Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

to the WRX knowledgable

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slow_evo
http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifica...ory=DIMENSIONS

http://www.mitsucars.com/MMSA/jsp/la...pecs.jsp?t=all

WRX wins by 71 pounds. Touche`

I always thought they weighed more for some reason. Maybe I was thinking of the STi.
The '06s are heavier than the '05 models.

You're thinking of the STI. The '06 STI weighs about 75 lbs more than the pre-'05 STi.

STis/STIs weigh about 150-200 lbs more than a standard WRX.

Also keep in mind that the weights you're quoting from the websites are dry weights, which means that they are not including oil, antifreeze, gasoline, window washer fluid, gear oil, etc. By the time you add all of those in, you're looking at a car that probably weighs 3400 lbs instead of 32xx lbs. That goes for both, the Evo and the STi/STI/WRX.

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Sep 5, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
The '06s are heavier than the '05 models.

You're thinking of the STI. The '06 STI weighs about 75 lbs more than the pre-'05 STi.
But the topspeed of '06 is higher then the '05 model,is that the longer gearing or the better aerodynamic shape?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotec
But the topspeed of '06 is higher then the '05 model,is that the longer gearing or the better aerodynamic shape?
It's probably a little bit of both. The '06 STI no longer has a larger hood scoop than the standard WRX. Subaru says that it's no longer needed (I think it's BS ploy for cost cutting) due to the better aerodynamics of the front end.

As for the gearing, while it's slightly different, keep in mind that the WRX now has the 2.5L motor, which is essentially an STI's motor. Even though the hp gain is minimal with the 2.5L, it has a different powerband.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Another stupid quwstion

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
It'll probably run around 12.70s.
So slow??What about adding TGV Delete,Hydra Nemsis EMS,Spec C block,Ported heas with full valvetrain,JUN Cam and GT35R/FP Red??10's??Also a STI trans with BV gear.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fullyspooled
For anyone saying u need to dump thousands of dollars into a wrx to get it into the twelves they are wrong. Go on nasioc and spek with stealth-wrx he ran 12.0 flat in his wrx with stock turbo..do ur basic tbe and up-pipe, boost controller,new clutch probably a few other things im missing. and a 50 shot of NOS ull be in the twelves no problem!!! Contact him he has vids of the times hes ran.
There is no better way to prove my point than this history from this EvoM member. The WRX owner spent more money (approximately $3500 more on TMIC, FP18G and tranny) however the results are just overwhelming:

Evo 9 makes 370 WHP & 425 FT.LBS vs 300 WHP/270 FTLBS from the WRX

This is the original link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=222080

Botton line is that there is no argument, a WRX engine WILL never accomplish the excellent results that the 4G63 can provide. There is no way around unless you spent 2-3 times the same money just on mods not including the unreliability the WRX tranny offers.

By the way, they don't mention that the WRX has a set of injectors and a upgraded fuel pump, add another $500 easily to the already ridiculous bill....

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 7, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
There is no better way to prove my point than this history from this EvoM member. The WRX owner spent more money (approximately $3500 more on TMIC, FP18G and tranny) however the results are just overwhelming:

Evo 9 makes 370 WHP & 425 FT.LBS vs 300 WHP/270 FTLBS from the WRX

This is the original link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=222080

Botton line is that there is no argument, a WRX engine WILL never accomplish the excellent results that the 4G63 can provide. There is no way around unless you spent 2-3 times the same money just on mods not including the unreliability the WRX tranny offers.

By the way, they don't mention that the WRX has a set of injectors and a upgraded fuel pump, add another $500 easily to the already ridiculous bill....

Carlos
With basic modifications you're most definitely right, but once you get into seriously heavy tuning, costs "even" themselves out. At that point, it's anybody's ballgame and the winner is going to be the guy with the most money.

Sure, the Evo is definitely cheaper to start out with, but there comes a time where cost is going to catch up to it. If it doesn't catch up in terms of purchasing parts, it surely will catch up to it in terms of repairs.

Look at the STi/STI, for instance. The turbos are mediocre at best, not to mention that the fuel injectors are already running at nearly 85% capacity from the factory. The parts are nearly maxxed out! So, while Mitsubishi left plenty of room for tuning for the Evo, Subaru took the cheapest parts they could get away with, plopped them into the STi/STI, and used what was just satisfactory enough to work reliabily with a stock or lightly modified car.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sinister Subaru,

From reading your previous post I can tell you are on my side. My comments(above) were initiated because the WRX owner used the same turbo bolt-on I use to have on my WRX.

Anyone reading the mods and dyno numbers should put 1+1 to make a logical sense.
The WRX owner already spent about $4000 over the Evo 9 owner and is still down(making less power) 70whp and 155lb/tq .. you see what I mean?

My question is, if the WRX owner already spent $4000in mods over the Evo 9 owner and is 70 whp and 155lbtq lower, how much more money the WRX owner should add to keep up with the Evo 9 dyno numbers? another $2000-$3000 ?

Back to the original subject, it would take many many more thousands dollars to make a WRX be as fast as a Evo 8-9.

It just sounds as funny as ironic, a FP18g turbo equally flows the Evo 9 turbo, if I am not mistaking the FP18g flows around 605cfm which is roughly what a Evo 9 stock turbo flows. From this point both cars shares the same displacement and both are using water/methanol/alcohol so basicly both share generic upgrades but still the WRX undeniably underperforms no matter what...

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 7, 2006 at 11:41 PM.