Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so youre saying that an M3 cant take a Boxter? hell. stock to stock i can beat a boxter in my truck.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know, but personally from your pics.. the cayman looks really effeminate.

It lacks the sharp rough edges of a man's car... and the interior color doesn't help either.

I'm sure it makes a great mom's car though.

Originally Posted by John4321
I think the Cayman is one of the best looking Porsche's out right now, short of a GT3 that is. Here's a couple photos of my moms slightly dirty Cayman S. I'm borrowing it untill my evo is ready.

Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Of course you would say that, you drive the Z4 M coupe

Cayman all the way!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

That Cayman looks great. The Z4 ihmo fell out of the ugly tree and I drive an e46 3-series. Anyone who doesn't at least respect the Cayman for what it is capable of loses car enthusiast credibility in my book.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SocalES
so youre saying that an M3 cant take a Boxter? hell. stock to stock i can beat a boxter in my truck.
LOL! In a straight line your truck could maybe keep up with my BoxSter (not sure what truck you have?)... The only problem is - on the first corner your truck will fall over. Comparing a truck to a Porsche is just not... right. And sure, an M3 could "take" a Boxster in a straight line, but around corners it would be a much closer fight. The M3 happens to be a pretty good handling car, often used as the RWD car of choice, but the Boxster is far more dynamic and balanced. Have you driven a Porsche or an M3? Have you ever driven on a track?

As has been proven, you can build an RV that can beat a Ferrari, but who really cares about straight line speed? Both the Evo and the Porsche are excellent handling cars - and I personally think, from comparing them side-by-side, a stock Boxster would outhandle a stock Evo on a tarmac track (a dirt or wet road is a different matter, of course!). I really don't like the whole drag racing straight line thing - it doesn't really prove anything, and it doesn't really involve much driver skill. It's great to test an drivetrain is performing as expected, but it's not the best way to drive a car or challenge a driver. Nowhere else in the world do people seriously test 1/4 mile times.

At the end of the day I got the Evo for it's practicality (4-door sedan), and rally heritage (so I can have some fun). Taking practicality aside, if I *had* to choose, I'd take the Porsche - even though the Evo is quicker. Driving a car which just feels right (with all that Porsche racing heritage) is a totally different experience.

Oh, and the Z4 is also a nice handling car (far better than the Z3 - which sucked, and was BMW's self-confessed mistake). I've had the opportunity to drive one of those hard, and it felt very good. Overally, though, I still preferred the Porsche from a driving point of view. As for the looks, that's a totally personal thing (and cannot be decided here - everyone has their own view and it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing!), and I personally like both the Porsche lines and the Z4 lines, although they are very different.

Thanks!

S.

Last edited by Rom; Jan 9, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Anyway, I'm also gonna look at the new BMW M z4 coupe. Now that car seems quite impressive at least on paper. The straight six engine has 6 throttles and can propel the car to 4.9 seconds 0-60..... Now that's power that compares well with the EVO. Also, the price is the same as the base Cayman. I don't know about the new Z4, but the new 325 series BMW is a sweet machine. If that Coupe is more comfy than the Cayman, I'll get one for sure!! (if the money is right, of course)
Wow if any one thought the caman was ugly, I cant wait to hear what they will say about an abomination like the MZ4 coupe!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoda
That Cayman looks great. The Z4 ihmo fell out of the ugly tree and I drive an e46 3-series. Anyone who doesn't at least respect the Cayman for what it is capable of loses car enthusiast credibility in my book.
Gee fellows, I did not start this thread for a competition between the Cayman and the Z4M. Both cars are quite nice and excellent performers in their own way. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. I was talking about buying a Porsche (and in another thread a Z4M) to replace my EVO.... So far I've put the brakes on either car and I'm seriously considering the 335i. BTW, to all the German car bashers, all I can say is to actually test drive them before passing judgement on these cars. Wake up and smell the coffee friends. Those German cars are very competitive with the EVO and quite superior in some respects. The 335i is definitely a serious contender even for the straight line or dyno wars guys. The one I test drove felt quicker and faste than my EVO.....
Old Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rom
LOL! In a straight line your truck could maybe keep up with my BoxSter (not sure what truck you have?)... The only problem is - on the first corner your truck will fall over. Comparing a truck to a Porsche is just not... right. And sure, an M3 could "take" a Boxster in a straight line, but around corners it would be a much closer fight. The M3 happens to be a pretty good handling car, often used as the RWD car of choice, but the Boxster is far more dynamic and balanced. Have you driven a Porsche or an M3? Have you ever driven on a track?

Thanks!

S.
i drive an 07 tacoma x-runner. the best handling truck on the road. yeah everyone thinks that a truck and handling doesnt go together, but i think .90g's is pretty damn good, and no, your Boxter wont run away in the twisties, its more of, who has bigger cajones...
i havnt driven either car because #1 i dont fit in a boxter and #2 a BMW dealership is gonna look at me and laugh, im 19 and they know i just wanna drive the hell out of the car.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

i drive an 07 tacoma x-runner. the best handling truck on the road. yeah everyone thinks that a truck and handling doesnt go together, but i think .90g's is pretty damn good, and no, your Boxter wont run away in the twisties, its more of, who has bigger cajones...
i havnt driven either car because #1 i dont fit in a boxter and #2 a BMW dealership is gonna look at me and laugh, im 19 and they know i just wanna drive the hell out of the car.
Well, in a way, you have a point. I've never driven the x-runner so I don't know how well it handles and drives. I have driven the Porsches, Beemers, etc. So I do know how various cars run and how they handle. I'm sure a pickup truck can be made to hadle reasonably well, perhaps even very well. But remember, just because it can pull .9 g's in a test, it does not mean it can handle like a purpose made sports car.... If you talk with people now days, some say that the Toyota and Honda minivans handle fantastically, and some magazine guys were testing the new Acura turbo charged SUV and they claimed it handled and ran beatifully. However, I'm pretty skeptical about such claims. I've driven all kinds of cars, vans and trucks over the years and I can tell you without a doubt that purpose made sports cars feel and perform much better than family cars, pickup trucks, vans and econoboxes. Even the old school English and Italian roadsters can handle better than many new cars in the twisties. The new sports cars are several orders of magnitude better at handling in road or race circuits than the average car, pickup truck or minivan. They must be experienced before passing judgment on them.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

The slalom will give you a better idea of how the truck can handle than the skid pad.

The x-runner does have an impressive slalom for a truck, but the Boxster is well known as being one the best handling Porsches. The Boxster S has recorded better slalom times than the Enzo.

Porsches truly are in a league of their own. Everytime I get behind my dad's 996 C4S I realize how the other sports cars I've owned just don't measure up.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by doccommando
The slalom will give you a better idea of how the truck can handle than the skid pad.

The x-runner does have an impressive slalom for a truck, but the Boxster is well known as being one the best handling Porsches. The Boxster S has recorded better slalom times than the Enzo.

Porsches truly are in a league of their own. Everytime I get behind my dad's 996 C4S I realize how the other sports cars I've owned just don't measure up.
True, the slalom and other tests do give a good idea of the handling prowess of a vehicle. However, there is nothing really like the "hands-on" driving experience to make an educated opinion. There is a whole lot more to the quality of a car's handling and driveability than a bunch of test results numbers. The actual "feel" of a car when you get in it and drive it is much more important. Likewise, what each person prefers and values in a car is much more important that what others might say or write. I've had the chance to drive some pretty unique cars and IMOH, some cars are just "better" than others for me. Regardless of test results in magazines or even various contests of speed.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I completely agree, and I don't want to sound like a snob because I really don't mean to be one, but until you get behind the wheel of a Porsche, it's hard to understand what it's about if you're just taking magazine numbers. So, while a truck might put up similar times or numbers and might be able to keep up around a road course the driving experience will be day and night. I've driven AMG SUVs and while they're fast, they still feel clunky and don't inspire the same confidence a true sports car does.

I love my Evo, don't get me wrong. I prefer it to an M3 or a 335 because I don't believe the mark up is worth it (the M Coupe is a whole other story), but the Evo simply does not compare to the 996 and the 996 isn't too much faster.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Just like we're laughing at you now on how you *think* your X-runner can keep up with the boxter on the track, autox. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice car and you should be proud of it w/o a doubt, but w/o driven both of the cars OR any track experiences - you don't really have much creditability on the subject.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:15 PM

stock evo compared to some of the vehicles mentioned obviously is no real match. but a modded EVO to make up for the price gap could take most of the cars mentioned.

boxter is like an s2k, handles somewhat well, but underpowered. i've driven a boxter and also raced it, it's cool, but definitely not worth the price. not bang for the buck.

to the thread starter, the caymann is a nice car, but i think if you mod your evo a bit you will be just as happy. ~350hp, suspension, it's just as good or better for much less. imo, unless you're "BALLIN'" haha and want to step up to a GT2, 3, 911TT, just mod a evo. it's bang for the buck.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
it's a waste of a Porsche, not as good as it could have been because it is a Gap filler. It is over priced and under powered.

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........