Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E36 BMW Project Car (Some questions related to Supercharger or Turbocharger) *long*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation E36 BMW Project Car (Some questions related to Supercharger or Turbocharger) *long*

Well I looked around for decent prices on 240sx's and they seem great and all but another 240 for me isnt going to cut it, plus 240sxforums are really low in terms of people(no offence). Basically I wanted to try something new and was thinking along the lines of an E36 M3. Realibilty doesn't come into play for me because its not going to bother me that much. However I wanted to know what do you think would be more realiable situation: Going with a turbocharger system pushing past 450BHP or a Supercharger system rated @ 418BHP? This is going to be a track car as well as a daily driver, and I do realize how much power it will be putting to the ground and fully aware of what could go wrong, I just need some opinons.

I thought of going with an AA turbocharger, although it is a little expensive:

http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/obd2s2/main.php

I was just wondering would I have to get stage1 before I could move along to stage 2? I think you just buy the stage 2 but I just wanted to make sure.

Now onto the Supercharger, there are some benefits. Reduced lag, Low pressure blowers (say, up to 7 psi) won't cause a problem, but going to higher pressure may require new hose fittings and things that would be normally associated with turbocharging an M3. 9psi Supercharger opposed to a 15psi turbocharger is a + to me.

Now if you were to choose what would you go with? Im rarely going to be dragging this car...its more of a track car and would need to have instant power, no lag. I think I answered my own question, probably go with a SC. However, I want to know what am I going to be losing when going with a SC? What will be my gains? Im not fully aware of Supercharging cars but im more suited for turbocharging engines.

I could give you some numbers and dyno sheets of them compared.

Turbocharging:
Power: 359 WHP @ 6000 rpm (459 BHP)
Torque: 367.7 ft/lbs @ 4500 rpm
0 - 60 mph: under 5 sec
0 - 100 mph: 10.17 seconds
Top speed: 170+ mph
1/4 mile: 12.1
Boost Level: 14 psi

http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/obd2s2/main.php

SC'ing
BMW E36 M3 Twin Screw Supercharger Kit Components: Level II (9.0psi) (stage 2)

1. All items listed for Level I
2. 418 BHP @ 9.0 psi Boost Level
3. Integrated Opcon Laminova Water/Air Intercooler
4. Constant Duty Intercooler Pump

http://www.activeautowerke.com/super...e36m3/main.php

Im probably going to be spending close to around 15K ..well thats my budget...i'll be doing all the labor along with a couple of buddies. So don't worry about that.

Any opinons would be great!

I will also have supporting mods obviously, drivetrain, suspension, exhaust, intake etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by gatorade; Jul 12, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

Bump for anyone that has a good opinon going to put this up on a bimmer board.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

AA twin screw FTW. You need to read bimmerforums.com . They can answer all of your questions.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:08 PM

bimmerforums.com would be better place for your questions.

That said, the twin screw sc is definatley a killer set up.

You get constant and a lot of torque throughout the rpm range and is a lot more consistant on the track(road course). But that's just me.

Also check out technique tunning (techniquetunning.com?), NickG has been on the BMW scene for quite a while too and his turbo kit and software looks a lot better than what AA has to offer.

He also sells anothe twin screw type sc foe less $$ too.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:17 PM

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36obd2turbo.htm
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Pffft.

Attached Thumbnails E36 BMW Project Car (Some questions related to Supercharger or Turbocharger) *long*-m357.jpg  
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by slightlyshady1
AA twin screw FTW. You need to read bimmerforums.com . They can answer all of your questions.
I will, thanks. Just registered today The kit from AA does look like it does the job.

Originally Posted by poohlvhun
bimmerforums.com would be better place for your questions.

That said, the twin screw sc is definatley a killer set up.

You get constant and a lot of torque throughout the rpm range and is a lot more consistant on the track(road course). But that's just me.

Also check out technique tunning (techniquetunning.com?), NickG has been on the BMW scene for quite a while too and his turbo kit and software looks a lot better than what AA has to offer.

He also sells anothe twin screw type sc foe less $$ too.
I thought it would be an amazing set-up (twin-screw) since the torque is amazing and produces great numbers. I'm looking for a good track kit so it looks like this is the one to go with.

I will keep in mind about Nickg's turbokit, but im looking for a supercharging kit. Not that I don't like turbokit's, its just I need full on power and no lag whereas the SC gets power right away opposed to the turbo which creates lag and is a definate killer in track races.

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Pffft.

Can you enlighten me on what im supposed to be looking at? Im kinda new sorry
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gatorade

Can you enlighten me on what im supposed to be looking at? Im kinda new sorry
the LS1 engine from a chevy in the engine bay of the bmw....
Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by gatorade
I will keep in mind about Nickg's turbokit, but im looking for a supercharging kit. Not that I don't like turbokit's, its just I need full on power and no lag whereas the SC gets power right away opposed to the turbo which creates lag and is a definate killer in track races.

NickG has a twinscrew as well, cheaper and better software(i think)
Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Seems like the people over on bimmer forums really like his tunes. Ah just noticed it was an LS1, im not used to seeing them in BMW's but more in RX7's.

Thanks guys, learning every minute over on bimmerforums!