Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Al Friedman tuning STI's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Al Friedman tuning STI's

Al,

I am considering buying a STI soon, don't worry, I am keeping the Evos. I noticed that you tune a bunch of Evos but I haven't seen you tuning many STI'S.

I am planing on tuning my future car with you but I want to know if you can tune using the stock ECU or if you need a ECUTEK. I would prefer using the stock ECU though.

I always heard that the stock Evo ECU is very friendly for flashes but most Subaru owners use Cobb access ports, ECUTEK ,UTEC etc but not many use the stock ECU only.
There is no doubt in my mind that you are a master of Evo tuning but I want to know if you can achieve similar gains by tuning the stock STI ECU.

I would prefer not having to buy a ECUTEK at all. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Carlos
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wtf????
Old Jul 24, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Considering he refers to them as "slowbarus" all the time, I wouldn't give him a dime if I had a Sti or Wrx. That isn't very good business practice on his part.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
Wtf????
Yeah Ray. I am not crazy, I am getting rid of some cars (not the Evo) and getting a STI which I always like.

Today's dyno sesion was dissapointing, you were there. I tried everything and still made much less power . I just can't comprehend what is going on, months ago my Evo 8 was a bench mark for simple mods and tons of torque. Today you sw what happened, more mods, race gas, less power.. simply unaceptable. If Socorro's Evo 9 makes more power than mine then I will be very pissed .

The budget for the Evo 8 MR is over, not a single dime for that car. At least $1600 wasted and my carsince that sucessfull dyno number at Vividracing but now is putting less power and torque. Time to move on..

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 24, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by midwestmonster
Considering he refers to them as "slowbarus" all the time, I wouldn't give him a dime if I had a Sti or Wrx. That isn't very good business practice on his part.
I am aware of that already but good point though. It is undeniable that ultimately the Evo(specially the 05 and Evo 8's and 06 Evo 9) makes more power than the STI with similar mods. I still want that car, their trannys are bulletproof and the car is nice regardless of the performance

Carlos
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Ecutek wire + ECUFlash program..I don't see how it wouldnt work. I'll try it out with our shop car tomarrow if at all possible.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

their tranny's are not bulletproof. They're stronger than the evos, but not bulletproof
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Actually working in an 99.9% Subaru performance shop, there are many misconceptions when it comes to the '05-06 STI's...

1.) The motor are pretty strong, we've pushed 550awhp for almost two seasons on the stock internals and race gas on a 35R. They're not brittle as they're so often put as being.

2.) The transmission is rediculously stronger than an Evo...damn near bulletproof. "Bulletproof" like the Supra's motor :P.

3.) They are very nice cars given the proper suspension/chassis stiffening braces and can be made to handle very neutral relatively easily.

4.) Their turning radius can easily be VASTLY improved over the Evo's by swapping them out with a JDM counterpart.

...etc. they're nice cars..just get rid of those hideous seats, and me personally, I favor the '05>'06.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Incognito,

I have a local friend which goes to the track every single time, his name is Kristien. As far as I know he has raced his STI at the track on almost every single event for about 18 monthand had not a single issue..
Definately not all the Subarus are like that, my WRX trannys turned into mushpotatoes twice.
I also recall when I use to surf NASIOC that hardly anyone had tranny issues. What it surprises me is the triple pack clutch holding soo much torque on those STI'S.

I just want something to drive differently and I always want it the STI so among all the competitors I think the STI is a good purchase.

Since I can't afford the 06, did you said the 05 is better than the 04?

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos I definately agree, the newer STI's don't get as much credit as they deserve...the WRX's on the other hand have weaker setups but the '05-'06 STI's are monsters..
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I hope we have "flexible mind" people on this forum to actually accept that the STI is also a heck of a car despite the rivalry. I soaked all the info posted on all the road test comparissons and found that the STI is nearly as good and sometimes better in some aspects. I think I can't go wrong with the STI either(6 speed, HID lights,DCCD,Brembo,BBS,good suspension,wing,decent seats, good engine,great tranny and clutch) so my point is that other than the Evos the STI fulfill the demand, would you guys agree?

Carlos
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

i love the STi and i am sure that you will be very happy with it. it is quite differnt than the evo but that doesn't mean that it is not great. like i said before, for modding, i will take the evo any day of teh week. however, if you want a fast car that is fun to drive, the STI is a blast. and yes, i would go for the 05 over the 04 (wider rims, small suspension improvments etc..). don't even pay attention to all this rivelry bull****. we buy cars that are fun to drive and it shouldn't matter if teh companies have a rivelry going on.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos, maybe one more try........borrow the UTEC from Edwin and data log your ignition timing and AFR on Stevens dyno. You mods are good, engine is strong...check whats up with the tune. 0.00000002 cents of mine.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Hey I debated over which of the two cars I wanted for a long time before I was ready to buy. Even though I decided to go with the Evo(easier to mod/used to own a couple gsx eclipses so it was a familiar layout). I still really like the STi and would love to own both.... Sti can be a more daily driver/road trip car and the Evo a weekend/track warrior...

Maybe in a year or so...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Abner,

I guess you are not updated uh?, Edwin's UTEC is not working as we speak. Edwin asked Ray to call TurboXS to find out what is going on but Ray never got a reply via e-mail or phone from TurboXS.

You should know by know that I hate the UTEC, it did not do absolutely nothing on my WRX. I have a tendency to try the sucesfull products, per instance I know Vishnu has a good package for the STI's, I also know Cobb tunning has their own but I still want the same benefits of using the stock ECU by having a flash. I am trying to avoid getting a ECUTEK unless is proved to really make that much more power.

Abner, fortunately I have many friend in Tucson with STI's, I will go and ask them to let me drive their cars in excahnge for a ride on my car. I know I am not going to be dissapointed.

You already know first hand how Jonh's black 05 STI and Edwins 05 MR did from a roll with the same mods (dead even).

PJ couldn't run his car because he couldn't find C16, Ray is afarid of breaking his Evo but you can find some pictures from the race this past weekend under www.evoixgrl.blogspot.com

The guy on the silver GTO is Shadrick(black dude from Sierra vista ) that put the highest numbers on the AWD dyno on his Evo 8 MR. He sold the Evo a few weeks ago.

Take care and stay in touch.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Al Friedman tuning STI's