Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

M3(e36) Rx-7(FD3S).. Help!. Decisions..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both of these will cost more to maintain than a new Evo
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:51 PM

I had a 95 M3 with 210k+ miles. Very reliable. Stock clutch, stock engine, stock trans. The car did a few HPDE, a few autocrosses, and a few passes down the drag strip. Parts are generally cheaper than the EVO, so if you do the work yourself, maintenance is lower than the EVO. (brake rotors for example!!!)

The interiors of the FD are not very durable. Most modded FDs are not very reliable. If you get a FD, make sure you have a rotary expert check it out thoroughly (pay them 1-2 hours labor to go through it!)
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:51 PM

I'd say go with the M3. Its probably the more reliable choice. I had one and loved it. As far as maintenance goes, just get yourself an e36 M3 service manual and learn to do some of it yourself. BTW, the manual shows how to install cams too!

Check out Turner Motorsports, and Active Autowerkes for all your go fast parts.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Hm... I just went to test drive the e36 half an hour ago. It was ok. It looks good.. w/ bbs ch made it look better. It's got 98000 on it. It drives well but really slow compare to what i'm driving right now. The car is in a good condition. He'll let it go for 11,000 $ ?. How does that sound to you?. Good?.....

Now i'm waiting to go test drive the rx7..
But i'm sure i am going to miss the fastness of my evo. But the rx7 will be pretty sick...

So you all are saying that if you tune it right?(rx7).. It will not give you any problems?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thaigleshmk
Hm... I just went to test drive the e36 half an hour ago. It was ok. It looks good.. w/ bbs ch made it look better. It's got 98000 on it. It drives well but really slow compare to what i'm driving right now. The car is in a good condition. He'll let it go for 11,000 $ ?. How does that sound to you?. Good?.....

Now i'm waiting to go test drive the rx7..
But i'm sure i am going to miss the fastness of my evo. But the rx7 will be pretty sick...

So you all are saying that if you tune it right?(rx7).. It will not give you any problems?
not necessarily it has a GT40 chances are the RX may be faster than your EVO. My buddies on a bad tune DESTROYS my EVO and he is on a to4r. Just go research the car and motor. they are cool and easy to work on but to take care of literally is $$$ and a pain sometimes. look around at others FS online most of them all have rebuilt motors. Even the cars with like 60k on the clock most are rebuilt. they are very very sencitive to a tune. a bad tune will not take long to kill the car.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

see, but the thing is that i might not keep the car that long anyway... i get sick of things easily. i'll prob have it for like 1 year or not even... then i'll prob sell it and get something else..... lol... idk but i've gone through like 4 cars for the past 12 months...

evo
g20t
gti 1.8t
vr6..
mr2
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
see, but the thing is that i might not keep the car that long anyway... i get sick of things easily. i'll prob have it for like 1 year or not even... then i'll prob sell it and get something else..... lol... idk but i've gone through like 4 cars for the past 12 months...

evo
g20t
gti 1.8t
vr6..
mr2
all of which are more reliable and less to maintain than an FD. in a year a lot can happen. its even worse on a turbo upgraded car. Find out if he put in 3mm apex seals or bridge ported or street ported it or any of that. the FD and a single turbo one is not a very god daily driver. they suck in bad weather and they are not alway willing to cooperate. Buy what you want, but I am just trying to be totally honest with you. Personally experience with stock twins and a single upgrade its a fun car but not something I would plan to drive every day with those mods
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

thanks bro...

I understand now.. It can be fast but i doubt it'll be reliable..
I guess I'll have to lean even more towards the m3 now...
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW = money pit

do not take it to the dealer, use an independent shop that knows m3's. bmw service = teh suxx0r. i have had 3 different dealers break stuff during warranty work, and it is very expensive once you are out of warranty

i don't know much about RX7, but isn't mazda owned by ford?

stay with the evo and just run kumho's

bmw definitely costs me more to run than evo, and contrary to what i expected, evo is much more reliable. and mine is not a high strung m3 nor as old. also most of the people i know that have them are having problems too.

besides, ricers got all the ladies when i was in college 5 years ago

good luck with college
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
BMW = money pit

do not take it to the dealer, use an independent shop that knows m3's. bmw service = teh suxx0r. i have had 3 different dealers break stuff during warranty work, and it is very expensive once you are out of warranty

i don't know much about RX7, but isn't mazda owned by ford?

stay with the evo and just run kumho's

bmw definitely costs me more to run than evo, and contrary to what i expected, evo is much more reliable. and mine is not a high strung m3 nor as old. also most of the people i know that have them are having problems too.

besides, ricers got all the ladies when i was in college 5 years ago

good luck with college
what you do mean by ricers?.. which car are you preferring to?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
what you do mean by ricers?.. which car are you preferring to?
i meant if he keeps the evo he will get the ladies, cause most people see it and think it is just a civic with a body kit and a big tailpipe

the guys who got all the ladies were all the fake type-r integras and that guy with the type-r camry lol i think i even saw a type-r 3 series once

there was probably more type-r integras at my school then were ever imported to the US in total

throw a type-r sticker on your evo and you will be teh sexah

um, no don't do that. just watch Swingers and listen to what Mikey says about college girls that Trent doesn't understand and you will know how to pick up the ladies
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

how much for the FD3S? Dont put a V8 in a RX-7, that is just stupid. You take away the fact that its an RX-7 when you do that...
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
dude stick with the evo.. but if you have to, get the m3. my friend got his for 8k with 84k on the clock.

btw, you shoudln't have to use ur car to pick up girls dudee
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:04 PM

the M3 kidney grills are diff shape then the 99's check the vin and a carfax ALL M3s VIN starts off with WBS... M3s are great cars they're costly but once taken care of right will last you a long time...Why get a FD thats untuned and who knows what else? the thing will blow and then you'll be stuck.. M3s hold their value man and 11k for a 99 is a deal especially if its the sport package with the vader seats <3
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

yeah man.. I don't want to sell my car. but I kinda want to , b/c i do not think that it's the right time for me to own it... due to all the money that i made are mostly going to the car.. now if i jump down to something cheaper. I wouldn't have to work as much and have more time to study or to do w/e i have to do.
the owner bought e46 that's why he is selling this one
I let him test drove my car... he just couldn't stop smiling...
he was like " omg, this thing is so fast, it just wanna keep going.." .. blah blah blah... he just keeps smiling... lol...
Oh well. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do right?.....