Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
every car i've ever seen has a target market. the cayman is no different. porsche just happened to have a hole in their menu, and they plugged it. perfectly in my opinion. any more power and handling would have destroyed 911 sales, and less might have tarnished their reputation.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

You guys are seriously retarded, the guy said he DOESN'T want to mod the Evo, it's not his thing no more. *******, get a clue
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

lol at the people who are saying the Cayman is underpowered. Car and Driver took it around the Virginia Raceway 4 seconds faster than an MR. So yes, it could use some more power on the straitaways, etc. but it's obviously a great handling car and can hold its own
Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
it's a waste of a Porsche, not as good as it could have been because it is a Gap filler. It is over priced and under powered.
They released the Cayman because many customers wanted a coupe version of the Boxster. The Cayman and the Boxster perform very similarly and in fact are based on the exact same 987 platform. Technology has improved the rigidity of roadsters to the point that they do rival coupes, but one other thing people don't like is road noise. Roadsters, with soft tops, have a lot more road noise than a coupe.

As for engine power, both the Boxster and the Cayman have exactly the same power output (245BHP for the standard and 295BHP for the 'S' - same engines), so the S actually puts out more power than the Evo. Performance-wise the standard Cayman and Boxster do 0-60 in 5.8secs, and the Boxster S does it in 5.2secs, with the Cayman S doing about 5.1secs (better aerodynamics on the Cayman vs the Boxster). The acceleration on the Evo is better, but the Porsche is a lot smoother, with linear power delivery from its normally aspirated engine.

Therefore, as you can see, the Cayman and Boxster are pretty much identical cars - just with different roofs. The Cayman isn't a "gap filler". Both the Cayman and Boxsters are, from Porsche's point of view, entry level. The 911 is their top-of-the-range. I personally feel, along with a lot of people, that the 987 platform (Boxster/Cayman) handles far better than the 911 platform due to the engine placement. The 987 is far more of a drivers car, whereas the 911 is more of a "look at me, I have money" type of car, or for people who like the classic shape. I would personally skip the 911 and buy the Carrera GT (605BHP, 3.9secs to 62, 205mph top speed, and under 7 secs to 100) if I wanted something better than the 987 platform, since it's also mid-engined. Unfortunately it also costs $440,000 though!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

People also forget how quick Porsches are after they hit 80-90mph.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:45 PM

well for the caymann range, just get a Z06 then. haha. caymann is a nice car, but too much $ for what it is. or, be super cool and wait for the M3, Supra, R35, NSX or something. =P

and evos are slow stock, so that's already settled. US needs a FQ400 model so this guy can trade it in for that. =P since he wants to be "stock".

Last edited by xxazn2nrxx; Jan 10, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Drove a Cayman S (19 inch wheel, PASM, sports chrono)early Saturday morning sometime last year. Floored it on 5th gear and hit the 7300 RPM at around 156 mph. Then I shift to 6th and it pulled hard all the way to 172 mph with the RPM at 7000 RPM (more or else). It will go pass 175 mph because it still has 300 RPMs left. It was so loud inside and for sure; THE CAR IS UNDER RATED BY PORSCHE.
Now buy a used one 3 years from now, save money for a 3.8 S engine and do the swap. Save some more money and buy a LSD ($5000).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xxazn2nrxx
well for the caymann range, just get a Z06 then. haha. caymann is a nice car, but too much $ for what it is. or, be super cool and wait for the M3, Supra, R35, NSX or something. =P

and evos are slow stock, so that's already settled. US needs a FQ400 model so this guy can trade it in for that. =P since he wants to be "stock".

The Porsche outclasses all of the cars listed. It's not always about the most HP for the least $. Sure, it's not the fastest car around a track or down a drag strip, but that's not really the point. It's fast, handles superbly and is luxurious and well built. The difference between sitting in a Vette, even a new Vette, and a Porsche is miles wide.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo55
Drove a Cayman S (19 inch wheel, PASM, sports chrono)early Saturday morning sometime last year. Floored it on 5th gear and hit the 7300 RPM at around 156 mph. Then I shift to 6th and it pulled hard all the way to 172 mph with the RPM at 7000 RPM (more or else). It will go pass 175 mph because it still has 300 RPMs left. It was so loud inside and for sure; THE CAR IS UNDER RATED BY PORSCHE.
Now buy a used one 3 years from now, save money for a 3.8 S engine and do the swap. Save some more money and buy a LSD ($5000).
This is a joke, right? Was any statement you made was valid?

Last edited by Tristar; Jan 10, 2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
This is a joke, right? Was any statement you made was valid?
You have no idea and experience on this car. Waiting for my 997GT3 that's all I can say.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by purecoda
every car i've ever seen has a target market. the cayman is no different. porsche just happened to have a hole in their menu, and they plugged it. perfectly in my opinion. any more power and handling would have destroyed 911 sales, and less might have tarnished their reputation.
Trust me, Porsche already tarnished their reputation with that piece of crap Boxter. At least the Boxter S is a little better than the base Boxter though. However, 50k for a Boxter S and you could have had a C5 Z06. The Z06 doesn't have Tiptronic or a convertible top, so you wouldn't be able to put your makeup on with the top down.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIX_thousand
Trust me, Porsche already tarnished their reputation with that piece of crap Boxter. At least the Boxter S is a little better than the base Boxter though. However, 50k for a Boxter S and you could have had a C5 Z06. The Z06 doesn't have Tiptronic or a convertible top, so you wouldn't be able to put your makeup on with the top down.
Do you know anything about the Boxster? Have any idea about Porsche's heritage?

The Vette is a piece of crap next to any Porsche. It's a fast piece of crap, but it's still a piece of crap.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

yah the car is designed to drive on the Autobahn.... That must say something about it's heritage.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBzKhW5zJU

answers here....

It's technically brilliant, it's kinda like an airbus. It's an engineering marval but there is no sense of passion.....

Last edited by High_PSI; Jan 10, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by doccommando
Do you know anything about the Boxster? Have any idea about Porsche's heritage?

The Vette is a piece of crap next to any Porsche. It's a fast piece of crap, but it's still a piece of crap.
I know plenty about Porsches and there heritage. I have owned three of them and I have diven many of them and I do prefer the 911"s over the Boxster/Cayman and beleive me the Cayman is way overpriced and no it can't even compare with a base Vette let alone a Z06. Please I don't think you have a clue you just are in love with a BRAND. The interior is ok at best and ride can't compare to Vette. God even the Porsche dealers top saleperson who is my friend wouldn't buy one and he has driven every model they have offered for over 20+yrs that he has worked there. He even said for the money I would get a Z06 in a NY minute. Not even close!

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........