Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to Cayman?........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO to Cayman?........

I almost traded my EVO in on a '07 Cayman today. I went to the Porsche dealer and they let me drive a base model Cayman home to show it to my wife. No doubt about it, the car is absolutely beautiful. When the salesman drove it, he pushed it hard in the rain slicked streets and swerved it under power, etc. The car never lost it's composture. The brakes are incredibly good and the traction control works perfectly. You don't even know it's there, the car just holds the road with more tenacity than my AWD EVO.

The sound of the exhaust and the engine from the rear is absolutely wonderful. It's really a neat car. The down side is that the Cayman's ride is harsher than the EVO's and the power output is disappointingly low. I hate to say it, but it feels positively anemic compared to the EVO. Of course, practically every other car I've test driven feels weak compared to my EVO.... The cost is also an issue. At $52K msrp, the drive out cost was over $31K plus my EVO in trade. I decided not to do it. Perhaps next week I'll test drive a Cayman S demo, which the sales manager claimed he could give me a great deal on. Of course, their idea of a great deal and mine are probably gonna be several thousand dollars apart....Still, it's tempting... Oh yeah, the 20K service interval is kind of nice too. BTW, my wife liked the Cayman waaaay more than the EVO (surprise, surprise)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cayman is great but I wouldn't get rid of an evo for one...a 911 or gt3 and thats a different story...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

they are nice
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
cayman is great but I wouldn't get rid of an evo for one...a 911 or gt3 and thats a different story...
The 911 or GT3 are nice, but in reality the Cayman is the better car for balance and handling... Have you driven any of them?

Last edited by silverEVO8; Dec 30, 2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
The 911 or GT3 are nice, but in reality the Cayman is the better car for balance and handling... Have you driven any of them?
that is why they are coming with a low powered base cayman so it will not take the sales of the 997. the original cayman s manual was well balanced in the track than the 996.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
Account Disabled

yup, next car for me will be a gt3, for now the evo is plenty...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

I almost traded my EVO in on a '07 Cayman today. I went to the Porsche dealer and they let me drive a base model Cayman home to show it to my wife. No doubt about it, the car is absolutely beautiful. When the salesman drove it, he pushed it hard in the rain slicked streets and swerved it under power, etc. The car never lost it's composture. The brakes are incredibly good and the traction control works perfectly. You don't even know it's there, the car just holds the road with more tenacity than my AWD EVO.

The sound of the exhaust and the engine from the rear is absolutely wonderful. It's really a neat car. The down side is that the Cayman's ride is harsher than the EVO's and the power output is disappointingly low. I hate to say it, but it feels positively anemic compared to the EVO. Of course, practically every other car I've test driven feels weak compared to my EVO.... The cost is also an issue. At $52K msrp, the drive out cost was over $31K plus my EVO in trade. I decided not to do it. Perhaps next week I'll test drive a Cayman S demo, which the sales manager claimed he could give me a great deal on. Of course, their idea of a great deal and mine are probably gonna be several thousand dollars apart....Still, it's tempting... Oh yeah, the 20K service interval is kind of nice too. BTW, my wife liked the Cayman waaaay more than the EVO (surprise, surprise)
Aside from being ugly, I wouldn't trade it in unless it was an "S" model. The standard Cayman is nothing more than an excuse to say, "I have a Porsche."
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Aside from being ugly, I wouldn't trade it in unless it was an "S" model. The standard Cayman is nothing more than an excuse to say, "I have a Porsche."
First of all, "I have a Porsche" is plenty good enough reason to get one . Anyway, from a Subbie driver the word "ugly" applied to a Cayman is preposterous ... Hey, I like subbies and all, but talk about the pot calling the kettle black! . The Cayman is absolutely beautiful. Specially compared to the ugly STi or EVO, now those are ugly cars with a capital "U". Like I said, the power output of the non"S" is pretty unimpressive and is a deal breaker for me. I'll have to test drive the Cayman S to find out if it comes close to EVO power..... I'll see.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Anyway, I'm also gonna look at the new BMW M z4 coupe. Now that car seems quite impressive at least on paper. The straight six engine has 6 throttles and can propel the car to 4.9 seconds 0-60..... Now that's power that compares well with the EVO. Also, the price is the same as the base Cayman. I don't know about the new Z4, but the new 325 series BMW is a sweet machine. If that Coupe is more comfy than the Cayman, I'll get one for sure!! (if the money is right, of course)
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:36 AM

335i... enough said =D
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djdorifto
335i... enough said =D
good choice
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

the ride in a cayman is HARSHER than an evo?!?!?!?! the only ride i've ever driven that's harsher than my evo, is my 1988 GTA Trans am with ws-6 suspension!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

could be,but Cayman has no LSD in the rear which is dissapointing...
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azredevo
the ride in a cayman is HARSHER than an evo?!?!?!?! the only ride i've ever driven that's harsher than my evo, is my 1988 GTA Trans am with ws-6 suspension!
Serious? I just drove my dad's 1989 GTA literally 2 hours ago, and it's softer than my 2005 STi! The STi is softer than an Evo.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotec
could be,but Cayman has no LSD in the rear which is dissapointing...
That right there is a poor excuse for a "supposed" sports car, especially one costing in the $50,000 range.

Quick Reply: EVO to Cayman?........