Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

300zx twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 300zx twin turbo

Anybody have experience with both? I have always loved the 300ZxTT. The body styling, the motor (just never the price, even years ago) Some old 1/4 stats put the comparison pretty close together, but I'm wondering about on a road course as well.

Seems like all the guys around here are M3, S2000 owners. Any Nissan guys?
Old May 20, 2003, 03:37 PM
SRD
Evolving Member

my buddy has a 300ZX TT
all I can say is... torque monster!

370ft-lb of torque and 335 rwhp
1st gear is essentially useless...haha

Anyways you might beat it off the line, but its going to blow by you...highway forget it...from a roll forget it.

These things are fast!
Old May 20, 2003, 03:42 PM

I've owned 3 Z's..90 n/a, 96 n/a, 91TT over the last 12 years. So I compare everything I drive to a Z.
On a road course in stock form head to head, I would imagine the EVO would dominate. They have about the same power to weight ratio when stock so thats a wash. The evo has a better suspension setup.The evo has much much much better brakes(ask anyone who's ever felt the "mushy" Z brakes.

1/4 mile would be pretty close when stock. The evo is obviously easier to launch. Best 60' I ever managed was 1.90 on street tires/1.73 on drag radials.

On the street stop light to stop light i'd give the evo the edge. On the highway the Z was a monster.

The Z IMO was very easy to modify. I put on a filter/cat back/ecu/and $3 dollar boost jets(welding tips) and went 12.6 at 113mph.

Having just driven an EVO 2 days ago. I'd give the evo the edge in handling, braking, and 1st gear I'll give the Z the edge when it comes to top end performance, interior, and looks. Plus if you have kids like I do the Z stops being a practical car. At least thats why my wife convinced me to sell the Z
Old May 20, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SRD
my buddy has a 300ZX TT
all I can say is... torque monster!

370ft-lb of torque and 335 rwhp
1st gear is essentially useless...haha

Anyways you might beat it off the line, but its going to blow by you...highway forget it...from a roll forget it.

These things are fast!
yup, 300+ hp is a dime a dozen for 300z TT's any more. a large group is hitting 500hp.
but stock vs stock...

good info monzter! i went and check a popular Z site for what they thought about the Evo and it was all bashing..pretty much what i expected.

I'm not sure why this thread was moved. It's about the EVO vs the 300zx TT. The cobra vs evo, M3 vs Evo, S2000 vs Evo, STI vs EVO wasn't moved

Last edited by mayhem; May 20, 2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

my mate owns a VG30DETT 300.. quite nice having it sideways in 3rd 2 seater, mines computer, twin garret aftermarket turbos, twin hks type 1 bovs
Old Jul 18, 2003, 04:52 PM

Re: 300zx twin turbo

Originally posted by mayhem

Seems like all the guys around here are M3, S2000 owners. Any Nissan guys? [/B]
Hrm... i thought all the "guys" around here would've been Lancer owners... hehe... i dont feel like such an outcast anymore . I own a 94 Toyota Supra TT, and my ex used to own a 300ZX... but too bad he blew his car up. *sigh*... i swear... most guys dont knoe anything... LoL... j/p guys!

- [SupraSaiyan]
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:01 PM

I could of bought a 93 300zx TT for $8000!!! but by the time i got the loan the dude already sold it >,< all i know is that car is FAST!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

I beat one at E-town
Old Jul 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

there was this old retired nurse we knew at my church, was a good friend of the family's. anywho, she came over to a family lunch one sunday, and drove her TRICKED OUT 300zx. the lady was late 50's, at least, but loved fast cars. go figure. anyhow, after just getting a lot of work done (new turbo's, exhuast, sweet paint-job, rims...), she asked my brother and i if we wanted to take it around town for a quick spin...

fastest. freaking. car. ever. driven.

OMG that car F L E W! on a straight-away road in gainesville, speed limit around 40, i was going over 100 AND IT STILL PULLED!

if you ever have a chance to drive one of these, DO IT!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:16 AM

Re: 300zx twin turbo

Originally posted by mayhem
Anybody have experience with both? I have always loved the 300ZxTT. The body styling, the motor (just never the price, even years ago) Some old 1/4 stats put the comparison pretty close together, but I'm wondering about on a road course as well.

Seems like all the guys around here are M3, S2000 owners. Any Nissan guys?
I don't know why people with STI or EVO buy cars just for straight-line performance comparisons.

You will be deeply dissappointed that a modded 300zx TT will beat both STI & EVO on the straight and pull greater distances once you hit 100mph+

AWD cars are not built for highspeed racing, the 300zx TT will just keep pulling and pulling away.

Just like a stock Skyline GTR is no big deal but once you mod it, it's a monster.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

If you want to go fast in a straight line...don't waste your time with imports...Buy a LS1 Camaro and you'll run 11's for under 15 grand. Or buy a 300ZX and get an clumsy looking 8 year old car. Or buy an evolution and get a rocketship with 4 doors that you can drive all year around!

"Buy" the way... You can make anything fast for enough money... No. 1 reason I decided against buying a 1995 Supra with 30k miles for 28 grand...is because... I'm not stupid!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

also... I don't want to insult anyone... Supra is an awesome car. Just not awesome enough considering I could by a LS1 powered corvette for less money!

My final decision on car purchase came down to a 02 Z06 with 4k miles or a brand new evolution. Insurance was too much on a z06 being 20, so I bought the evo...