Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Car will not run... so annoying..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car will not run... so annoying..

Ok, 1st off, I appologize, this is not related to my Evo but I figured there are plenty of knowledgable ppl on this forum. My 98 Nissan 200sx has been giving me issues for the past few months. It will occassionally not start or bog at a certain RPM, etc..

I replaced the MAF, I replaced my plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and non of this fixed it. Well, unfortunately the car wont start at all right now... I replaced the fuel pump yesterday thinking this was the issue... It didnt start, so I pulled my upstream o2 sensor and tried again... it got running. Before I replaced the fuel pump this alone did not work however.

Keep in mind my car is one of the Nissans with that S***ty Pre-cat right off the exhaust manifold. Does this sound like a fuel issue? Or could it be a clogged cat? I'm truely lost... Tested everything.... MAF, TPS, Camshaft position sensor, and replaced everyhtin I listed above... No luck.

Odd thing is after I got the car started last night, I shut it off, put the o2 back in; it ran 20miles with my buddy driving it (I was with him). After shutting it off, we came out to the car in the morning and got it stated after about 5 tries, and now I can't get it running at all....

IDEAS??!?!?! I'm getting really frustrated and since the Evo is on downtime for about a week I really need my daily driver...

Last edited by CtSilver03Evo; Sep 20, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on my z32 twin turbo, i had a fuel pressure regulator, or fuel damper, that had a pinhole in the rubber diaphragm that would cause it to flood out, it would not start at times and would bog from too much fuel. not sayin thats it, but check for fuel in the intake.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
on my z32 twin turbo, i had a fuel pressure regulator, or fuel damper, that had a pinhole in the rubber diaphragm that would cause it to flood out, it would not start at times and would bog from too much fuel. not sayin thats it, but check for fuel in the intake.
I pulled the vaccum hose from the regulator last night and nothing was leaking... Sorry forgot to add that. I do know that if you wait 5mins, the fuel pressure does drop below factory service limit... ideas? The car isnt leaking gas anywhere I can see... So I doubt there are holes.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

I know you replced the plugs and wires, but are you getting spark?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by japspec4g63
I know you replced the plugs and wires, but are you getting spark?
Yup, did the old screwdriver in plug wire trick.... They all sparked fine. As a matter of fact, Cyl #4 thought it would be cute to spark through the screwdriver and nail me in the finger... lol.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

BUMP for help please...
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe a computer or wiring issue, any codes? does it have fuel at the rail? how does it run when started? perhaps a sensor? timing belt slipped? maybe the car jumped timing....... not enough info.......
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

u tested the maf? how so? try starting it without the maf connected, and i would also try searching the junkyards for another ecu. How did it run when it was running. Decent or just barely running. ^^ if the car jumped timing the head is most likely trashed but this is unlikely cuz you said it did run. also i would reset the ecu we need more info!