Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

anyone else test drove the mazda speed 3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedEvolution8
so i test drove one because im good with one of the dealers at the dealership.. and all i can say is wow with the POWER... that lil thing goes..
I drove one over the weekend. It's a snappy little machine, for sure. I was very impressed with it, but Mazda will not get my business on this one. It needs AWD. The MS3 is a good car, but not a great car. If it wants to be great, it's going to need AWD.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RWD would be even better though...
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly, the ECU restricts to power in 1st and 2nd gears so that it won't overwhelm the front tires. 3rd gear is when you get to fully feel the power.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
should probably be a good roll racer
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:36 PM

ur right tuffguy.. the full power/boost is in 3rd gear, and i love the fact that mazda did this, so you can actually have traction first n second..
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedEvolution8
ur right tuffguy.. the full power/boost is in 3rd gear, and i love the fact that mazda did this, so you can actually have traction first n second..
Heh, it happens sometimes...
Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Automobile dynoed one -- they weren't impressed. 216whp.

A dual-scroll turbocharger like the one in the Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP would help the Mazdaspeed 3 in increasing its usable rev range. As you can see in the comparison graph between the 3 and the Sky Red Line, peak numbers are similar, but the shapes of the torque curves tell two very different stories. GM's dual-scroll turbo builds boost much earlier, and has almost reached its torque peak by 2000 rpm. At that speed, the Saturn's 2.0-liter generates 210 lb-ft, compared to the larger Mazda engine's 128. Torque is similar throughout the midrange once the Mazda finally wakes up at 3000. By 6000, Mazda's engine is running out of breath, putting out 138 lb-ft while the smaller GM engine still manages 168.

Punch the accelerator at 3000 rpm in a Mazdaspeed 3 and you'll probably smile, too. But if you compare it to the more sophisticated engines of the other cars here, you may find it lacking the linearity and broad-range power delivery that set apart the merely powerful engines from the truly magnificent.
The Saturn Sky they dynoed put down almost 230rwhp with much better power delivery(the Cobalt will get this engine in '08). At $1300 cheaper, the Cobalt SS S/C might still be the best performance bang for the buck. I'd like to see both on the track...maybe Car and Driver will do a power lap in a Msazdaspeed3.

Last edited by E. Haskell; Nov 16, 2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Automobile dynoed one -- they weren't impressed. 216whp.

The Saturn Sky they dynoed put down almost 230rwhp with much better power delivery(the Cobalt will get this engine in '08). At $1300 cheaper, the Cobalt SS S/C might still be the best performance bang for the buck. I'd like to see both on the track...maybe Car and Driver will do a power lap in a Msazdaspeed3.
The MS3 only weighs around 2900 lbs, right? For the weight, 216 whp really isn't that bad.....