Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to 335i?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was never fan of German build quality (what happened to the good ol days of M-B build quality?) but if you have the $, then go for it

I DO hear BMW parts are awful expensive to replace...for instance, I heard a guy who needed to have his CUP HOLDER replaced had to dish out $500...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TwoMix9900
Was never fan of German build quality (what happened to the good ol days of M-B build quality?) but if you have the $, then go for it

I DO hear BMW parts are awful expensive to replace...for instance, I heard a guy who needed to have his CUP HOLDER replaced had to dish out $500...

The build quality is top notch and among the best i've seen. Engines can last seemingly forever if you take care of it. Its the electronic gremlins you have to worry about.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:08 AM

I owned a 04 E46 M3 before switching into a EVO MR. As long you have the warranty or extended warranty in a BMW, is the best car you can own. Best service, zero maintenance. Basically you only need to worried about gas and tires, that's the only reason I changed into a MR, freaking tires cost just too much after driving it for 25k miles. Basically $1.5k every 3-4 months....one a MR, half that price, by just giving up some comfort and luxury.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRunner
I owned a 04 E46 M3 before switching into a EVO MR. As long you have the warranty or extended warranty in a BMW, is the best car you can own. Best service, zero maintenance. Basically you only need to worried about gas and tires, that's the only reason I changed into a MR, freaking tires cost just too much after driving it for 25k miles. Basically $1.5k every 3-4 months....one a MR, half that price, by just giving up some comfort and luxury.
Why were the tires so expensive? I know that they want you to use "run flat" tires, but I've seen those for reasonable prices in various internet sites....
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Besides tires, everything else is expensive. For JUST a muffler, it was a dealer only part and my friend has to shell out over 600 bucks.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
Why were the tires so expensive? I know that they want you to use "run flat" tires, but I've seen those for reasonable prices in various internet sites....

well I drive slightly aggresive a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2,.... 225/40R19 front and 255/35R19 about $350 a piece, that;s 4 x $350 = $1400 plus install....almost over $1500 after tax n handling.

plus any modifications u planned to do, have to be Dinan, in order to keep the warranty, you can touch anything without spending over $2,000 as starters.

but I missed the confident the M3 gives u comapre to the MR..after 120 mph above...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I just got a 335i and love it. I can honestly say I find myself wanting to drive it more than my Evo lately. I think I might get the Exede for it which should wake it up considerably even though it is no slouch to begin with. I'm just waiting to see what flashes are going to be available before I buy the Exede. I'm thinking since there is no way in hell I'm opening up the motor a flash will probably be the cheaper better solution for me.

I can't believe how easy it is to speed in this car.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I don't care about how much it costs to modify because I'll probably not mess with it at all. After my experiences with modifying my '03 EVO VIII and even just adding a cat-back to my MR for a short time, I've decided that modifying perfectly good cars is for the birds. IMHO, most modifications are a terrible waste of money plus they hurt the comfort or driveability of the car. With the possible exception of a reflash or XEDE, I just won't do anything to a new 335i. Also, I think that there are lots of good tires that will fit the car for a lot less than $350 each. With the EVO I did not replace the tires with OEM Advans... I can get excellent alternative high performance tires for less than 1/2 the price... This 335i is looking better and better. Specially with the Steptronic......
Old Jan 3, 2007, 08:21 AM

silerevo8.....i'm with you....modification is really waste of money, unless you have knowledge and passion for it....and is very subjective. My opinion is waste of moni, but some other is very worht while. I used to have a S/C civic SI with 350 whp.....the car spend more time in the shop and cost more to maintain than a M3. But sometimes those moment.....u out run ...actually the torque steer is so great....the car hop from one place to other....ahahha...so when I out HOP a Z06...very very satisfied.

yeah....u can get good tires well under $350, I spend 5 times on track and more than 20 times on autox last summer, used two set of tires, Azenis RT615 n the Michellin set. There is a different, does the extra $100 per tire make a difference??? anyone in that track n X their car will tell you it does......

i test drove the 335ci before bought the MR. ...YES very amazing car......just the BMW dealers in my area that time ask so much more than the MSRP and not willing to negotiatie that much, and I got avery very very good deal on the MR.....
In future I might trade the MR for a 335i...but for sure got to be a 6 speed....

BTW since u so amazed with the 335i's steptronic....did you ever tested the BMW's SMG???is a whole new world for you ahhahaha..but i still got a 6 speed on my ex M3 ahhaha
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

silerevo8.....i'm with you....modification is really waste of money, unless you have knowledge and passion for it....and is very subjective. My opinion is waste of moni, but some other is very worht while. I used to have a S/C civic SI with 350 whp.....the car spend more time in the shop and cost more to maintain than a M3. But sometimes those moment.....u out run ...actually the torque steer is so great....the car hop from one place to other....ahahha...so when I out HOP a Z06...very very satisfied.

yeah....u can get good tires well under $350, I spend 5 times on track and more than 20 times on autox last summer, used two set of tires, Azenis RT615 n the Michellin set. There is a different, does the extra $100 per tire make a difference??? anyone in that track n X their car will tell you it does......

i test drove the 335ci before bought the MR. ...YES very amazing car......just the BMW dealers in my area that time ask so much more than the MSRP and not willing to negotiatie that much, and I got avery very very good deal on the MR.....
In future I might trade the MR for a 335i...but for sure got to be a 6 speed....

BTW since u so amazed with the 335i's steptronic....did you ever tested the BMW's SMG???is a whole new world for you ahhahaha..but i still got a 6 speed on my ex M3 ahhaha
Is english your second language or are you just 13?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=hotrod2448;3820244]Is english your second language or are you just 13?[/QUOT

sorry second
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I really don't track my cars. I have not been to a track day in nearly 6 years. Also, I haven't autocrossed a car since my Saab Sonnett days back in the early '70s ... I still enjoy some spirited driving in the twisties from time to time. And I know that some properly warmed up DOT tires would make it even more fun, but it's just not practicable to buy tires and wheels for the occasional summer drive to the mountains. Besides, what if it rains??
Anyway, for me a tire like the Falken Azenis or the Hankook SR-2 are just fine for everyday spring, summer, and early fall driving. At just over $100 each, they beat the crap out of expensive, high performance tires for general useability and price.

For now, I'm done modifying new, perfectly good, high performance cars. I've already modified extensively 3 different Miatas (added forced induction to all of them), a '96 Integra GSR (hella fast with a supercharger), an '03 WRX and my '03 EVO VIII. Frankly my experience with the EVO was horrible and a huge waste of money. The car became an undriveable piece of $hit and I went through untold misery dealing with some so-called "tuners" and their fanbois. Screw that crap, before I ever mess with another nice new car, I'll make sure that I've been able to drive it past it's limits with confidence and reliability.

As for the A/T vs straight shift. I did test the M3 with SMG a while back, but I did not like it. It was not easy to get used to. Very positive shifts though... Brutal kick in the butt, but the 335i Steptronic is very versatile and very smooth and positive. It performs as well as the AUDI DSG which I was very impressed with. I will definitely test drive the 335 with a 6 speed just to make sure. I'd hate to get the A/T and then find out I liked the 6 speed better.... Anyway, my '05 MR is listed for sale in Craig's list. I hope I can sell it quick so I can get my next car. Very possibly it will be the 335i

Last edited by silverEVO8; Jan 3, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

sorry second
It's cool. I just never know if it is someone who legitimately has a hard time communicating in English or someone who is just too lazy to use proper grammar.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:35 PM

I actually had narrowed my move from my s2000 to either the new 335 or a used Evo. I had owned '98 M3 about 5 years ago and didn't care for the feel of the E46 so I wrote that one off. After driving both cars I would prefer the BMW if they were in the same price range, but all things considered a new BMW was not worth it over a lightly used Evo.

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
Not to knock your car but you have obviously never been in a fast car...
Because my old 6 speed Accord coupe was quicker than the 2002 330ci, so your car cannot be quick.
Decent handling, great looks (better than the new ones) but slow as hell.
then youve never been in a modded one