Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mitsubishi Raider Already Dead?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:05 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Raider Already Dead?!

Apparently it was a huge flop:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...subishi_Raider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Raider

This Dodge Dakota clone sold so poorly that Mitsubishi reportedly stopped production after just four months
Sales have been poor, with just 377 and 492 sold in January and February 2006, respectively, compared to 4,583 and 6,260 Dakotas. Mitsubishi dealers reportedly have a 6-month supply of Raiders on their lots, and the company has asked DaimlerChrysler to cut production.[1] 9,861 Raiders were built in 2005, and just 297 more were built from the first of the year through March 11, 2006 according to Automotive News.
I'm still a Mitsubishi fan, even after I sold the Evo, but it seems that they just cant catch a break. How long can they keep this up in the US Market before they have to cut their losses and leave?

Last edited by slt; Jul 11, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:21 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
why enter the pickup market with the raider? they should just redesign the montero at least it has some fan base.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't think it was smart to try to enter Pick-up truck market with competitions like Tundra, Tacoma, F-150, Ridgeline, etc

Well let's see what Mitsu does after this...
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe they should have just made the Raider the Ralliart Raider. It might have done a little better! Not much, but maybe a little!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TwoMix9900
I didn't think it was smart to try to enter Pick-up truck market with competitions like Tundra, Tacoma, F-150, Ridgeline, etc

Yup those are some big acts to follow.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

4 months is how long that lasted

I'd like to see the face of the person who did the market research on that product.

WADAD
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I dont know why it flopped? Its the same thing as the Dodge Dakota.

I mean Im looking for a 4wd work truck and if they can slash the price on the Raider, give 0%, and a 100k warrenty, plus manage to stay in business for the next 10 yrs. lol

I might take a look at one. But I think the last statement might be the most far fetched, lol

Go Mits...........
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like was said. truck is tough competetion with die hard people that only buy ford/chevy trucks. more so then even cars (ie: stang/ any import.)

Ive never even seen one on the road..... From pix I think it looks good.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silvrevo
I dont know why it flopped? Its the same thing as the Dodge Dakota.
I think that's exactly why it flopped, it's a Dodge Dakota. Why buy a Dodge from someone other than Dodge? Especially in the truck market which severely favors domestic vehicles.

I've seen more Raiders on the road, though, than Honda's truck. Granted, I've seen 2 Raiders, and only 1 of the Honda's. That's Michigan for ya.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:18 PM

It vuz zee Germans

Mercedes said "do it, and like it" during the occupation. DCx already knew they wouldn't be able to sell enough Dakotas,... especially looking like they do. So they made their then partner Mitsubishi, (ahem) finish the leftovers. Mitsubishis Thai pickup truck, the LM200 would have been a better idea. A true small truck. It may be at MOD06.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by TwoMix9900

There's the upcoming Outlander, which I almost hate to say, looks better than the competition.

Here's the Mitsubishi propaganda:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...25075&mime=ASC

And that Lancer Ralliart spyshot, damn if that car doesn't look pretty good.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BensLancer
Maybe they should have just made the Raider the Ralliart Raider. It might have done a little better! Not much, but maybe a little!

He's right the Ralliart Raider would have been a good idea. In the car industry sporty **** sells, look at the Tacoma.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

The Raider is not dead, and in fact has seen an increase of sales each month. Mitsubishi has also seen an increase in sales in April, May, but not June but there is a reason for that. But July should also be an increase for sales compared to July of of 2005.

From theautochannel.com-
Mitsubishi Tops 10,000 for Fourth Straight Month
Mitsubishi reported June sales were off 5.8% from last June, though the automaker topped the 10,000 mark in units sold for the fourth consecutive month. MMNA last sold 10,000-plus vehicles for four months in a row during May-August 2005. Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were more than triple the number of sales in June 2005. Year-to-date Spyder sales are up 35%. The automaker’s Raider pickup, launched last fall, had its fifth consecutive month-over-month increase.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

From Winding Road-

A study released today by automotive consulting firm AutoPacific summarizes the results of its 2006 model year owner satisfaction research. AutoPacific’s VSA (Vehicle Satisfaction Award) study is an industry benchmark for objectively measuring how satisfied an owner is with their new car or light truck.
The vehicle registering highest overall satisfaction in 2006 is the Lincoln Navigator Luxury SUV. The highest rated car is the new-for-2006 Hyundai flagship — Hyundai Azera.

We were surprised to find Lincoln’s Navigator at the top of the list. David E.’s reaction was, of course, not without some level of irony: “An SUV?! Those gas-guzzling slobs of machinery? What sort of right-thinking American would want one of those?”

Unlike 2005, when Nissan North America had seven winners, the 2006 results are distributed across the industry. There are eighteen Vehicle Satisfaction Award categories. Honda won four categories, General Motors won three categories, Ford won three categories, Nissan won two categories, Hyundai won two categories, Mitsubishi won two categories.

Top 2006 model year performers are:

BRAND: Lexus

PASSENGER CARS:

Premium Luxury Car Lexus LS
Entry Luxury Car Cadillac CTS
Luxury/Large Car Hyundai Azera
Premium Mid-Size Car Volkswagen Passat
Mid-Size Car Mercury Milan
Image Compact Car MINI Cooper
Compact Car Honda Civic
Sports Car Chevrolet Corvette
Sporty Car Acura RSX
LIGHT TRUCKS:

Large Light-Duty Pickup Nissan Titan
Large Heavy-Duty Pickup Chevrolet Silverado HD
Sport Utility Truck Honda Ridgeline
Compact Pickup Mitsubishi Raider
Luxury Sport Utility Lincoln Navigator
Large Sport Utility Nissan Armada
Premium Mid-Size Sport Utility Mitsubishi Endeavor
Mid-Size Sport Utility Hyundai Santa Fe
Compact Sport Utility Suzuki Grand Vitara
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Old Jul 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Last but not least from digiads.com-

July 3, 2006 -- CYPRESS, Calif. -- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) today reported June sales of 10,004 units, the fourth consecutive month that U.S. sales topped the 10,000 mark. MMNA last sold 10,000-plus vehicles for four months in a row during May-August 2005.
"We are pleased that we have established consistent sales of over 10,000 vehicles per month," said President & CEO Hiroshi Harunari. "This will serve as a platform for what we expect to be an exciting summer in our dealerships, followed by the launch of our all-new Outlander in the Fall."

* Eclipse coupe sales were 2,186, up 2.1% from last year's June volume. CYTD, Eclipse coupe sales are up 60% over last year CYTD.
* Eclipse Spyder convertible sales were 826, more than triple the number of sales in June 2005. Spyder sales are up 35% CYTD.
* Lancer Evolution closed at 417, with a volume increase of 40% over June 2005.
* The Raider pickup truck, which was launched last Fall, showed it’s fifth consecutive month-over-month increase.

Note: Total Mitsubishi sales in June 2005 were 10,621.

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations of the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation in the United States. Mitsubishi Motors sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, sport utility vehicles, and light trucks through a network of approximately 540 dealers.

Source: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Raider Already Dead?!