Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Who knows about Toyota Supra's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fusionchicken
big powered supra's aren't made for the strip IMHO....

they're made for the freeway. and they are F***ING INSANE on the freeway when they're done right. lose traction at 100mph but basically at that point anything under 100mph is useless...they'll just spin and spin...maybe a civic can keep up

to the OP: sounds like a killer deal. auto or not just get it first...do a manual swap later lol
There is no denying the blistering freeway pull of a modded Supra, but they are not 1/4 mile warriors, hence the reason that the majority of them are "dyno queens."
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

when did i not say LS1s arent powerful? Did i say anything about their hp #s? Did I? NO. My point is simple: the LS1s bottom end isnt as powerful as the supra's which can support 1000whp'ish. Even if a stock supra runs 13s, an extra 700whp is gonna give him 1 second more in the 1/4? please...i have no clue what kind of supras you are witnessing packing 1000whp and running 12s...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

and I like domestics as well so I'm not dissing the LS1. I wanted a 5.7L GTO which is packing a LS1. Point here is: A 1000WHP SUPRA DOESNT RUN 12S...unless its running on street tires spinning through every gear.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care if it's a dyno queen or not. Send me pics, ill cut him a check for 17500!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
when did i not say LS1s arent powerful? Did i say anything about their hp #s? Did I? NO. My point is simple: the LS1s bottom end isnt as powerful as the supra's which can support 1000whp'ish. Even if a stock supra runs 13s, an extra 700whp is gonna give him 1 second more in the 1/4? please...i have no clue what kind of supras you are witnessing packing 1000whp and running 12s...
A Supra will not hold 1000 whp on a stock block, buddy. Try about 700-800 hp. Not shabby by any means, but there is a huge difference.

You never bothered to make ANY point about the LS1, period. What you spouted off was "I don't think LS1s are that powerful." Well, if by now you don't realize how painfully obvious it is that nobody seems to care what you think, I don't know what to tell you.

Ah, and how many 1000 whp Supras have you seen?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
A Supra will not hold 1000 whp on a stock block, buddy. Try about 700-800 hp. Not shabby by any means, but there is a huge difference.

You never bothered to make ANY point about the LS1, period. What you spouted off was "I don't think LS1s are that powerful." Well, if by now you don't realize how painfully obvious it is that nobody seems to care what you think, I don't know what to tell you.

Ah, and how many 1000 whp Supras have you seen?
There actually has been many MKIV's that have hit 900-1000hp on the stock block,
that bottom end is bullet proof, yes i would probably build it if i was going for 1000hp, but many have done it
I have seen many 600-900hp supras and they are well below the 12 second mark, and the few 1000+hp ones i have seen run at the track that had slicks were sub 10 or even sub 9 seconds.
A BPU supra will pull 11's without a problem
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:05 PM
Account Disabled

They can be beasts all they want. They can't launch for sh*t. Why do you think there aren't many running faster than the 10s when they have the power to do it?

Hmmm....."it seems."

Dude im not going to argue with you but it seems like you need to pull your head out of your ***. Switch up the tires, get some nitrous for some spool...and 1000whp supras will blow the doors off of everything...

And tell me ...you can take your LS1132432 ..I will take my 2JZ supra ...and look better and still perform better in every aspect of the game.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can be beasts all they want. They can't launch for sh*t. Why do you think there aren't many running faster than the 10s when they have the power to do it?

Hmmm....."it seems."
Get your info straight buddy...Theres tons of street legal supras well below the 10's. The are able to put all the crazy power the make to the ground... And actually auto supras are great for the 1/4 mile...but this car would not be a bad purchase regardless as long as its in good shape...

Heres a link to top 100 1/4 miles supra times...all below 10.7
http://suprastore.com/top10014miti.html
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think this is a real deal. Anyone who owns a Supra knows what it's worth. It's either a salvage title, a NA-to-FI conversion, it's structural integrity has been compromised by an accident, or the mileage was reset or something. That price is WAY off.

It kinda sounds like a guy on ebay I asked about his Supra for sale. Ended up being a US car in Russia that would be shipped over. We know what that means...
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Is it stick or automagic? If it's auto, it's not going to be a good deal.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gatorade
Dude im not going to argue with you but it seems like you need to pull your head out of your ***. Switch up the tires, get some nitrous for some spool...and 1000whp supras will blow the doors off of everything...

And tell me ...you can take your LS1132432 ..I will take my 2JZ supra ...and look better and still perform better in every aspect of the game.
You surely wouldn't look better doing it. Supras look like bloated Celica GTs.

Not surprisingly, it figures you'd need nitrous. A buddy of mine had a supercharged LS1 with stock internals making 500+ at the wheels. None of you are going to sit here and tell me that LS1s can't make good power without aftermarket internals.

That same LS1 is now putting out over 800+ at the wheels with modified internals and a turbo setup. And not only does it run without skipping a beat, but unlike a Supra, it doesn't show up at the track on the back of a flatbed truck. It's driven.

And where you get off thinking Supras actually handle very well is beyond me, because they don't. A bone stock LS1 will SMOKE a Supra down the 1320, and yes, it sounds better and looks better doing it too.

Supras are excellent cars for the 1/4 mile? Then maybe you can explain their ungodly amounts of horsepower vs. their lousy 1/4 times. Everyone knows that an IRS is not the ideal setup for drag racing.....except you, from what it seems.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR06Evo
Get your info straight buddy...Theres tons of street legal supras well below the 10's. The are able to put all the crazy power the make to the ground... And actually auto supras are great for the 1/4 mile...but this car would not be a bad purchase regardless as long as its in good shape...

Heres a link to top 100 1/4 miles supra times...all below 10.7
http://suprastore.com/top10014miti.html
Dude, if I'm going to get my "info straight," I'll go elsewhere, thanks.

7.90s? You MUST BE joking. LT1 and LS1 F-Bodies have been running faster than 7.90s for YEARS. Buick Grand Nationals with their 3.8L turbo motors have been hitting low 7s/high 6s for YEARS. Mustangs with their modular motors have been tapping into low 7s and 6s. Yeah, all that power and Supras can't run faster than 7.90s. That goes to show what a great platform the Supra is with its IRS setup, doesn't it? Everybody knows that an IRS is NOT the idea setup for drag racing.

Isn't the fastest import a Solara that's running 6s? Dude, that's still 2 seconds SLOWER than the fastest domestics in the 1/4 mile. Yeah, that puts it into perspective when you're running 6s and still TWO SECONDS SLOWER down a 1/4 mile than another car. It just goes to show how insignificant import drag cars are. There's your reason as to why they don't even compete in the same classes.

Supras eat sh*t in the 1/4 mile. I'll stick with what I KNOW over what some Supra fanboy is going to try to tell me. Supras are awesome on the highway and suck in the 1/4 mile. Don't even get me started on the 3000 GT VR4s with their "fastest" running in the low 10s. I know of daily driven domestics running quicker than the "fastest 3000 GT."

So thanks for the offer, but I'll stick with what I already KNOW.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

I stopped reading when u asked how many 1000whp supras have i seen. HAHA!!...

2 of my buddies were head mechanics at ToySport tuning in Gardena, CA. I worked with 1 of them because 1 parted ways and started his own shop. I worked there and yeah...enough said. I know plenty of super fast camaros and super fast supras. I've heard em, seen em, seen em run highway, from a dig, etc...

Supra > Camaro
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, you're the one that sparked the LS1 war and no1 obviously cares so drop it. I like the LS1 and no arguing its a great motor, as well as the Supra's. Now you're trying to spark the infamous Import vs domestic beef which is lame and is only still alive due to redneck stang and camaro drivers who like to harass imports. once again...

POINT IS: A 1000WHP SUPRA WILL NOT RUN 12s. How many 1000whp supras have YOU seen because if u've actually seen a 1000whp run down the strip, it will break 12s with ease esp on radials or slicks. Take this to the supraforums where guys firsthand are packing insane amounts of power and running their cars down the strip or even the LS1 forums

PS: Drag racing=redneck sport. Sure we all participate in it, rednecks PRAISE it. cough cough.

Last edited by RalliArtEvoVIII; Aug 25, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

PM TURBODAWG about Supras

You should PM TURBODAWG he has a supra he is trying to sell. Premiere edition, white, single turbo T78, 6 speed, etc. 67,000 miles. He can fill you in on the details. I got to drive it the other night and on 16 lbs of boost it was ******* awsome. You should check it out. I am sure he can email some pics if you want.

Quick Reply: Who knows about Toyota Supra's