Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO to 335i?........

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EVO to 335i?........

OK, here I go again. I thought I'd check out the Z4 M so I looked around at the BMWs. Of course, when I came to work my friend who just bought a 325 said "you gotta try the 335i. It's the car for you..."
Anyway, I set up a meeting with the salesman at the BMW dealer and three of us went there during lunch hour to check out the 335i. The salesman took us out in a demo with A/T and premium package. I've gotta say it's a very impressive car. With 4 people in the car (2 of them big guys of over 200lbs) the acceleration was very respectable. I had my doubts about the A/T, but in reality it's a great transmission. In the sport mode it upshifts and downshifts automatically with great efficiency and great feeling. It even blips the throttle during downshifts. If you choose the manual shifting, it's perfect. All you do is hold the throttle wide open and nudge the stick. Up or down shifting is perfect and precise.
You cannot tell you have twin turbos because there is no lag at all. the motor pulls like a high output V8. The brakes are stellar and the ride is utterly comfortable. Oh, did I mention it handles beautifully? This car had the navigation, bluetooth, etc. I did not think I wanted those features, but they are really nifty. You can make phone calls by voice command and it really works! Same with changing radio stations, etc. We did not try out the navigation, but if it works as well as the rest of the stuff, it will be just fine.
I might just trade my EVO MR in on this car. It really is a great sports car with luxury ride.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

It really is a great car. All BMWs are great cars but the 335i has the power to match now. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Got to hear one take off yesterday at a light (across the intersection, parallel to me) Sounded pretty nice.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

i love my 325ci, my friends cant believe how quick it is for their base engine, chirping the 255 tires i have in the rear while shifting into 3rd sure is fun hehe
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

I was thinking about getting one for my daily driver but I won't.
After spending quite a bit of time on E90 forums reading, I realized it's just another german car. And I can't be bothered with electrical/electronical problems german cars are plagued with. It would be great to lease one so when the warranty expires you are done ... but to buy one, I just can't justify spending over $40k and then having to worry about if it's gonna break or not.
Great car, really only lacks the rear LSD but I like owning my cars and bimmer doesn't seem to be the one I'd like to own. If I was filthy rich, then it'd be another story.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Handmemyarms
i love my 325ci, my friends cant believe how quick it is for their base engine, chirping the 255 tires i have in the rear while shifting into 3rd sure is fun hehe
Not to knock your car but you have obviously never been in a fast car...
Because my old 6 speed Accord coupe was quicker than the 2002 330ci, so your car cannot be quick.
Decent handling, great looks (better than the new ones) but slow as hell.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

quite a price difference from a EVO isn't it?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

just dont like the 335
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9GUY9
quite a price difference from a EVO isn't it?
Not too much if you compare a base 335i with a base EVO MR...... The base price of the 335i is around $38K........... Of course, you can't find a base 335i anywhere
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
just dont like the 335
I don't like at least 70% of the cars out there and prolly 99% of trucks, SUVs and vans.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoR
I was thinking about getting one for my daily driver but I won't.
After spending quite a bit of time on E90 forums reading, I realized it's just another german car. And I can't be bothered with electrical/electronical problems german cars are plagued with. It would be great to lease one so when the warranty expires you are done ... but to buy one, I just can't justify spending over $40k and then having to worry about if it's gonna break or not.
Great car, really only lacks the rear LSD but I like owning my cars and bimmer doesn't seem to be the one I'd like to own. If I was filthy rich, then it'd be another story.
That is so true. If you can overlook these little gremlins it can still be a great car. I have a friend who has a 2001 5 series that intermittantly gives an oil light and coolant level low light but it never is. I have another friend who has a 2002 3 series whose oil light also comes on intermittantly with no oil issues. I also have a cousin in Asia who bought a brand new 2006 5 series and always tells him his tire is punctured when the pressure is fine.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1, customer has a 05 3 series and the tire pressure light keeps going on when his tire is fine. My girlfriend has a 03 325i and the turn signal indication lights (on the dash) that a lamp is out keep going on and off. Geeze...germans car.. (N) BLEH
Old Jan 2, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
BMWs regular auto trannies have come a long way. Very easy to drive, and the upshifts and downshifts are pretty damn good.

But if you get a BMW, better have the warrenty! It's gonna be spending some time at the dealer fixing the electronics... Have a friend with a ~2000 325 and she's had this one window motor replaced 4 times.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I've heard that the beemers come with all kinds of little problems that'll drive you crazy. OTOH, I've know guys with old beemers with many hundreds of thousands of miles with the motors still going strong....