Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

350Z Track beats an MR around VIR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
I am going to put aside my love for the EVO. Why is it when a magazine does a comparison test of any vehicle versus the EVO and the EVO loses people get pissed? Is it not possible for the EVO to lose? Before you go off on me for being a "Lancer" driver, listen, I know the EVO is a great car but it is not unbeatable. As for it being beat by a Track Model 350Z, anything is possible. The only way to settle it is to have one person drive the same car around the track and see what vehicle gets the better time or find two drivers that have the same vehicles and see if they are willing to go race on a track.

Oh yeah I forgot to say, "that sucks that the EVO lost, the race was rigged."
You haven't been on www.iwsti.com much, have you? Every time the STi gets beaten by something it turns into 10 pages of analyzations of why and how the STi lost.

1. The owner can't drive.

2. Listen, the gas was never floored.

3. The STi wasn't running right.

4. He didn't know he was supposed to be racing.

It's a vicious circle. Around and around and around we go.....until Sinister Subaru gets banned for saying, "Cut the bullsh*t. The other car was simply the better car."

But, FWIW, the 350Z is a real pile.....I thought it sucked when I drove one, and it ain't much better to look at either.....
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Seriously though, this is shocking, the EVO is a car that has bested porches and $80,000 Audi's and for some unexplainable reason can't beat the heaviest of 350Z coupes around a track. Sorry I don't care what Car and Driver says the EVO is a better track car period.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Seriously though, this is shocking, the EVO is a car that has bested porches and $80,000 Audi's and for some unexplainable reason can't beat the heaviest of 350Z coupes around a track. Sorry I don't care what Car and Driver says the EVO is a better track car period.
Dude, nobody else cares what C&D says either. They're a bunch of old crusty bastards that hold nothing but opinions. It isn't like they can drive. The same goes for those monkies over at R&T. In 1995 they couldn't drive a Camaro Z28 to a 1/4 time faster than 14.9 @ 93 mph. They couldn't drive a supercharged Camaro Z28 to faster than 13.5 at something like 105 mph.

C&D will give the victory to whichever company sends them the largest donation. Why is it that BMW never loses a "comparo?" It surely isn't because they're the best car.

Automotive magazines' greatest use is for toilet paper. It's bathroom reading.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:58 AM

I don't care if the Z is faster, feels faster or is sexier. The EVO is just a better car period.

Last edited by STISTL; Sep 30, 2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STISTL
I don't care if the Z is faster, feels faster or is sexier. The EVO is just a better car period.
There is nothing sexy about the Z. It's proportions are totally wrong. Look at those fugly taillights. Can you say, "Pontiac G6?" Well, the Z was around before the G6, but still....What an ugly car.....
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
There is nothing sexy about the Z. It's proportions are totally wrong. Look at those fugly taillights. Can you say, "Pontiac G6?" Well, the Z was around before the G6, but still....What an ugly car.....
Ha. The Z drivers are porbably saying the same thing about Evos and STis with their big wings, vortex gen. and roof vain spoiler, and the alteeza looking tailights. To each his own i guess.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Ha. The Z drivers are porbably saying the same thing about Evos and STis with their big wings, vortex gen. and roof vain spoiler, and the alteeza looking tailights. To each his own i guess.
They only reason they'd be saying that is because they're consistently stuck looking at them from the rear.

More or less, they're probably saying, "I should've bought a car worth the money."
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Stock
Pick up the latest issue of Car and Driver. A track model 350Z actually beats an MR around VIR by a few tenths. They were apparently able to get on the gas a bit earlier in the Z thanks to the n/a powerplant. ??? Amazing. I'm thinking they didn't know how to drive the Evo. And it isn't that hard! Having driven 350Z's, I think they're pretty much crap compared to an Evo. Big, imprecise, vague, heavy, etc...

that doesnt make any sense to me??? ive driven one (03) and thoroughly NOT impressed....Z front end with G35 rear would look hot though!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

saw it, didn't like it.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:17 PM
Pocket Mo

The 350Z track is a car that can handle, but it feels like a pig doing so. I passed on the Z because it felt like I was driving a pick up truck compared to the Evo.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Dude, nobody else cares what C&D says either. They're a bunch of old crusty bastards that hold nothing but opinions. It isn't like they can drive. The same goes for those monkies over at R&T. In 1995 they couldn't drive a Camaro Z28 to a 1/4 time faster than 14.9 @ 93 mph. They couldn't drive a supercharged Camaro Z28 to faster than 13.5 at something like 105 mph.

C&D will give the victory to whichever company sends them the largest donation. Why is it that BMW never loses a "comparo?" It surely isn't because they're the best car.

Automotive magazines' greatest use is for toilet paper. It's bathroom reading.
that is a good point a lot of those guys are washed up retires, that dont know jack, the evo has been proven, and there is no way on earth i would believe what i see in either of those mags, if that was the case. everything on the road can take an evo. has anybody noticed that they had to pick an evo so they could look like they beat a real car, these guys knew to pic a worthy opponent
and as always,"if you beat an evo, you know you have done somthing"
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the whole article twice and I thought the craziest thing was how the Elise was in the top 6 everytime!! I also thought that it was funny how the boat GT500 was spanking the EVO too....funny funny funny.

Stock EVO's aren't anything unreal add a 100whp and let's do this test again IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOVIII200
that is a good point a lot of those guys are washed up retires, that dont know jack, the evo has been proven, and there is no way on earth i would believe what i see in either of those mags, if that was the case. everything on the road can take an evo. has anybody noticed that they had to pick an evo so they could look like they beat a real car, these guys knew to pic a worthy opponent
and as always,"if you beat an evo, you know you have done somthing"
Funny how I believe it might have been C&D, MT, or R&T that pitted the Evo MR against the new Cayman S or the 997, I can't remember which, and then they did nothing but bash the Evo and talk about how heavy it was and how horribly it understeered and handled. Yet, when they previously did a road test, they did nothing but praise it for its excellent performance.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
I read the whole article twice and I thought the craziest thing was how the Elise was in the top 6 everytime!! I also thought that it was funny how the boat GT500 was spanking the EVO too....funny funny funny.

Stock EVO's aren't anything unreal add a 100whp and let's do this test again IMO.
The Shelby might've beaten the Evo in the straight line, and it probably did, but it's a 1-trick pony, no pun intended. There is no way in Hell that 4000 lb pig of a car handled better than an Evo.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that a T2 spec (basially show room stock) Evo can beat 350Zs at VIR, I even have pics to prove it and both 350Zs were driven by excellet drivers, one a former national champ and speed world challenge pro.
Marty

go to link, scroll down to VIR

http://gmperformancedivision.com/rac...SCCA_Club.aspx

Quick Reply: 350Z Track beats an MR around VIR?