Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

300zx vs MKIII Supra?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WillEatUrSTi
Ya I mentioned that up above as well. I believe Z cars also have issues with bearings when pushing power.
That's right you were aware of the head gasket issues. I forgot to mention that the 5 speed transmissions are pretty stout in the MKIII's. You just need a good clutch to hold the extra power. My nephews friend still has the stock MKIII 5 speed hooked up to his 2JZ swap. My nephew had a 4 speed automatic and ran pretty hard with a custom 3,000 stall converter we installed. The only thing was that it kept blowing the second gear band. I wouldn't recommend the automatic unless you knew somebody who was an expert in beefing up Toyota automatics. It's a shame because the automatic was a great 1/4 mile tranny. The American automatics can be made to take alot of abuse, but the Japanese automatics still fall behind.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since learning how to drive stick I have no desire to drive a slushbox again. So an auto will not be an issue here. I'm hoping there are alot more Supra Turbo's that come in stick, it seems like most of the 300zx tt's I find on the net or read about in mags are auto
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

MK3 > 300ZX

Its got a huge aftermarket.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by WillEatUrSTi
LOL with all the confusion I guess I should have put MKIII in bold caps and so on. I realize the evo would hand both those cars their butts on a road course but I at least wanted somethign that could hold it's own in that department.

Couple questions
I know the Supra motors are strong despite head gasket issues but are they somewhat comparable to the strength of the 2JZ or not even close?
Keep in mind generally a70 owners don't make the money or spend the money that MKIV owners do... there are plenty of 800rwhp+ 7mgte's, and a bunch of 1jz/2jz swapped mkiii that make the same or more

Which motor can handle more power stock for stock 7MGTE or VG?
Both around the same, I used to moderate on the 300ZXClub, and I'm a fan of both

Which cars tend to have the higher hp figures and better times modified.
I'd say they are equal again, but honestly IMO the Supra is much easier to get there

The Supra is the cheaper car but also only starts with what 220hp about that so I'd have an 80 hp gap to make up. Is power really easy to get out of these just like the 2JZ's?
230hp, 250 ft lbs of torque. You can get power HELLA easy... one of the most restrictive exhaust systems ever... full exhaust with a divorced down pipe is a 100rwhp + gain... check out becauseican.com . Also, UPGRADED stock turbo, $400, exhaust, lex afm $100, 550 injectors ? clutch and a MBC = near 500rwhp.

Maybe sport compact went about it the wrong way but I thought they had really put alot of money/effort into their Z car and on race gas and nitrous I thought they laid down in my opinion a meager 550whp around there. Is this car a spend more for less kind of car to mod?
Z's have a lot of issues imo, not easy to go single, CRAMPED *** engine bay ect

Is a later model Z car worth getting that has the VTC?
No

How are the trannys in both the Z and Supra.
Not sure about the Z's... but the R154 is pretty beefy for the supra

Thanks guys keep the comments coming and be sure to say which you would pick.

Here ya go.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
AN MKIII was my 1st car, I love them so
Old Jul 24, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

i say go for the supra.... not only will it hold up some type of value but it will be much easier to work on..... have you ever seen a 300zx engine bay... its one big cluster fnck!! lol
Old Jul 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

i think the Z has an edge being a slightly superior engine as it was a generation ahead of the mkiii. nevertheless toyota did an excellent job overengineering the mkiii like the mkiv so it will hold its own. the Z is a very stout car but isnt overengineered like the toyotas....

close call here.....
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:43 PM

1jz/2jz swaps are pretty easy for a mkiii... incase you have some nasty power goals.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:53 AM

Wait a minute! You guys are toting the Supra as though it were the chariot of the gods! Now i have an Mk3 and my bro-in-law has a 91 300TT and after being a hardcore Supra lover for almost 10 years i gotta say they are crap. I do all the work on the Sup and the Z and his by far has less problems than mine. People think Toyota just because its Toyota is built tough and blah blah blah, thats the 1st mistake. Never go on a reputation without back up that is where you fall. MK3s have many problems, check our forums, "An mk3 without anything to fix on it? Such a thing does not exist" is basically our motto. Every car will have its weak link, the Z is indeed a pain in the *** to work on, but better i gotta say after having ample experience with both and being a factory trained Nissan/Toyota tech
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ Despite this i used to work at a Toyota dealership and i hardly ever saw Mk III supras in the shop. If they did come in it was for basic maintenance. Nothing serious. I would defiently go with swapping a 1J or 2J though.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tripperfx3
^^^ Despite this i used to work at a Toyota dealership and i hardly ever saw Mk III supras in the shop. If they did come in it was for basic maintenance. Nothing serious. I would defiently go with swapping a 1J or 2J though.
Much like evos, I doubt many supra owners would take their cars back to the dealership to get work done.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

300ZXTT is really hard to work on. if u look under the hood, everything is just cramed in. there's just no room. a friend of mine has a 94.they look ok imo.

supra on the other hand is just wow.another friend of mine has a 94 6speed supra. single turbo. n since its an inline six, there's **** load of room in the engine compartment