Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to 335i?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the great thing about bmw is they pay for all maintnence... except tires.... EVEN BRAKES!

The best bmw is a stock one.... ya beat the **** out of it and they fix it no questions asked... unlike mitsu they will neve ever ever tell you that you drove it too hard and thats why it broke.

i had an M3 for 2 years, never had a problem. people blew the motors because they didnt wait for them to warm up. i would imagine the 335i has the same monitering system built into the tach

cheers!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:15 PM
m2
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with Sor, unless you got supercharger and lots of tricks under the hood, your E46 325 is slooooow--relative to fast cars. Nothing personal, but the base 3-series engine (E46) is nothing to brag about anywhere.

You might hunt down one or two integras but thats it. Even with boost, your 325 will probably still have a hard time with a 6-speed 330ci and we're still not comparing it to a fast car. Sorry dude! It is what it is (comfy, quiet, RWD) but it's not fast anywhere.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SoR
Not to knock your car but you have obviously never been in a fast car...
Because my old 6 speed Accord coupe was quicker than the 2002 330ci, so your car cannot be quick.
Decent handling, great looks (better than the new ones) but slow as hell.
Well the new 335 is a whole new car. Twin turbo I6. They are trapping 105mph stock, which beats a stock Evo.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burnmacs
Well the new 335 is a whole new car. Twin turbo I6. They are trapping 105mph stock, which beats a stock Evo.
very true, im just saying im impressed with my 325 for what it is and a lot of people who ride in it are as well, and i have been in fast cars before haha, hell ive even driven an evo on numerous occasions.

i know the mere thought of an evo being beat by something else makes some peoples evo ego get all butt-hurt but..... too bad hahaha
Old Jan 6, 2007, 09:53 PM

You're really starting to make me curious, what exactly do you have on your 325 that makes it so "impressive" (turbo/supercharger)? I've driven a manual 325 and found its acceleration to be quite anemic. Also, pls. explain how bmw's are "good at drag racing" (based on your sig).
Old Jan 6, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
I was thinking about getting one for my daily driver but I won't.
After spending quite a bit of time on E90 forums reading, I realized it's just another german car. And I can't be bothered with electrical/electronical problems german cars are plagued with. It would be great to lease one so when the warranty expires you are done ... but to buy one, I just can't justify spending over $40k and then having to worry about if it's gonna break or not.
Great car, really only lacks the rear LSD but I like owning my cars and bimmer doesn't seem to be the one I'd like to own. If I was filthy rich, then it'd be another story.
Exactly!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kcruboy
You're really starting to make me curious, what exactly do you have on your 325 that makes it so "impressive" (turbo/supercharger)? I've driven a manual 325 and found its acceleration to be quite anemic. Also, pls. explain how bmw's are "good at drag racing" (based on your sig).
A friend at work got a base 325 that he got with the European delivery. To be quite honest, I found the car to be very good. The handling and ride are first class, the finish is very high quality and for a base car it's pretty incredible. The acceleration is not like the EVO, but it's quite fast and quick. Oh yeah, the gas mileage is very good and it burns 89 octane gas. For $27K I think it's a bargain.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:30 AM

I've always seen the 3 series as not necessarily doing any one thing (acceleration, handling, luxury, style, price) better than everyone else but considering the average of everything it's always one of the best.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:33 AM

hmmmm...not liking the pick. Evo>335i
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NikkaLB23
hmmmm...not liking the pick. Evo>335i
If it were only a matter of preference, I'd say you are right. However, in reality only the price is better in the EVO. In everything else the 335i (with the options I tested) is quite a bit superior to the EVO
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
the great thing about bmw is they pay for all maintnence... except tires.... EVEN BRAKES!

The best bmw is a stock one.... ya beat the **** out of it and they fix it no questions asked... unlike mitsu they will neve ever ever tell you that you drove it too hard and thats why it broke.

i had an M3 for 2 years, never had a problem. people blew the motors because they didnt wait for them to warm up. i would imagine the 335i has the same monitering system built into the tach

cheers!

Exactly! My z3 mcoupe got a new engine under warranty at 48k even though the ecu had recorded a 174 mph run and had a dinan sw flash
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing that keeps me from getting that new 335i is the price difference of the EVO MR trade. The 335i is light years ahead of the EVO. Not only it'll out run it in a straight line, but I believe it can handle equally well or better than the EVO. Now, when you compare the two cars for comfort, looks, fuel economy, dealer service, warranty, etc. There is no doubt that the 335i is way ahead. If only I did not mind blowing $24~25K plus my MR, I'd be driving a 335i with steptronic, navigation, etc. tomorrow
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think a 335i is a perfect car for you because you don't want to mod it or anything. You get a great car from the get go and mods for it are expensive anyways. I'd rock one if I was rich but I have an evo instead. I think the evo and 335i are close in performance stock but once you start modding the evo when, but none of that matters to you since you arent going to mod. So go with the bmw.

Also why dont you sell your evo first then buy the 335i instead of trading it in?