Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

M3(e36) Rx-7(FD3S).. Help!. Decisions..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should consider something else. Maintenance on a M3 is killer and the Rotory engine is tempermental. Wrong tune and you're done.

Get a Supra TT
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thaigleshmk
well... reliability to me is like.. it doesn't break down easily.. it won't just die on me. I mean i wouldn't mind if this little thing went wrong .. this and that
But you were saying that they are just the same as dsm engines... so i'm pretty confident w/ it then.?
these are not small problems. the motors pop very easy. if you dont mind pulling a motor out and getting a custom rebuild every 40-50k. the motor is super easy to work on but in all honesty after dealing with one I would never in this lifetime buy one. my best friend has one it it is a headache seriously. I love the car but unless you got the LS1 swap they are un reliable. they dont make power as easy as most. basically what ever you see other cars making for power on a turbo the RX7 only mkes an verage of about 70% of that with the same turbo.

What mods does this one your looking at have? stock turbos are only good for about 14 pounds effiecently and it uses a single bar map sensor so you can even see past 15 PSI or the car kills itself and stock fuel is maxed out at somewhere in the 14 PSI range as well

Last edited by EMonz57; Jan 23, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
You should consider something else. Maintenance on a M3 is killer and the Rotory engine is tempermental. Wrong tune and you're done.

Get a Supra TT
thats what I am trying to say. although if he is selling the EVO for school I think a MKIV is gonna be alittle pricey maybe??? dont wanna speak for anyone but hey
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:07 PM

Ive owned several FD RX7's with single turbos. You should not own one by the way you are talking. In order to own a FD with a GT 40 on it, you need to be a mechanic/tuner or a millionare. I KNEW rx7's, and owned 8 total, and still had them break constantly. You will have starting problems, boost problems, get about 12 mpg, not pass emmisions, high insurance and VERY low reliablitly. Most FD owners spend more time working on there car then driving it, I don't care what they say. I spent every weekend doing something to all of my FD's just to get to work on Monday. You will probably blow an engine in that car just tuning it properly, as many people who tune cars blow one trying to get it right. If you are young and don't have money, buy a civic and get what you want AFTER college. Please dont ruin another FD as so many people before you have, there are only so many left. Have some respect for a Japanese legend by not buying it, because you know nothing about it.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

it has a gt40 turbo in it and all the supporting mods. injectors and stuff.
but he is only running 10psi currently. b/c the car is not tune yet
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

if you want reliablity and low maintnence costs. dont go with a FC or FD. Unless it has a LS1. e36 is the smart choice in this situation.

whiteevo9 hit the nail on the head. rx7 owners do indeed spend more time fixing the car then driving it. I have 4 friends with FC's. One guy got so fed up with his gt35r 13b that he sold it all and is now dropping a ls1 in it as we speak. another friend has rebuilt his 13b 3 times. we are doing it the 4'th first week in february. They are allways down. Unless its N/A it wont last. I have a friend with a N/A 1987, 100k on the stock motor. runs perfect.

Last edited by mitsuozboi; Jan 23, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like I'm leaning towards the m3.. But Bump for more INFOS!!! hehehehe

After collge . : Back to Evo for sure
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

The m3 will have a lot of maintnence cost.... especially if you take it to a dealer. But it would be more reliable then the FD. which has been stated allready. Learn to work on it yourself.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo9
Ive owned several FD RX7's with single turbos. You should not own one by the way you are talking. In order to own a FD with a GT 40 on it, you need to be a mechanic/tuner or a millionare. I KNEW rx7's, and owned 8 total, and still had them break constantly. You will have starting problems, boost problems, get about 12 mpg, not pass emmisions, high insurance and VERY low reliablitly. Most FD owners spend more time working on there car then driving it, I don't care what they say. I spent every weekend doing something to all of my FD's just to get to work on Monday. You will probably blow an engine in that car just tuning it properly, as many people who tune cars blow one trying to get it right. If you are young and don't have money, buy a civic and get what you want AFTER college. Please dont ruin another FD as so many people before you have, there are only so many left. Have some respect for a Japanese legend by not buying it, because you know nothing about it.
word for word my buddy exactly... no joke he has oly put on 6K in 4 years. He only will drive it on good days so its a weekend car but more often than not it doesnt run right between boost creep, fuel cutting, power FC shorting out the list goes on and on and on. plus teh car needs an oil change every like 1500 miles or so. it blows smoke like you wouldnt beleive and I hear they catch fire kind of easy and based on my buddys rex almost lighting the back bumper on fire a few times after hard pulls its no wonder he has a fire extingusher inside now.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

haha. My bud with the gt35r 13b used to shoot massive flames outa his exhaust. He had it running over 400 whp. He tuned it himself. ended up being his downfall. He got it runnin awsome except he didnt mess with timing.... One day, he just blew his rear iron to peices.. end of that. supercharged ls1, here we come. lol
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
M3 Ftw!!!!!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FastEvoFL
id say just get a hybrid civic or something.... the college women dig guys who care about the environment!
majority of them being ugly .
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
haha. My bud with the gt35r 13b used to shoot massive flames outa his exhaust. He had it running over 400 whp. He tuned it himself. ended up being his downfall. He got it runnin awsome except he didnt mess with timing.... One day, he just blew his rear iron to peices.. end of that. supercharged ls1, here we come. lol
We tuned his power FC as well. I know for a fact it is killing him too but he insisted. we got a decent AFR out of it but timing is left alone we are waiting for his to pop thought it was gonna happen this past summer. He is using the power FC with the datalog it and a laptop.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:02 PM

am i the only that knows people who don't blow their FD's? I know people who have 150k on their engine and their turbos that hasn't gone to the shop! Being a rotary owner myself, people who don't take care of their FD's or FC's will pay the price. For me, I personally would not go with any corvette engine and always stick with the rotaries. But being the 18 year old that you are, maintenance on a high performance car is a pain in the ***. If you want to race every day and every night, making the car run hard, that's up to you. But make sure you know how to properly cool it down, give it proper airflow, and perform the proper mods on it.

I'm running about 283rwhp on my stock twin turbo's and their boosting just fine. Always checking my engine temperatures and my knock and they're always fine. I'm running a powerFC with my commander. But by all means, a FD is not for a person who wont maintain the car! And I am living proof that I drive my FD more than i put it in the shop. The only time it was in a shop was to get tuned!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Finbargs- its all in the tune.. and you have a great tune apperently. neither of my friends took cars anywhere to get tuned,worked on. They tune and repair themselves. The tune part has been their problem. lol. Both of my friends maintain their cars very well. The rotarys are just tough motors to get right. you found the "sweet spot" on yours. Thats awsome mileage. the guy going with the LS1 didnt really want to but he wants a car that is reliable at this point. he rebuilt his motor 3 times and it was down for two summers. and in maine thats all you get....

Emonz- Both of my friends with turbo Fc's are using Microtech with datalogging/laptop set-up, wideband, egt, etc etc. the one we are re-building in february is streetported. he is gonna run a hybrid turbo. He should make good power.