Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, the Cayman and 928 bashing is off base.

They're both great sports cars and if you'd EVER DRIVEN either of them, you'd know that. Even the Boxster is a fantastic car (though underpowered).

So, I guess I'm not sure where the anger is coming from. Any Porsche owner who looks down on the newer models simply because they don't use the old technology is an idiot. If Porsche didn't continue innovating then they wouldn't be where they are today.

So, it looks from my perspective like a class issue. The Cayman isn't expensive enough and the 928 isn't sought after enough so they must suck. This is what I see when I read posts based on nothing bashing the Cayman, "I can't afford any kind of Porsche so I'm going to bash the cheap ones."

Go out and drive a Cayman S and then tell me what a POS it is or how much better your Evo is. I love my Evo. It's a great car, but it's not a Porsche and maybe it's hard to understand that until you get behind the wheel of one.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about an M3?

the z4 is pretty much a new m3... same motor and tranny..

i personally would get the z4m that motor is amaaaazing... makes the 4g63 sound an feel like a toy that it is
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
doubt that many cars will "own" even
what going towards work and this cayman thought he was all cool and going like 65ish in a 45 cutting people off and driving like a ***. then came a viper, and he wanted to go.

...the cayman was a ***** and wouldn't go so I followed just to watch...ended up the cayman ran the light to escape from going when it turned green. That isn't the first time I've seen a cayman driver run away like a *****.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
what about an M3?

i personally would get the z4m that motor is amaaaazing... makes the 4g63 sound an feel like a toy that it is
BLASPHEMY!!!! KILLEM! HANGEM HIGH! BANNEM! ARGH!!!!!!!!!! j/k. the m5, chevy's ls-6, most any car with nissan's 3.5 engine, any ferrari produces a better, smoother, sexier sensation than my evo, but i'd rather have the evo than any one of them (less ferrari's f430)
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

but in my opinion evo and s2k are best for the money....

yes i know the s2k isn't super powerful.. but its small light and has rwd which on a track is a great combo

cheers!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:41 PM

s2Ks are the only thing that I would drive from Honda. The are fun, friend test drove one once and came back wanting the car sooo badly.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NikkaLB23
what going towards work and this cayman thought he was all cool and going like 65ish in a 45 cutting people off and driving like a ***. then came a viper, and he wanted to go.....
You mean driving like an EVO driver, don't you? And where do you see Caymans, Vipers and EVOs racing in the streets. I'm curious, I don't see that many cars like that. Specially at the same time.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
what about an M3?

I test drove an M3 with the SMG. Some guy had traded it on an EVO Anyway, I did not like the M3 too much. That tranny is hard to get used to. The car was very harsh riding and I think the EVO is faster although the M3 feels brutally fast... The new Z4 M looks good on paper but got thrashed in a comparo with the Cayman S on several Automotive reviews. The engine appears to be magnificent though.. Inline 6 with 6 throttles.. over 330 hp and lots of torque.... I saw one at the dealer and it looks pretty good too... However, the 335i is definitely a very nice car, In my opinion it beats the EVO in practically every aspect. I'd bet that with a XEDE it will own the EVO in the 1/4 mile.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:52 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay... As someone who actually owns both an Evo and a Porsche... I can definitely say that they totally different machines. Before I go on I must mention that I got the Boxster because I *love* roadsters (I've owned the MGF VVC, Mazda Eunos 1.8iS, Audi TT 225 (modded to almost 300BHP), and Lotus Elise before I got the Porsche). So any comments about a "girly" car I will ignore - especially as the Boxster is every bit as dynamic as a Cayman (the Cayman IS a Boxster - in coupe flavor). Also, the reason I avoided the 911 is because of the balance - a rear-engined (with weight beyond the rear wheels) sports car is absolutely not ideal, and they are very tail snappy and act like pendulums. I preferred the balance of the Boxster - despite the lack of an LSD it has amazing handling as anyone (who has driven one hard) will attest. My friend owns a 996 and a 993, but prefers the handling of the Boxster (he just prefers the looks of the 911 and doesn't own them for the driving experience - just the owning experience!).

Getting in and out of a Porsche definitely feels nicer than getting in and out of an Evo, and the build, fit and finish is far nicer. The badge is pretty nice too However, anyone who says the Evo doesn't handle well compared to the Porsche doesn't know how to drive the car. Period. Watch a few videos of some professional drivers in an Evo and the comments they make and you'll see that the Evo is highly precise and very nimble. I have taken several advanced (race) driving classes and know how to handle both the Porsche and the Evo, and they are both awesome, confidence inspiring vehicles - just with their own personalities. Considering the different drivelines (RWD vs AWD), and engine layouts (Mid vs Front), and the different weight balances, and total gross vehicle weight, it's no wonder they handle completely differently.

I couldn't really choose between them, and the main reason I got the Evo was (a) fun, (b) performance, and (c) practicality (the Porsche ain't no where near practical - and we now have a baby on the way!).

I hope no-one takes offence to anything in this post - it's just my own personal view (from my experience of owning both marques at the same time) and I apologize if anyone does take offence!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Red face

Originally Posted by Rom
Okay... As someone who actually owns both an Evo and a Porsche... I can definitely say that they totally different machines. Before I go on I must mention that I got the Boxster because I *love* roadsters (I've owned the MGF VVC, Mazda Eunos 1.8iS, Audi TT 225 (modded to almost 300BHP), and Lotus Elise before I got the Porsche). So any comments about a "girly" car I will ignore - especially as the Boxster is every bit as dynamic as a Cayman (the Cayman IS a Boxster - in coupe flavor). Also, the reason I avoided the 911 is because of the balance - a rear-engined (with weight beyond the rear wheels) sports car is absolutely not ideal, and they are very tail snappy and act like pendulums. I preferred the balance of the Boxster - despite the lack of an LSD it has amazing handling as anyone (who has driven one hard) will attest. My friend owns a 996 and a 993, but prefers the handling of the Boxster (he just prefers the looks of the 911 and doesn't own them for the driving experience - just the owning experience!).

Getting in and out of a Porsche definitely feels nicer than getting in and out of an Evo, and the build, fit and finish is far nicer. The badge is pretty nice too However, anyone who says the Evo doesn't handle well compared to the Porsche doesn't know how to drive the car. Period. Watch a few videos of some professional drivers in an Evo and the comments they make and you'll see that the Evo is highly precise and very nimble. I have taken several advanced (race) driving classes and know how to handle both the Porsche and the Evo, and they are both awesome, confidence inspiring vehicles - just with their own personalities. Considering the different drivelines (RWD vs AWD), and engine layouts (Mid vs Front), and the different weight balances, and total gross vehicle weight, it's no wonder they handle completely differently.

I couldn't really choose between them, and the main reason I got the Evo was (a) fun, (b) performance, and (c) practicality (the Porsche ain't no where near practical - and we now have a baby on the way!).

I hope no-one takes offence to anything in this post - it's just my own personal view (from my experience of owning both marques at the same time) and I apologize if anyone does take offence!

Thanks!

S.
Don't apologize for speaking your mind! As far as posts in this thread go, you have the best perspective, being an owner of both vehicles. i've a few questions though. As far as a daily driver, do you find yourself in the porsche more than the evo? and on the track, what do you feel more comfortable/confident driving? why?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:21 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by azredevo
Don't apologize for speaking your mind! As far as posts in this thread go, you have the best perspective, being an owner of both vehicles. i've a few questions though. As far as a daily driver, do you find yourself in the porsche more than the evo? and on the track, what do you feel more comfortable/confident driving? why?
Thanks

Anyway, at the moment I'm driving the Evo more because I've only just gotten this particular one so I'm just having a lot of fun in it right now. Also, I carpool to work so when it's my turn it's just more practical (it's a tight squeeze in the Porsche to fit 3 people!). However, saying that, I just went out earlier this evening and decided to take the Porsche instead - it's just a different kind of fun and I missed it!

As for the track, I think the Porsche is more challenging (being RWD), but also more rewarding. I haven't tracked the IX yet, but in my previous experience with Evo's it was a lot easier to drive around a track quickly. It flatters the driver (well known for that), so it can be very rewarding - just not "realistic". By that I mean *generally* most drivers who are quick around a track in an Evo (or STi) would find it difficult to jump in to a powerful RWD car and drive quickly around the track (assuming no prior on-track experience with powerful RWD cars). On the other hand a seasoned RWD driver could jump in the Evo and be very quick first time around. There are, of course, exceptions. For example, a friend of mine is an amazing driver and I've let him drive some of my cars at the track and his first time around he was almost always blisteringly fast!

The bottom line is that they are both extremely fun around a track, just in different ways. The Porsche is generally more challenging overall though, requires far more technique to drive quickly and being normally aspirated has very linear power delivery. The Evo on the other hand is fast, fun and lets you get away with a lot - then still rewards you with a pretty quick time! Unfortunately most Porsche owners have no idea how to drive their cars (just like most Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers), which is very sad considering some of the machinery available out there...

If I *had* to choose between them, with practicality and cost not being a consideration, I have to say I'd probably pick the Porsche. However, I'd also spend a huge amount upgrading the power - which is the only thing lacking (something I'd like to do in the near future). A 3.4L 911 (996) engine fits perfectly in the Boxster (a common "upgrade") and it gives you plenty of power to work with (when properly rebuilt to unleash the maximum potential from the unit)!

Hope that answered your questions!

Thanks!

S.

Last edited by Rom; Jan 5, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, that's gotta one rough riding car.... Probably a stellar suspension for track performance, but for everyday driving I'd rather have something more compatible with city streets and suburban roads....

To be honest, I have not ridden in an EVO VIII or IX lately. Since my late lamented EVO VIII that died at the hands of various and quasi-tuners/shoemakers, I've only driven my MR. Perhaps I need a reality check....

The EVO is an AWD car. However, the engine and drive configuration is a FWD with the extra bits added to drive the rear wheels....
those extra bits help it handle as well as a cayman s. someone posted a video of it a few days ago from caranddriver i think

with that said i dont agree with others comments about it being a chick car and ugly or w/e. i dont think the evo is ugly either - at least not the 9 mr - i think it looks rly good.

but anyway i believe they either increased the length of the gears on the cayman s so it wouldnt be as fast as a 911 and 911 buyers wouldnt be pissed so take that into consideration before u say the s or cayman is just to say u have a porsche - which isnt a bad thing as the op said.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adrenaline1
those extra bits help it handle as well as a cayman s. someone posted a video of it a few days ago from caranddriver i think

with that said i dont agree with others comments about it being a chick car and ugly or w/e. i dont think the evo is ugly either - at least not the 9 mr - i think it looks rly good.

but anyway i believe they either increased the length of the gears on the cayman s so it wouldnt be as fast as a 911 and 911 buyers wouldnt be pissed so take that into consideration before u say the s or cayman is just to say u have a porsche - which isnt a bad thing as the op said.
You get no argument from me about how good the EVO's handling is. As Rom posted above, the EVO might be too easy to drive making a poor driver look good and get away with poor driving.... I know how well the EVO handles as I've driven the EVO VIII GSR and the EVO VIII MR in the twisties of the Dragon and they are both "great" with the MR being the best car I've ever driven in the Dragon...
The "chick car comments" are a little out of line, but one has to consider the source. I cannot believe that some guys would deny themselves the pleasure of owning and driving a fine roadster because they are so unsure of their masculinity . As you can see in my avatar, I also drive a 9 psi supercharged '92B Miata and it's hella fun to drive. Actually, because of it's size, balance and RWD configuration, it's much more "tossable" than the EVO. And actually, there have been several EVOs who got totally owned by a drifter guy driving a Miata in the North Georgia mountains.. I'm not even sure the Miata was F/I or stock... Of course, I think it's all about the driver. Still, those Miatas can be humbling under certain conditions with the right driver...... Think about it, getting your butt handed to you by a barely 100 rwhp car......
The Porsche appears to handle very nicely, but it's not like the EVO at all and would take some getting used to.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

You get no argument from me about how good the EVO's handling is. As Rom posted above, the EVO might be too easy to drive making a poor driver look good and get away with poor driving.... I know how well the EVO handles as I've driven the EVO VIII GSR and the EVO VIII MR in the twisties of the Dragon and they are both "great" with the MR being the best car I've ever driven in the Dragon...
The "chick car comments" are a little out of line, but one has to consider the source. I cannot believe that some guys would deny themselves the pleasure of owning and driving a fine roadster because they are so unsure of their masculinity . As you can see in my avatar, I also drive a 9 psi supercharged '92B Miata and it's hella fun to drive. Actually, because of it's size, balance and RWD configuration, it's much more "tossable" than the EVO. And actually, there have been several EVOs who got totally owned by a drifter guy driving a Miata in the North Georgia mountains.. I'm not even sure the Miata was F/I or stock... Of course, I think it's all about the driver. Still, those Miatas can be humbling under certain conditions with the right driver...... Think about it, getting your butt handed to you by a barely 100 rwhp car......
The Porsche appears to handle very nicely, but it's not like the EVO at all and would take some getting used to.
I agree. As I mentioned I had a Eunos Roadster (JDM version of the Miata) and I loved it (I also drove a turbocharged Eunos, and that was very entertaining - especially in the wet - not much effort to get that one sideways!). A lot of fun, very raw, and with "only" 150-ish BHP (about 120RWHP, I'd estimate) it was surprisingly nimble. The Lotus I owned (the S1 - the best version they ever released, IMHO) had "only" 120BHP - AT THE FLYWHEEL - yet it was probably the best handling & most fun car I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I only moved to the USA about a year ago (I was born and bred in England), so I've had the opportunity to own/drive some very nice cars (unhindered by the EPA, CARB and the CHP!), including a lot of JDM cars - they are fully street legal in the UK and have the steering wheel in the right place! Many of my friends import their cars from Japan, especially Skyline GT-R VSpec's. Also, the roads in the UK are absolutely awesome - I really miss the smooth country roads there, not to mention some of the world-famous race tracks (Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Goodwood, Bruntingthorpe, etc), as well as easy access to Europe and the amazing roads there (ahhh, the Nurburgring Nordschleife....). Anyway, I digress...

Bottom line is that the Evo is an awesome sports car (or "road-legal racecar"), as practical as a family sedan, and puts extreme amounts of fun in your everyday driving (which is why I got one). The Porsche (and most balanced RWD roadsters) is a totally different type of car, very impractical (if you're married with kids), and more difficult to have a lot of fun on "normal" everyday roads (not counting some twisty back roads), but at the end of the day it's a Porsche - so just invokes completely different feelings (both from yourself, and from other people), and as I said is very rewarding when you do get to push it. Ideally having both is the best solution!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by T67Evo
For the difference in price you could spend that amount on your evo and smoke a 911 turbo and GT3..... I just kicked the crap out of two Ferrari's yesturday. A spyder and a coupe. They were both 360's. After I whooped the coupes *** the driver wouldn't even look at me..... his girlfriend did though!
This is quite possibly the stupidest post I have ever read.

You cant even spell yesterday. Your probably one of those idiot kids that lives with his parents, and works three different jobs just to support his car, and mod addiction.

You honeslty need to wake back up into reality, she was sitting in a FERRARI, with her man.....and you most likely pulled up in your econobox turned into a wanna be fast n furious matchbox car, driving like an idiot, and she and her man were thinking. "Jesus what a complete idiot."

You know why they were thinking that? Because they can afford a 150k+ Supercar, while you have to work three jobs to buy an Evo.

People who can afford to purchase cars like Ferraris, and Lambo's and other high end exotic cars could honestly care less about you, your Evo..or how fast anyone else's Evo is, because if they wanted an Evo they would have bought five of them, instead of buying the Ferrari they are in now.

As to the creator of this thread. I have driven a Cayman S, and I loved it. It had plenty of power for everyday driving, and definitly enough power to have some fun in, but felt very attuned to the road. The fit and finish of the car in general was awesome. The leather seats were specatular, and the handling was awesome...I feel as though a 911s is way more car as well..but the price difference is amazing too. Get what car makes YOU happy, and pay no attention to the haters in here that bought an Evo because they COULDNT buy a better, more expensive car in the first place.

To everyone else. You bought your Evo's, and I did too, because we knew the SRT was just a cheap peice of crap. The people who bought Porsche's, and Ferrari's feel the same way about the Evo. Even if we can add 30k worth of mods to make it faster.

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........