Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

to the WRX knowledgable

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone saying u need to dump thousands of dollars into a wrx to get it into the twelves they are wrong. Go on nasioc and spek with stealth-wrx he ran 12.0 flat in his wrx with stock turbo..do ur basic tbe and up-pipe, boost controller,new clutch probably a few other things im missing. and a 50 shot of NOS ull be in the twelves no problem!!! Contact him he has vids of the times hes ran.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
OK, I know exactly wo he is now. His name is also Matt and he works in a local shop(I don't want to say the name) , he runs low 14's to high 13's at SIR.

It matches 3 things you said:

pimple face
blue WRX
VF22 turbo

Carlos

LOL! Yeah his times are pretty similar to mine. His 60' is better, but he traps low.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fullyspooled
For anyone saying u need to dump thousands of dollars into a wrx to get it into the twelves they are wrong. Go on nasioc and spek with stealth-wrx he ran 12.0 flat in his wrx with stock turbo..do ur basic tbe and up-pipe, boost controller,new clutch probably a few other things im missing. and a 50 shot of NOS ull be in the twelves no problem!!! Contact him he has vids of the times hes ran.
I might not neccesarily be wrong on that. I congratulate that guy that run 12's on stock turbo and NOS. For well over 2 years there was only one shop that run 12's on stock turbo and that was QTP.

The only 2 WRX owners from Tucson that I know that run 12's spent $10000, his name is Jimmy and he drives a WRX automatic with a 2.5L STI engine, plus Aquamist plus a HKS turbokit.

The other owner that runs 12's on the WRX wagon spent more than $15000 and has a 2.35l stroker kit plus NOS, plus aquamist,plus turbokit.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...&page=10&pp=20

Interesting, I start reading on Stealth-wrx and I noticed that there was nothing on NASIOC saying that he ran low 12's on stock turbo. I did a search up to his first post back in 04 but did not find anything.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782559
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676749
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954758

I found though that there is a Stealth -WRX that made 536whp, is this the same guy? Regardless of that, could you please copy and paste the post in which you claim that he ran low 12's on stock turbo and basic bolt ons?

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

haha ive only been to SIR 2 times in the last 2 years and i know who you guys are talking about! lol 12 flat in a non Sti WRX with the stock turbo? i would think that'd need more than a 50 shot and a LOT of weight savings and one helluva driver
<---former WRX owner..... carlos check your PM's!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^Hi Tim^^.

Fullyspooled,

I don't like to argue with people much, I simply ask for proof. I normally back up all my claims(pictures,witnesses,video,receipts,dynos, you name it)

I did a extensive search on Stealth-WRX on NASIOC. I have been a member of NASIOC for about 4 years and never heard of anyone running low 12's on a WRX with such basic mods including a stock turbo. If that ever happened I am not arguing it I am just asking to elaborate more and above anything I would like to congratulate that possible WRX driver for achieving the imposible. Back in the day there was only one shop that broke into the 12's on stock turbo QTP shop from Canada.

This Stealth-wrx dude as far as I am aware he already spent $15000 plus on that WRX. Please show me a guy running 12's on stock turbo WRX consitently on a low budget. That is all I am asking. If you bring a subject up then back it up.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782559
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676749
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954758
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663327

True facts of Tucson at SIR :

only 3 WRXs ever in the 13's (High 13's) on stock turbo
Only 2 WRX's in the mid 12's both aquamist,STI block/stroker kit,turbokit and NOS
Only 2 STI's with mods ever in the high 13's Rob (Fastrob) and Kristensen

I understand you are proud of the Subaru but I have a different view, I think the 02-03 was an underachiever car that ruined many families financially and ruined many owners ambicions of a performance car due to unsatisfactory performance results.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 3, 2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slow_evo
Speaking of VF22 turbo's Carlos, I raced a guy in a '02-'03 rex w/ a VF22 turbo and I blew his doors in my stock evo.

Gotta love the Subies!!!!
The guy obviously didn't have his car tuned correctly or you wouldn't have "blown his doors off in a stock Evo."

WRXs with nothing more than a turbo-back exhaust and downpipe, plus a Stage 2 ECU tune (Cobb) are putting out 250+ whp, and they also weigh no more than about 3100 lbs. I've seen custom-tuned WRXs with the above mods putting out around 260-275 whp before.

Evos are putting out about 230 whp stock and weigh about 3300 lbs.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fullyspooled
Everyone knows it's a big no-no to run a boost controller without a good engine management.

Not to mention, I find it hard to believe that a stock-turboed WRX ran a 12.0. With N2O, it's believable, but I wouldn't expect that car to last very long....at least the transmission, anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Yeah. The $7000 was NOT part of the other few thousands dollars that I had to spent in less than two months ona new clutch and two trannys. It all mounted to around $12000-13000 for a slow unreliable WRX.

The 02-03 WRX have notoriusly fragile trannys. The design of the tranny has a horizontal lengtht wise split that has a tendency to flex under hard acceleration putting huges amounts of stress on all the internals gears.

Ironically a WRX with a up-pipe,full turboback,CAI, MBC and a tune gives you a decent reliable combo of performance,affordability and reliability. I can tell you that many WRX owners are very happy with their WRX with the mods I mentioned above, the car responds very well to such mods and it also optimizes the stock turbo and injectors.

Definately I am not here to ruin your day but the 420whp on a WRX is unrealistic unless you dump close to 5 digit $$$$$.

Carlos
Gotta love the WRX's 5spd. Nothing like having a transmission casing that literally splits. I'm glad the STi transmission isn't built the same way!

It's initially not too expensive to get some nice performance out of the WRX but once you really get into modding, things get costly very quickly. And you're right, 420 hp is going to cost near 5 digits.....not cool.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
The guy obviously didn't have his car tuned correctly or you wouldn't have "blown his doors off in a stock Evo."

WRXs with nothing more than a turbo-back exhaust and downpipe, plus a Stage 2 ECU tune (Cobb) are putting out 250+ whp, and they also weigh no more than about 3100 lbs. I've seen custom-tuned WRXs with the above mods putting out around 260-275 whp before.

Evos are putting out about 230 whp stock and weigh about 3300 lbs.
He said he had stg 3 blah blah blah idk, vf22, TB exhaust. And actually wrx's are the same weight as evos, if not more. He had a bumper on me through first gear, but after that it was game over for him. I let out in 4th and I was a good 2-3 cars ahead of him. We both had a passenger. I think my friend has it on video.

My evo is a '05 so it's not THAT slow as the other VIII's.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slow_evo
He said he had stg 3 blah blah blah idk, vf22, TB exhaust. And actually wrx's are the same weight as evos, if not more. He had a bumper on me through first gear, but after that it was game over for him. I let out in 4th and I was a good 2-3 cars ahead of him. We both had a passenger. I think my friend has it on video.

My evo is a '05 so it's not THAT slow as the other VIII's.
Please show me an Evo without weight reduction that weighs 3100 lbs.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What will WRX run with these mod??
BPU
Fuel Pump
Injector
FMIC
FP Red Turbo
Race Gas
Dog box
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
What will WRX run with these mod??
BPU
Fuel Pump
Injector
FMIC
FP Red Turbo
Race Gas
Dog box
It'll probably run around 12.70s.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Please show me an Evo without weight reduction that weighs 3100 lbs.
http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifica...ory=DIMENSIONS

http://www.mitsucars.com/MMSA/jsp/la...pecs.jsp?t=all

WRX wins by 71 pounds. Touche`

I always thought they weighed more for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of the STi.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Well I was selling my Evo 5 RS, pretty much stock low miles but no one wanted it! I asked 15 for it negociable! I live in the carribbean so it wouldn't be to much of a problem to ship. Anyways, I have a good friend in Miami, Fl. Who had a Rex. He claims he had 350 hps to the wheels! On about 7 grand of parts! They way you guys are talking, sounds like he would need double that.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

After reading this,i remembered why i didnt modify the WRX

its not really worth..

Last edited by evotec; Sep 5, 2006 at 08:41 AM.