Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Serious? I just drove my dad's 1989 GTA literally 2 hours ago, and it's softer than my 2005 STi! The STi is softer than an Evo.
with the ws-6?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I was on my way home one day. This rich dude with his designer sun glasses on. I was chillin, drivin, minding my own. This guys downshifted next to me. As his slow *** Camen contemplated on if it was gonna move or not, I dropped the evo down to 3rd and walk on that **** like he was standing still!
Looked nice in the rear view mirrior! This thing over an evo? I dont care how good the traction control and the brakes are, your not getting around an evo in that thing. And plus this is a chicks car!

911 or GT2 and your the man!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

^or 996/7 tt or 997 gt3....the 997 gt3 looks AMAZING in person...such a beautiful car...
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
I was on my way home one day. This rich dude with his designer sun glasses on. I was chillin, drivin, minding my own. This guys downshifted next to me. As his slow *** Camen contemplated on if it was gonna move or not, I dropped the evo down to 3rd and walk on that **** like he was standing still!
Looked nice in the rear view mirrior! This thing over an evo? I dont care how good the traction control and the brakes are, your not getting around an evo in that thing. And plus this is a chicks car!

911 or GT2 and your the man!
Say what you want but the Cayman is one fine car. The Cayman S is much faster although not as quick as the EVO. The Cayman is not a chicks car. It's a blasted race car. I also bet you that in a track with a skilled driver, I would not be surprised if the base Cayman would not stay with an EVO quite easily. I'd bet on the Cayman S in a race track against an EVO. Except for drag racing, the Porsche is definitely a contender. BTW, the 911 or GT2 are not as good handling as the Cayman. The mid engine configuration is far superior to the rear engine design and it's also way superior to the FWD layout of the EVO.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azredevo
the ride in a cayman is HARSHER than an evo?!?!?!?! the only ride i've ever driven that's harsher than my evo, is my 1988 GTA Trans am with ws-6 suspension!
Yes it is. I could not believe it and I wish it wasn't so... OTOH, my EVO is an MR which has a much better ride than the GSR. The Porsche has a stiff ride even with 205/55-17 tires. I could definitely tell that I would not be happy with the Cayman as an everyday driver. That's one of the reasons I postponed my decision.

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
^or 996/7 tt or 997 gt3....the 997 gt3 looks AMAZING in person...such a beautiful car...
Yes they are beautiful, but check out the price tags........

Last edited by silverEVO8; Dec 31, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Its all good. I am a car finatic and love them all!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azredevo
with the ws-6?
Yes. All GTAs had the WS-6 suspension package.

I believe he does need new rear shocks, as they just crash. The bushings were also just replaced with polyurethanes, so that may be part of it, but it just seemed as if the shocks in the rear were shot.

I've driven Evo VIIIs and IXs and while both standard models were pretty harsh, the MR was a nice happy medium.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
The mid engine configuration is far superior to the rear engine design and it's also way superior to the FWD layout of the EVO.
Uhhh...you do know that FWD stands for front-wheel drive. If I'm not mistaken the Evo isn't.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yes. All GTAs had the WS-6 suspension package.

I believe he does need new rear shocks, as they just crash. The bushings were also just replaced with polyurethanes, so that may be part of it, but it just seemed as if the shocks in the rear were shot.
Wow, that's gotta one rough riding car.... Probably a stellar suspension for track performance, but for everyday driving I'd rather have something more compatible with city streets and suburban roads....

I've driven Evo VIIIs and IXs and while both standard models were pretty harsh, the MR was a nice happy medium.
To be honest, I have not ridden in an EVO VIII or IX lately. Since my late lamented EVO VIII that died at the hands of various and quasi-tuners/shoemakers, I've only driven my MR. Perhaps I need a reality check....

Originally Posted by Roldy
Uhhh...you do know that FWD stands for front-wheel drive. If I'm not mistaken the Evo isn't.
The EVO is an AWD car. However, the engine and drive configuration is a FWD with the extra bits added to drive the rear wheels....

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 1, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

89 eh? that was the v6 turbo year if im not mistaken. pretty much pwned all trans ams through the late ninetys...
Old Jan 1, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I suggest you test drive a Z4M Coupe... I made the switch from the EVO to one.

It has awesome NA power (very linear.. all the way up to 8000rpm!), and the car is perfectly balanced 50/50. It also have the CSL brakes and has an incredible chassis.

The Z4m is more a track car than the cayman S and a much better value, not too mention it looks awesome (your wife will thank you).

Personally I look at the cayman and just see a boxster with a hardtop plastered on it, but that's my opinion.

And no LSD for 65-70k? give me a break,... this car was intentionally downgraded to not supercede the 911's performance.

Steve
Old Jan 1, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
cayman is great but I wouldn't get rid of an evo for one...a 911 or gt3 and thats a different story...
+1, cayman are slow too many people driving them around in VA and watched as many got owned by other cars.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steve_evo
I suggest you test drive a Z4M Coupe... I made the switch from the EVO to one.

It has awesome NA power (very linear.. all the way up to 8000rpm!), and the car is perfectly balanced 50/50. It also have the CSL brakes and has an incredible chassis.

The Z4m is more a track car than the cayman S and a much better value, not too mention it looks awesome (your wife will thank you).

Personally I look at the cayman and just see a boxster with a hardtop plastered on it, but that's my opinion.

And no LSD for 65-70k? give me a break,... this car was intentionally downgraded to not supercede the 911's performance.

Steve
Actually, my son told me to look at the Z4 M when I told him I was test driving the Cayman. The Z4 M looks great on paper and I saw it at the dealer. It's a very nice looking car (although I think the Cayman is better looking). Anyway, I got this URL from a friend about a comparo of the Cayman S and Z4 M. It's got some surprising data: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117041
Anyway, one of the most alarming comments was about how much more comfortable and liveable with was the Cayman.. ?!?! If the Cayman S is comfy compared with the BMW, the beemer must be excruciatingly uncomfortable

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 1, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NikkaLB23
+1, cayman are slow too many people driving them around in VA and watched as many got owned by other cars.
That's only one part of the decision... If you drive any number of classic cars, you're not going to win every stop light drag race . A Porsche "looks" fast just sitting there. Also, I doubt that many cars will "own" even the base Cayman in a track or in the twisties with equally skilled drivers.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
I almost traded my EVO in on a '07 Cayman today. I went to the Porsche dealer and they let me drive a base model Cayman home to show it to my wife. No doubt about it, the car is absolutely beautiful. When the salesman drove it, he pushed it hard in the rain slicked streets and swerved it under power, etc. The car never lost it's composture. The brakes are incredibly good and the traction control works perfectly. You don't even know it's there, the car just holds the road with more tenacity than my AWD EVO.

The sound of the exhaust and the engine from the rear is absolutely wonderful. It's really a neat car. The down side is that the Cayman's ride is harsher than the EVO's and the power output is disappointingly low. I hate to say it, but it feels positively anemic compared to the EVO. Of course, practically every other car I've test driven feels weak compared to my EVO.... The cost is also an issue. At $52K msrp, the drive out cost was over $31K plus my EVO in trade. I decided not to do it. Perhaps next week I'll test drive a Cayman S demo, which the sales manager claimed he could give me a great deal on. Of course, their idea of a great deal and mine are probably gonna be several thousand dollars apart....Still, it's tempting... Oh yeah, the 20K service interval is kind of nice too. BTW, my wife liked the Cayman waaaay more than the EVO (surprise, surprise)
The ONE thing I really dislike about Porsches (I might even dub this Porsches' Achilles' Hill) is that parctically ALL OF THEIR CARS (apart from Cayenne of course, which coincidently is butt ugly IMO) look so damn identical...I mean, come on....if I wanted to dish out 50k+ on a car, I would want them to be differentiated from other models at least...I was also never really a big fan of Porsche designing, but to each his own

Hope you end up making a right choice in the end

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........