Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2001 Audi TT Quattro

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Audi TT Quattro

What do you guys know about these cars? I did a search and didn't come up with very much. I'm looking at a 2001 with 70,000 miles in it. I know they aren't the fastest cars, I believe they run a 14.8 stock at 225 hp. I can't afford and evo right now and I found a really good deal on a TT. How do they respond to mods? I probably wouldn't be doing much more than an exhaust. My brother has a VW and I hate working on that thing, damn european cars. I am willing to look past the fact it's european and I'm just looking for some general information. I'm also looking for a good forum to start researching, one that is comparable to evoM, I did a search on google but there is so much crap out there I couldn't find a decent forum. Thanks for any help guys.

Oh by the way my DSM just got rear-ended, unfortunately I was pending a sale on it and now I have to wait and see how everything works out with the insurance company.
Old May 31, 2006, 09:52 PM

The main thing is to make sure the owner changed the timing belt at 60,000 miles... A good forum to check out is audiworld.com
Old May 31, 2006, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is a good looking car in my opinion. The 225hp you can tell the difference by the twin exhaust in the back.

At least you are being honest bro, you can't afford a Evo at this point but the Audi is a heck of a car plus HPA makes some neck breaking turbokits for that car.

Good luck on that car, I hope you get it.

Carlos
Old May 31, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

i had a 2000 180 coupe and a 2001 225 vert. they were both fun cars. i miss them for regular running around town and highway crusing. but on the track(road course) they are heavy and under braked.
i threw a bunch of money at the vert just to keep up with boxsters on the track. and mods aren't cheap. mtm is one of the better german tuners and their turbo upgrade at the time was around 8k for parts only
i'm sure this has come down now that more shops have kits for them. i never had any problems with the drivetrain on my cars and i beat the hell out of them(10-15 trackdays a year then).
the interior is one of the best out there.
the only problems i had was quirky electronics. nothing big but stuff like the one touch windows would stop working until you turned the ignition off then on the next time. after that it was fine again. you know, little weird stuff. nothing that needed replacing though.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^ good feedback.

Carlos
Old May 31, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

you can always buy the one i traded in on to buy my evo... here is a link with all my pics... its the silver one..

BTW it was smooth compared to the evo... top speed was around 163 after chip gearing only allows it to do 167 max.. my best quarter was 14.1 with a custom 3'' exhaust, DV,INTAKE,COILOVERS ect. ect. where is it at?

pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/84342.phtml

Link of my Silver TT
Old May 31, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

if you were looking to get techincal then here...

1st: the 1.8T is goofy like ours, cant vent BOV's in to atmosphere
2nd: the 225 is better than the 180, but the 225 cant be modded as well because the downpipe is split in 2 and joins at the cat basically in which it rest 1/4 inch off the fire wall excluding the replacement or upgrade of a down pipe inless you purchase the APR 3" turbo back that is $2,000....
3rd: modding turbo kits.. Del Rio, ATP, APR, MTM, and a few others no include kits... all get you around 350WHP cheapest being ATP no software included almost impossible to get custom software done. Apr most reliable and newest being $6,000 including everything to the FMIC...
finally its a great looking car, but not meant to be lowered, even though its based on the VW GTI, BUG platform, its rear suspension has a certian geometry to it that cannot be corrected no matter how many camber kits you purchase, just cant be fixed.... THANK GOD I WAS SPONSERED by KUHMO... becasue every 2000 miles my tires in the rear were trashed...

Just a few things to think about... as stated above interior is great, but the performance take a couple grand to make it fast.. but for $500 (chip) its bearable...

Hope some of this information helps you out.. Btw i loved my roadster, i had almost $15,000 invested in it, and looked like a million bucks...
Old Jun 2, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Is a good looking car in my opinion. The 225hp you can tell the difference by the twin exhaust in the back.

At least you are being honest bro, you can't afford a Evo at this point but the Audi is a heck of a car plus HPA makes some neck breaking turbokits for that car.

Good luck on that car, I hope you get it.

Carlos
Do both the quattro and the non- quattro come in the 180 and 225 versions? I just assumed that the quattro was the 225hp version, opps. I definitely like the look of the dual and was looking into it but it sounds like its a pain to mod, I have no intention of spending $3000 for an exhaust. I'm still slightly confused about the different engines, are they both 1.8L, if so what is the difference, I did a google search and I can't really find a clear answer. The car will be either a 2000 or 2001. In my price range the mileage on the car will be between 60,000 and 75,000, I dont plan on going any higher then that.

I know a few guys said they have owned the car, but how many miles were on it?

To everyone else thanks for all the information so far, really helpfull.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:40 PM

Ok so I've figured out all the model info --1.8L 4 cylinder 180 hp with manual gearbox, 1.8L 4 cylinder Turbo with 226 hp manual gearbox, either available with quattro-- but I'm still looking for info in the reliability at high mileage. Also, audiworld doesn't seem to have to many active members, at least in the tt forums, so I'm still looking for a good forum. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ndilo21
I'm still looking for a good forum. Thanks guys.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeromain?id=61