Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Wow, that's gotta one rough riding car.... Probably a stellar suspension for track performance, but for everyday driving I'd rather have something more compatible with city streets and suburban roads....

To be honest, I have not ridden in an EVO VIII or IX lately. Since my late lamented EVO VIII that died at the hands of various and quasi-tuners/shoemakers, I've only driven my MR. Perhaps I need a reality check....

The EVO is an AWD car. However, the engine and drive configuration is a FWD with the extra bits added to drive the rear wheels....
Actually, the car handles like sh*t. He also just had the steering rack/column rebuilt, because the steering wheel almost literally fell off! It was really loose, and would move side to side like there was next to nothing holding it on!

The steering has always been somewhat sloppy-loose, and that could be due to the steering rack/column "going bad," but who knows? Now that it's been rebuilt, the steering is obviously tighter, and actually has pretty good feel, but it is still very numb on center. The wheel has to be turned about 3-4 inches in either direction before the front tires even begin to respond, which seems to be typical of GM cars.

I just find the car to feel unstable, even with the rebuild steering rack/column. The rear seems very stiff as if the shocks are just shot, and the front seems to feel like it's almost floating. If this is common of the 3rd Generation WS-6 cars, they truly are sh*t. I've driven many an IROC-Z and the handling is pretty good....0.92g on the skidpad, to be honest.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

it's nice doing 180's at 60 miles an hour w/o worrying about losing control or flipping tho! i agree, gta's handle like crap, and are totally squirly. ours is really torquey though, and it'd be even more if it came with a manual. steering sucks too... so much play, you think the wheel isn't connected.to sum up.... i like my evo and a porsche cayman, while almost as ugly as the evo/sti, and slower would def. be an interesting car to own.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azredevo
it's nice doing 180's at 60 miles an hour w/o worrying about losing control or flipping tho! i agree, gta's handle like crap, and are totally squirly. ours is really torquey though, and it'd be even more if it came with a manual. steering sucks too... so much play, you think the wheel isn't connected.to sum up.... i like my evo and a porsche cayman, while almost as ugly as the evo/sti, and slower would def. be an interesting car to own.
It sucks that an L98 couldn't be had with the 5spd due to the weakness of the 5spd. Only the 305ci could be had.

GTAs are pretty good for doing burnouts and accelerating up to about 45 mph, but that's about it. When my brother owned the GTA, which my dad later took over after my brother got his wife pregnant, we took my Camaro and the GTA to the track and ran'em. At the time, my Camaro only had an exhaust and intake on it. We were side by side up to about 45 mph, then it was as if he just slammed on his brakes.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Say what you want but the Cayman is one fine car. The Cayman S is much faster although not as quick as the EVO. The Cayman is not a chicks car. It's a blasted race car. I also bet you that in a track with a skilled driver, I would not be surprised if the base Cayman would not stay with an EVO quite easily. I'd bet on the Cayman S in a race track against an EVO. Except for drag racing, the Porsche is definitely a contender. BTW, the 911 or GT2 are not as good handling as the Cayman. The mid engine configuration is far superior to the rear engine design and it's also way superior to the FWD layout of the EVO.
One of the car magizines did a comparision a while back, Cayman vs an Evo MR and if I remember correctly they were very close but in the end I think they gave the nood to the Cayman but noted the price difference between the two.

I have driven the Cayman S and many 911's as one of my best friends is a part owner in a Multi - brand dealerdhip - Porsche, Audi, MB, BMW and Honda. I get to drive whatever whenever I want. I know I'm a lucky guy .

I liked the Cayman s but I took a 911s out right after that and well to me there is no comparision. Big difference in price between the two though.

I think there are better choices out there for 60-70k! The Cayman would fine if you plan on keeping it stock and your in love with the looks, handling performance and of course the brand then buy one. Any thoughts of mods and I would not buy one. Porsches are not easy to mod and if you do they are VERY EXPENSIVE.

For me though I would buy a 50k C6 Corvette with a 100k warranty and throw a few bolt on mods and the Cayman would not even be close on the strip or the track. . In fact it couldn't keep up with the stock C6. I have driven both and also the Vette drives way better DD. But then some people don't like Vettes cause there American made.

Oh well just my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I can't remember the magazine, but the dealership where I bought my Evo had the article posted. The Cayman S beats the Evo around their track by a few tenths of a second.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well..... I looked at the 335i. Look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...94#post3816694
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

You can get a Ferrari 348 or Testarossa for the same price... Maybe you should test drive a couple of those .

Anyway new 335i ftw, my best friends girl just got one and i am in love with the thing; not to mention how it will look when she gets those HRE's on there...

Last edited by KOEvo; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

For the difference in price you could spend that amount on your evo and smoke a 911 turbo and GT3..... I just kicked the crap out of two Ferrari's yesturday. A spyder and a coupe. They were both 360's. After I whooped the coupes *** the driver wouldn't even look at me..... his girlfriend did though!
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Here's my $0.02:

Looks - This is subjective, but I think the Cayman S looks great. If you like the Porsche design, then all the cars will be appealing, if not, well...

Performance - While it may not have the straight line pull or acceleration like an Evo I have heard and read nothing but great things when it comes to handling, despite its lack of a rear LSD.

Desirability/Recognition - Its a freaking Porsche. Maybe its just me (and that I don't have anything to prove) but I don't care if someone with a supercharged Ford Focus could beat me in straight line, or even in the curves. To be able to step in and out of that thing, to see that gorgeous badge on the hood, to know the heritage and quality of engineering underneath... All of that matters much more to me.

On another note, I saw you were also looking at the BMW. Another great car, though quite different from the Cayman S. Are you just looking for a sports car, and if so have you driven an Elise or Corvette yet?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T67Evo
For the difference in price you could spend that amount on your evo and smoke a 911 turbo and GT3..... I just kicked the crap out of two Ferrari's yesturday. A spyder and a coupe. They were both 360's. After I whooped the coupes *** the driver wouldn't even look at me..... his girlfriend did though!
Hell I could sell my EVO and spend $5K in my Miata, blow the doors off your modded EVO and keep $18~20K in my pocket. I'm not interested in some riced out, modded to hell, undriveable piece of $hit. I already did that with my first EVO VIII and I'm not interested in those shennanigans.

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 3, 2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
Here's my $0.02:

Looks - This is subjective, but I think the Cayman S looks great. If you like the Porsche design, then all the cars will be appealing, if not, well...

Performance - While it may not have the straight line pull or acceleration like an Evo I have heard and read nothing but great things when it comes to handling, despite its lack of a rear LSD.

Desirability/Recognition - Its a freaking Porsche. Maybe its just me (and that I don't have anything to prove) but I don't care if someone with a supercharged Ford Focus could beat me in straight line, or even in the curves. To be able to step in and out of that thing, to see that gorgeous badge on the hood, to know the heritage and quality of engineering underneath... All of that matters much more to me.

On another note, I saw you were also looking at the BMW. Another great car, though quite different from the Cayman S. Are you just looking for a sports car, and if so have you driven an Elise or Corvette yet?
I was not thinking about the Cayman at all until I saw an ad in the paper about discounts on them. The Porsche is one of those things that most people like me only dream about... I almost bought it because it was actually affordable (although still quite expensive). I decided in the end that as much as I like the idea of the Cayman, it's just not a practical car at all... It's beautiful and performs greatly, but I pictured myself driving it every day to work, etc. And I had to admit that it was a silly idea.

In Las vegas I've driven the new Vette and it was a lot of fun. I'd consider one of those for sure. Specially the Z06 if I could afford it.

I have not driven the Elise. I think it would be great fun to do so, but I have gotten in and out of them a few times and I'm afraid that i could not live with that hassle. Frankly, it's all I can do to get in and out once.... I've also heard from the drivers that it's very much a rough riding race car with street equipment and they are quite fragile. Several people have broken them by driving over potholes or rough patches of road. It would not survive very long in my daily commute.....

The thinking to trade my EVO started after I had shoulder surgery because I could not shift gears. I looked very hard at the Audi A3 with DSG but I just could not bring myself to trade the EVO in on one of those.... Don't get me wrong, they are neat cars, but it's just too much of a downgrade...

The BMW 335i appears to be a very worthy replacement for the EVO MR. So far it's the best of the cars I've test driven as an overall package of sporty performance, good ride, great handling and good value for the money..... I'm very inclined to check out what kind of deal they'll make me on the car.....

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 2, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Base Cayman is junk just like 924 was when they made it for people that wanted a Porsche nametag but couldn't afford the real thing.
For the price of the Cayman S, I'd try and find a used 993 turbo or just save up a bit more and get a new Z06 or a Lotus Exige and do a Honda K20 swap into it.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
Base Cayman is junk just like 924 was when they made it for people that wanted a Porsche nametag but couldn't afford the real thing.
For the price of the Cayman S, I'd try and find a used 993 turbo or just save up a bit more and get a new Z06 or a Lotus Exige and do a Honda K20 swap into it.
That's a fairly ridiculous statement. The Cayman is priced between the Boxter and the 911. To call it "junk" is pretty baseless. Like the 914, the 924 was intended to be a flagship sports car for VW, but were marketed as Porsche in the USA and the world.

From Wikipedia:
The Porsche 924 was an automobile produced by Porsche AG of Germany from 1976 to 1988. A two-door, 2+2 coupé, the 924 replaced the 914 as the company's entry-level model, and was the model that finally retired the 912. It was the first Porsche model powered by a water-cooled, front-mounted engine928 was designed before the 924. The front-engine, rear wheel drive arrangement was normal for most other manufacturers, but it was unusual for Porsche, who had previously only used mid or rear-mounted engines of a boxer configuration, all of which had been air-cooled. to make production, although the similarly-configured
The 924 was a success, and not only helped to take Porsche out of financial ruin, but created the revenue stream needed to continue building and developing the 911. The 924 was replaced by the 944 in 1982 in the US market, but continued to be produced until 1985 in the Rest of World market.

Those cars were definitely not junk and were quite successful in their own right. The 928 which came later was and still is a sought after car. Actually, a decent shape 924 will bring a lot more today than it was originally price at.

Anyway, the Cayman and Boxter were designed from the start as Porsche cars and fill a specific niche in the marque's line up. Think about it, Porsche only has 4 models of vehicles one of which is an SUV.....
Old Jan 2, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are crazy, I take a Cayman over any EVO anyday. It's a different class, Evo is too childish compare to cayman. I just wish I have the bank account to get one.

When you talking about performance wise, EVO wins over a lot of cars so thats not really an excuse. A Porsche is a porsche, some of you might lable cayman as "Poor" man's Porsche but still looks better than any Evo out there.

Just my 2cent, flame on~
Old Jan 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hell I could sell my EVO and spend $5K in my Miata, blow the doors off your modded EVO and keep $18~20K in my pocket. I'm not interested in some riced out, modded to hell, undriveable piece of $hit. I already did that with my first EVO VIII and I'm not interested in those shennanigans.
You couldn't say it any better!

It's okay, we were all kid once.
Just glad I grew out of it

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........