Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

WHP Limit on STi Block

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know what you mean, the engine gets so strong that it actually starts pushing and pulling back and forth however you are probably cracking your A S S about the motor mount comment on making power right?

It is no secret that a full set of good motor mounts and engine dampering shock can significantly reduce the vibration and enhance acceleration base on a more solid powerplant however motor mounts affecting the engine output? that is simply false.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 28, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its true, the 06 sti motor mounts are ****. the 04/05's are good.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 520hpsti
lol he will walk you on pump also. he should be at mid 400's on pump w/o the meth.

sick numbers for the stock turbo though
I searched around NAOSIC and didnt find one person putting down 450awhp with 35R on straight pump. Mostly 400-425.

Well now him at 19psi I can still walk him.. so I mean I dunno. I saw an STi with GT35R on Supraforums race a Z06 with intake (C5 Z06) and it BARELY pulled it.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I searched around NAOSIC and didnt find one person putting down 450awhp with 35R on straight pump. Mostly 400-425.

Well now him at 19psi I can still walk him.. so I mean I dunno. I saw an STi with GT35R on Supraforums race a Z06 with intake (C5 Z06) and it BARELY pulled it.
i was just giving out a random number, im sure your correct, i didnt look up numbers.
either way though, right now if he is on the vf39 i sure hope you can walk him haha. the evo turbo is considerbly larger than the stock sti turbo. the vf39 maxes out at about 21-22psi. but if he has a 35r and you are on your evo stock turbo im sure he will walk you.

we are jelous of you evo guys making sick power on the stock turbo, especially the guys with the 9's. anything over 320whp is unheard of on the stock sti turbo and hardly over 350 wtrq.

also remember each dyno reads differently.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

i was just giving out a random number, im sure your correct, i didnt look up numbers.
either way though, right now if he is on the vf39 i sure hope you can walk him haha. the evo turbo is considerbly larger than the stock sti turbo. the vf39 maxes out at about 21-22psi. but if he has a 35r and you are on your evo stock turbo im sure he will walk you.

we are jelous of you evo guys making sick power on the stock turbo, especially the guys with the 9's. anything over 320whp is unheard of on the stock sti turbo and hardly over 350 wtrq.

also remember each dyno reads differently.
Yeah most pump numbers I found were around 420whp but the thing is they didnt make that great of torque and theyre spooling between 4700-5000rpm. I think the worst thing about the STi is the gearing. Its so damn short everytime that monster turbo spools and starts pulling you shift.. at least thats how it felt when he took me for a ride.

Ill have it on video when hes tuned and whatnot... we wil do 2nd and 3rd gear roll-ons and I will not be suprsied if he doesnt pull me much at all with my power and my torque and instant response. My powerband is far superior at the moment.

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Sep 28, 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Yeah most pump numbers I found were around 420whp but the thing is they didnt make that great of torque and theyre spooling between 4700-5000rpm. I think the worst thing about the STi is the gearing. Its so damn short everytime that monster turbo spools and starts pulling you shift.. at least thats how it felt when he took me for a ride.

Ill have it on video when hes tuned and whatnot... we wil do 2nd and 3rd gear roll-ons and I will not be suprsied if he doesnt pull me much at all with my power and my torque and instant response.
i hope you mean fully spooled b 4700 because i have the fp3575 and i start spooling right around 4000 and am fully spooled by 4700ish. Usually torque is right around the whp # on the sti, the 2.5 is a pretty torquey motor. I have 500+ wrtq also and 500 whp +. Yes the sti gearing is not very good for big turbos and the 1/4. the 5 speed on the evo is better for the 1/4, but it is nice having a 6th gear on the highway.

IMO you will pull a little at first, but when he spools he will pull on you pretty hard.

definetly an interesting comparison though.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

i hope you mean fully spooled b 4700 because i have the fp3575 and i start spooling right around 4000 and am fully spooled by 4700ish. Usually torque is right around the whp # on the sti, the 2.5 is a pretty torquey motor. I have 500+ wrtq also and 500 whp +. Yes the sti gearing is not very good for big turbos and the 1/4. the 5 speed on the evo is better for the 1/4, but it is nice having a 6th gear on the highway.

IMO you will pull a little at first, but when he spools he will pull on you pretty hard.

definetly an interesting comparison though.
Well when we were in the car the car didnt start moving hard til 5000rpm...

Ill let the videos of when we race speak for themselves.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

DUPLICATE POST
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder anyone on here saw a vid(PR Stock Block STI run 10.3 with a bad clutch)??
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

590whp has been reached on the stock sti block.

Its all about the tune, but IMO if you go over 400whp you must get a built block. you ahve to pay to play. We dont have the pleasure of having the amazing motor of the 4g63 because the ej series is new compared to the 4g63. Also the pistons in the ej25 are the weak points as it already ahs forged rods and a forged crank. If you drop in pistons the block should take 500 whp with a good tune.

go to www.iwsti.com for more information. its a sti specific forum and probably one of the best forums around in general.

Oh and your friend seems a littel confused.. Just because he is running meth injection doesnt mean he will run 30psi. More like 22-23psi on the street. Now on race gas 30+ psi is not a problem.

If hes running pure methanol ( which i doubt) than ya 3opsi would be good.

You cant expect a stock ej25 block to hold 600whp and i doubt it will last long if it doesnt blow during tuning. It must have a perfect tune and the owner must baby the car to reach that level without blowing it up.

If you go big you better have the cash to spend when something breaks, because something will when on the stock block.

the plus side is a stock sti tranny is good for 600whp+ so he really only needs to worry about the block.
+1, and while the Ej25 does have a semi-closed deck, every other motor out there also has some weaknesses. Look at the 4g63. Crank walk? They're also known to eat oil if not broken in correctly.

I personally don't see a stock Ej25 lasting very long with 590 whp on a stock block. That's just a time bomb right there....
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
+1, and while the Ej25 does have a semi-closed deck, every other motor out there also has some weaknesses. Look at the 4g63. Crank walk? They're also known to eat oil if not broken in correctly.

I personally don't see a stock Ej25 lasting very long with 590 whp on a stock block. That's just a time bomb right there....
well the crank walk had to do mostly with the 7 bolt design, while the 6 bolts were less prone to it.

the transfer cases seem to be more of a problem on the evos, but gotta respect em and they power they make per $$.

but yes a stock ej with 590whp or IMO 500+whp wont last very long.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

well the crank walk had to do mostly with the 7 bolt design, while the 6 bolts were less prone to it.

the transfer cases seem to be more of a problem on the evos, but gotta respect em and they power they make per $$.

but yes a stock ej with 590whp or IMO 500+whp wont last very long.
My opinion of the STi is that Subaru built a car with parts that were just good enough to get the job done (hence the sh*tty turbo), while Mitsubishi turned around and built a car for the enthusiast crowd to build upon. It seems to me that Mitsubishi said, "Our enthusiasts are going to want to improve upon our product. Let's allow a little bit of room for them to play!"
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Give them room to play and when they do -- cancel the hell out of their warranty
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

^ haha thats so true!

i also dont know how you think that. the aftermarket is just so much bigger for the 4g63 compared to the EJ series. its not a fair comparison.

And look at the evo x. They are using the 4B11, and noone really knows how the aftermarket is going to be for that.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Give them room to play and when they do -- cancel the hell out of their warranty
Yes, that's very true, but look at the equipment that the STi/STI leaves the factory with. The stock turbo is good for what, maybe 350 whp, 375 whp if you're lucky? Then take a look at the fuel injectors. From the factory they are already working at 85% of their capacity, and we all know that maxxed out fuel injectors are NOT a good thing. That's only two examples.

With the STi, it appears that Subaru threw in just enough to get the job done.

Quick Reply: WHP Limit on STi Block