Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Supra VS C5 Z06..Choose

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra VS C5 Z06..Choose

Ok Ive owned the evo for 4 months now and I guess we just nerer clicked. I'm geting rid of it and I plan on geting one of these. I do not want to spend over 30k

Supra Pros
-Sick block to start off with
-Awsome highway car
-Alot of potential
-Holds its value well

Supra Cons
-Probally will be a 93/94/95
-High Mileage
-Will be hard to get financing for such a old car

Z06 Pros
-Block can take 500 whp and be somewhat reliable
-Looks exotic
-More of a mature car
-Somewhat fast stock
-Can trade my evo in for one at dealerships
-Prices are going down due to people selling them for C6

Z06 Cons
-High Insurance (Well I have a evo In NJ so they will probally stay the same)
-Higher compresion meaning less boost

What would you guys choose.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Supra all day long. Much sexier looking car. Big turbo spool + N20 on the freeway = makes the tip wet.

That and who the hell wants leaf springs on a performance car?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
My vote - Z06. Somewhat fast stock? With DRs I have seen 11s out of 2002+ (405hp) Z06s. They will run mid/high 12s stock.

My brother just put a brand new LS6 motor in his 1998 Z28 - 340 whp on a mustang dyno! (Mods: Long tube headers, y-pipe, free flow exhaust, SLP lid, K&N filter, custom tune). And he still has a LS1 intake on it. I have a LS6 intake in my gargage that will add another 10-15 whp.

With a good cam lots more power can be had.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

yeah hehe I guess z06 is fast. Anyways I'm so torn between the two. Another huge pro for the z06 is that its a 2002 and not 94/95 like a supra, much easier to get financed.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

You can't lose either way. It just depends on how much attention you want. I live in norcal and I see Corvettes at least a few times a day, so you can easily imagine C5 Z06 blending in. The Supras I see maybe, one or two a week, so they are a little more rare than a Corvette. Other than that both make crazy horsepower.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Supra...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Supra. Even the most dedicated of Corvette chronies can't defend GM's build quality
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

i love supras.....but c5 z06 hands down. v8 low end torque and pump gas power is unbeatable. sure the supra can be fast...but if u want good speed on pump gas u'll have turbo lag, and unless u want to run race gas all day u'll have to deal with this in the future..

what did u not like about the Evo? maybe that can make this choice a bit more relevant to ur needs.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

get the supra.....one because it is an "older" car it will be harder to get later on. Since the c5 z06 is newer, you shouldnt have a problem finding one of those a few years later when/if you get tired of the supra. this way you technically get a better chance of owning both cars in your lifetime.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie-GT
Supra...
my vote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

If you like to tune cars, I would say the Supra. There's so much stuff that you can do to it to make look unique. A Z06 is nice but to me it's still the same looking corvette no matter how to modify it.

But everyone has their own taste, Dababysevo is right. You can't loose with either one.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definately the Vette Z06, far superior in every subject in stock trim. A stock Supra is no faster than its natural competitors(300 zx, 3000GT VR4,C4 vette, RX7).

Supras are heavy and they are fast only when converted to single turbo kits. Their stock turbos aren't nothing special, their intercooler isn't very efective either and is not that big.

The Vette on the other hand is much much lighter, has more power and torque , is more aerodynamic, handles much much better in stock trim, outbrakes the Supra.

Supras are overpriced because of stupid ugly movies like the fast and the furious. Why is a Supra so expensive anyway?, because of the demand and low production numbers? BS, its not justifiable at all.

In my book a Supra TT should cost no more than $10-$15 used, you can buy cars that were as pricey as the Supra for a fraction.

Stop supporting the Supra ego!!! I am, not saying they are a bad
car though.

Carlos
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Definately the Vette Z06, far superior in every subject in stock trim. A stock Supra is no faster than its natural competitors(300 zx, 3000GT VR4,C4 vette, RX7).

Supras are heavy and they are fast only when converted to single turbo kits. Their stock turbos aren't nothing special, their intercooler isn't very efective either and is not that big.

The Vette on the other hand is much much lighter, has more power and torque , is more aerodynamic, handles much much better in stock trim, outbrakes the Supra.

Supras are overpriced because of stupid ugly movies like the fast and the furious. Why is a Supra so expensive anyway?, because of the demand and low production numbers? BS, its not justifiable at all.

In my book a Supra TT should cost no more than $10-$15 used, you can buy cars that were as pricey as the Supra for a fraction.

Stop supporting the Supra ego!!! I am, not saying they are a bad
car though.

Carlos
What he said. I had a C5 Z06 and I miss that car a lot. Even stock, it is faster than most anything on the road. They are easily supercharged &/or heads and cam... there are tons of mods available for this car and they aren't too expensive. Not sure how pricey it is to work on and mod a Supra.

The V8 roar is worth it alone!!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Corvettes are maintenance nightmares. If you think the evo is a pain due to this reason, you're stepping into a whole new world of fun with a C5. Just sharing some insight after spending a year working on them.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^I agree.. Honestly, why in the hell would I pay $20000-$25000 for a Supra that is 10-13 years old when you can buy equally fast more equipped cars for 1/3 rd, I have a 94 Stealth and is more equipped than a Supra and is as fast as the Supra in stock trim.

The vette Z06 has always been a race car and it represent a step up in performance. I have a friend that ran 10.9@128 with drag radials and a shot of NOS.
The image that everyone has of Supras is the Supra like WOTM Supra and all that. Yeah, they can be very fast but at a huge cost.

If you are planning on spending a lot of money in mods then yeah the Supra could be faster however the Vette still outbrakes the Supra and out handles the supra as well.

And never forget that Vettes can be TT , SC and also they have tons of N/A packages like the lingenfelter ones..

Carlos

Quick Reply: Supra VS C5 Z06..Choose