought SMART cars here in The States. They were actually charging over $27,000 for some of them! In fact, you can find them on E-Bay all the time for around that price. Some people just have no money sence at all.
I also think that this car much safer than it first appears. The uni-body is shaped kinda like an egg and is inherently strong...

Quick Reply: SMART car in the US?