Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Al Friedman tuning STI's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i definetly agree, i,m an evo guy myself,had a modded 03 8 and now a BR 350 IX (#005), but i,ve always liked the STI. i test drove an 06 and actually loved the car except for the hood scoop which bothered me a little because of driving the evo with the flat hood (you dont see or stare at the heat extracter) its hard not to kinda look or stare at the scoop when driving but i guess you get used to it like anything else. The test car i drove had the optional short shifter and boost gauge which i think are the only options and it felt great (the shifting) and the ride and handling were great also. But when i got back in the evo to leave my mind was made up to stick with evo,s forever,the sti felt anemic compared to the evo. BTW i test drove it just to see what it was like.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos, not asking you to use the utec for tuning, but to datalog and see what is going on that is causing you not to make the power you expect. Set the utec to map0, it will run in bypass, you could log in real time on stevens mustangdyno and correlate that with the dynograph.

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Abner,

I guess you are not updated uh?, Edwin's UTEC is not working as we speak. Edwin asked Ray to call TurboXS to find out what is going on but Ray never got a reply via e-mail or phone from TurboXS.

You should know by know that I hate the UTEC, it did not do absolutely nothing on my WRX. I have a tendency to try the sucesfull products, per instance I know Vishnu has a good package for the STI's, I also know Cobb tunning has their own but I still want the same benefits of using the stock ECU by having a flash. I am trying to avoid getting a ECUTEK unless is proved to really make that much more power.

Abner, fortunately I have many friend in Tucson with STI's, I will go and ask them to let me drive their cars in excahnge for a ride on my car. I know I am not going to be dissapointed.

You already know first hand how Jonh's black 05 STI and Edwins 05 MR did from a roll with the same mods (dead even).

PJ couldn't run his car because he couldn't find C16, Ray is afarid of breaking his Evo but you can find some pictures from the race this past weekend under www.evoixgrl.blogspot.com

The guy on the silver GTO is Shadrick(black dude from Sierra vista ) that put the highest numbers on the AWD dyno on his Evo 8 MR. He sold the Evo a few weeks ago.

Take care and stay in touch.

Carlos
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

PJ couldn't run his car because he couldn't find C16, Ray is afarid of breaking his Evo but you can find some pictures from the race this past weekend under www.evoixgrl.blogspot.com

Uh.......i dont think ime afraid to break parts..........but why run it if ime knocking and pulling 5 degrees of timing???? No sence in buying an engine for the benifit of everyones curiosity of how fast my car is.......I might only run the pinks format and NOT be timed and keep everyone guessing!!!.........patience grasshopper........it will get run............when ime ready..............Ray
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
Uh.......i dont think ime afraid to break parts..........but why run it if ime knocking and pulling 5 degrees of timing???? No sence in buying an engine for the benifit of everyones curiosity of how fast my car is.......I might only run the pinks format and NOT be timed and keep everyone guessing!!!.........patience grasshopper........it will get run............when ime ready..............Ray
Ray!!!! u're suppose to be ZzzzZZZzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

off tommarrow.........Buying a 1st gen talon this week.......my new drag car!!!!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

damn ray!! 2.7L with a 42R?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rraulston
off tommarrow.........Buying a 1st gen talon this week.......my new drag car!!!!
Done deal with Archy? Congrats!! Your garage is a true warehouse of 4G63 parts anyways

If the deal with Archy does not go through let me know, I know of someone that has a red 90 GSX 5 speed for $1300 that runs.

pssshhh Ray, soo much time on evolutionm and by now you would have been done with my header......

Carlos
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 05' STi and i love it! i am on the stock motor with a FP Red. I however love the evo as well and will be geting a 9 very shortly. And yes the tranny i damn near bullet proof the big valley guys ran over 700whp through a stock STi 6 speed for a long time before 5th gear went out.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Actually working in an 99.9% Subaru performance shop, there are many misconceptions when it comes to the '05-06 STI's...

1.) The motor are pretty strong, we've pushed 550awhp for almost two seasons on the stock internals and race gas on a 35R. They're not brittle as they're so often put as being.

2.) The transmission is rediculously stronger than an Evo...damn near bulletproof. "Bulletproof" like the Supra's motor :P.

3.) They are very nice cars given the proper suspension/chassis stiffening braces and can be made to handle very neutral relatively easily.

4.) Their turning radius can easily be VASTLY improved over the Evo's by swapping them out with a JDM counterpart.

...etc. they're nice cars..just get rid of those hideous seats, and me personally, I favor the '05>'06.

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/Videos/STiBroke.wmv

The STI tranny is less complicated where the motor sits right in front and goes straight back, the Evo has 3 90 Degree bends to make the power. The Evo Tranny is fine if you treat it right.

The STI gearing is WAY WAY too lower, I hate it. Interior is tiny as hell but niver. WAY WAY WAY easier to make power on the 4G63 and the power band is better, the STI motor with 550WHP is kinda rare.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

its a Sad day for the evo community
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

When I say what I said, it's not because I read it, it's because we've done and experiemented with it
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

So Carlos, ready to do some datalogging to see "whats" in your ECU?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
carlos if you dont mind me asking. what do you do for a living?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos,

Good to see more of us with an open mind. I have both the 8MR and an 05Sti (see left) and I love both. If you go for the 05 with slightly more rear torque bias you'll find it quite different from the evo, in a nice way. Sure you probably won't get as much gain from a couple of bolt ons but that's more to do with the evo being extraordinarily responsive to mods rather than the sti being slow. Anyway, if you want to get to like +500whp then it's the same money whichever you choose.

I'm no expert in ecu's but from what I've heard, the ecu's in Sti's are really quite clever ( http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/aftermarket/ ). Apprently, this means that they're quite fussy about what you use to tune them. From what I've heard, people have been getting very good results with Ecutek on Sti's and I get the impression Ecutek is made pretty much for the sti originally. Unfortunately, the ecutek tuner here (only one in country) charges silly amounts for what he does so I haven't had mine done yet.

Here's a few dynos of BOTH evo's and Sti's tuned by the same guys. I'll leave it to you to compare, but I think they're pretty even. Unfortunately they're in New Zealand so it's perhaps not very convenient for you but i think it gives useful comparison.

Keep us posted about how you get on with the sti...

Last edited by x838nwy; Jul 26, 2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old Jul 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
06 MR is SImply the SHIT and I just love the power and handling and the power it makes. I really tried to go for a 2006 STI but they want MORE for it over the MR, WTF?

Quick Reply: Al Friedman tuning STI's