Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
I was not thinking about the Cayman at all until I saw an ad in the paper about discounts on them. The Porsche is one of those things that most people like me only dream about... I almost bought it because it was actually affordable (although still quite expensive). I decided in the end that as much as I like the idea of the Cayman, it's just not a practical car at all... It's beautiful and performs greatly, but I pictured myself driving it every day to work, etc. And I had to admit that it was a silly idea.

In Las vegas I've driven the new Vette and it was a lot of fun. I'd consider one of those for sure. Specially the Z06 if I could afford it.

I have not driven the Elise. I think it would be great fun to do so, but I have gotten in and out of them a few times and I'm afraid that i could not live with that hassle. Frankly, it's all I can do to get in and out once.... I've also heard from the drivers that it's very much a rough riding race car with street equipment and they are quite fragile. Several people have broken them by driving over potholes or rough patches of road. It would not survive very long in my daily commute.....

The thinking to trade my EVO started after I had shoulder surgery because I could not shift gears. I looked very hard at the Audi A3 with DSG but I just could not bring myself to trade the EVO in on one of those.... Don't get me wrong, they are neat cars, but it's just too much of a downgrade...

The BMW 335i appears to be a very worthy replacement for the EVO MR. So far it's the best of the cars I've test driven as an overall package of sporty performance, good ride, great handling and good value for the money..... I'm very inclined to check out what kind of deal they'll make me on the car.....
With your shoulder problem I'd go with the 335i it is a good all around car does everything well.

Get what you like.

Good luck
Old Jan 2, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if you're the patient sort you could wait until the Evo X comes out. Won't have to worry about shifting (DSG) and it should obviously have more power and refinement than the current model. Either way, it sounds like you've got great taste in cars. I'm sure whatever you end up getting will be sweet, just don't strap yourself down too badly with payments.

Old Jan 2, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by purecoda
Well, if you're the patient sort you could wait until the Evo X comes out. Won't have to worry about shifting (DSG) and it should obviously have more power and refinement than the current model. Either way, it sounds like you've got great taste in cars. I'm sure whatever you end up getting will be sweet, just don't strap yourself down too badly with payments.

You know, waiting for the EVO X was definitely one of my strategies. Specially since it's coming out with the DSG. I think it's likely to be a fantastic car
The thing that's driving my desire to trade is that I'm getting tired of the EVOs image and my wife hates the thing. Also, I find it easy to miss shifts. OTOH, the EVO is one hard car to replace. Hardly anything comes up to the performance level of the car for anything near it's price.
I'm not too concerned about the payments because thank goodness my EVO is paid for and I can get the balance by moving some money around. The problem is that once I spend that money on another car, I got to give up on something else I might want
Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Go for the Cayman, you won't be looking back the 335i once you got it.

but there is a 10K price difference between the two cars tho.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AzBlackEvo8
Go for the Cayman, you won't be looking back the 335i once you got it.

but there is a 10K price difference between the two cars tho.
You are right, $10K is about right and it's a big heap of change... The Cayman is sweet, but the 335i has a lot going for it. Very different cars, but amazingly similar in that they are stellar performers.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

My mom owns a Cayman S and since she doesn't know a whole lot about performance cars she let me break it in for her. Since the break-in I've put about
4k miles on it and have been to the track twice. I must say it’s the easiest, most confidence inspiring rwd car I have ever driven in my life. It's so neutral, and fun on the track that it makes me hate my S2k. So much in fact that I've decided to sell it.

Great car, but even in S trim the power does leave a lot to be desired. If I had a choice between my evo or the cayman, I would honestly keep the evo.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Man speed isnt Everything, i rather have the class, build, and looks from the Caymen anyday compared to an EVO or STI. You don't hear people saying when i grow up i want a Mitsubishi or Subaru, its the heritage of porsche that makes it worthwhile.

Porsche over Mitsubishi/Subaru anyday
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Cayman is an awesome car, go for it if you like it.

Who cares if you could mod an Evo and make it way faster than anything? You can do that to a 10 year old caravan and make it run 10s
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ You are so right. This guy bought and $800 van and by the time he'd spent $4288 including the price of the van, he was running mid 12's and beating the crap out of prepped V8's http://www.turbovan.net/modifications.html

Here is the home page: http://www.turbovan.net/van.html I'd bet that at least 90% of all the EVOs out there would be soundly thrashed and totally owned by that old van. I guess if we go by those standards, we'd best sell the EVOs, buy old caravans, modify them and keep $20K+ in our pockets. That would make the EVO inferior to the caravan.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Hell I could sell my EVO and spend $5K in my Miata, blow the doors off your modded EVO and keep $18~20K in my pocket. I'm not interested in some riced out, modded to hell, undriveable piece of $hit. I already did that with my first EVO VIII and I'm not interested in those shennanigans.

Oh yeah by looking at your signature, I would bet yor car runs like pure crap. All those mods you list and you are still waiting for a re-flash? Better call Al and get one of his "el cheapo" mail order reflashes. Then your car will be complete
I'm still wondering why you completely flew off the handle and snapped on this guy?

He wasn't rude, and he didn't take any personal shots at you. Much more then you can say...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
I'm still wondering why you completely flew off the handle and snapped on this guy?

He wasn't rude, and he didn't take any personal shots at you. Much more then you can say...
My bad, I just get so tired of hearing the old "take the difference mod your EVO and rule the world" particularly since the writer is apparently not in posession of very accurate information. I apologize to you and to him. I should not transfer my anger at the perpetrators to my EVOs botched up mods to people who are enthusiastic about modifying their EVOs.... I removed the offensive words from my original post.

Peace

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 3, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:51 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

That's a fairly ridiculous statement. The Cayman is priced between the Boxter and the 911. To call it "junk" is pretty baseless. Like the 914, the 924 was intended to be a flagship sports car for VW, but were marketed as Porsche in the USA and the world.
And as stated before Boxter is a girl's car

From Wikipedia:
The Porsche 924 was an automobile produced by Porsche AG of Germany from 1976 to 1988. A two-door, 2+2 coupé, the 924 replaced the 914 as the company's entry-level model, and was the model that finally retired the 912. It was the first Porsche model powered by a water-cooled, front-mounted engine928 was designed before the 924. The front-engine, rear wheel drive arrangement was normal for most other manufacturers, but it was unusual for Porsche, who had previously only used mid or rear-mounted engines of a boxer configuration, all of which had been air-cooled. to make production, although the similarly-configured
The 924 was a success, and not only helped to take Porsche out of financial ruin, but created the revenue stream needed to continue building and developing the 911. The 924 was replaced by the 944 in 1982 in the US market, but continued to be produced until 1985 in the Rest of World market.

Those cars were definitely not junk and were quite successful in their own right. The 928 which came later was and still is a sought after car. Actually, a decent shape 924 will bring a lot more today than it was originally price at.

Anyway, the Cayman and Boxter were designed from the start as Porsche cars and fill a specific niche in the marque's line up. Think about it, Porsche only has 4 models of vehicles one of which is an SUV.....
Have you ever seen a 924? It looked like a POS, you could almost not tell it's a Porsche. It was cheap and no wonder it took them out of the ditch since now people that couldn't afford a Porsche could buy one. I guess, same strategy with base Cayman and the SUV. They needed more bread and butter. And any true Porsche enthusiast (at least that I know of) will not even look twice at 928s. That's why you can get them for cheap, and 911s still hold their value. In fact, many Porsche guys don't even like the water cooled cars because they're not "true" Porsches and are somewhat numb compared to the old ones.

It seems to me that what you're really looking for is a badge, something what most uneducated people will envy you for and in that case yes, Porsche > BMW. You should get one, don't take the 335 which is probably 10x better car.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
And as stated before Boxter is a girl's car
Yeah right, like the Harley Davidson Sportster is a girls bike and the Miata, S2000 and any other roadster is a girls car

Originally Posted by SoR
Have you ever seen a 924? It looked like a POS, you could almost not tell it's a Porsche. It was cheap and no wonder it took them out of the ditch since now people that couldn't afford a Porsche could buy one. I guess, same strategy with base Cayman and the SUV. They needed more bread and butter. And any true Porsche enthusiast (at least that I know of) will not even look twice at 928s. That's why you can get them for cheap, and 911s still hold their value. In fact, many Porsche guys don't even like the water cooled cars because they're not "true" Porsches and are somewhat numb compared to the old ones..
You are comparing cars made 30 years ago with todays' Porsches. That's ridiculous. If you do that you have to compare them against other cars made in those days. Back then all the sports cars were made very much alike and if you put them beside a modern car they would look cheap, specially if you put an old, worn out car next to a new one. If you looked at them side by side with the 911s of the day, they did not look particularly cheap and they performed quite well.

Originally Posted by SoR
It seems to me that what you're really looking for is a badge, something what most uneducated people will envy you for and in that case yes, Porsche > BMW. You should get one, don't take the 335 which is probably 10x better car.
It seems to me that you are making assumptions about my likes and dislikes based on your own biases and fears. I'm not concerned about what you or others like you think about any car that I might or might not buy. You have no idea at all about what my criteria for aesthetic or performance standards really is. As a matter of fact I'm very seriously considering the 335i after test driving one. At any rate, those are totally different cars and cannot really be compared. And BTW, my mother in law had a 924 which she bought new and kept it garaged. She just gave it to my brother in law and I promise you that it's a very nice car, not cheap looking or junky at all. It looks great with less than 30K miles in the odometer....
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:23 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

And BTW, my mother in law had a 924 which she bought new and kept it garaged. She just gave it to my brother in law and I promise you that it's a very nice car, not cheap looking or junky at all. It looks great with less than 30K miles in the odometer....
Aaah, now I understand. I forgive you
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^^^ ^

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........