Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

4G63-powered Hyundai Excel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation 4G63-powered Hyundai Excel

The ultimate sleeper!

Needs more airflow over IC.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That **** is hardcore. Niiiccee. Takes skill there.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

nice....
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

nice dude... clean too... good job...
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

that car is crazy.i it somwhere before?did you guys ever see the hatchback with a 4g63 on streetfire?i forgot what kind of car it was?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

doesn't that car run around in NY? I'm pretty sure i remember seeing it in a mag at one time a few years ago.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

I want
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trojan man
doesn't that car run around in NY? I'm pretty sure i remember seeing it in a mag at one time a few years ago.
Incognito
The only 4G63-powered Hyundai Excel on Earth

Remember that time you asked a chick for her number when you had a big, old honkin' piece of lettuce stuck in your teeth? Or the time you did a big burnout in front of your friend's house and sideswiped two cars the instant you dropped the clutch? Well, imagine you're driving your new WRX and you get stomped by a 13-year-old Hyundai Excel. And all your buddies are there to see it. Suddenly, the lettuce in the teeth thing doesn't sound so bad.
Billy Rubio's 1990 Hyundai Excel was once a hand-me-down beater from his older brother, who bought the car at auction. Now it's powered by a lightly modified Mitsubishi 4G63 and it prowls late-night Los Angeles looking to embarrass WRX pilots. Built in only four months for only $4,000, it just may be the ultimate sleeper.

"I wanted something different," says Rubio during our late night photo shoot. "Now all these Hondas I eat for breakfast make quick right turns after realizing they just got smoked by a Hyundai Excel."

The engine actually came from a Galant VR-4--an engine identical to the 4G63 used in the first-generation Eclipse. The internals are still stock, but Road Race Engineering in Santa Fe Springs, Calif., which actually executed the swap, added a Blitz blow-off valve and a three-core Blitz intercooler to the mix. Check out how discretely the intercooler peeks out from under the front bumper. Road Race also made the custom 3-inch exhaust system, which, in proper sleeper fashion, keeps the engine's rasp in check, thanks to a Sebring muffler with a small, 3-inch tip.

The five-speed manual is also from the donor Galant, and remains stock, but the guys at Road Race added a Stage 3 clutch, a 2,600-lb. pressure plate and custom performance axles from the Drive Shaft Shop to get the power to the front tires.

According to Mike Welch at Road Race, the swap was easy. It turns out the Excel is almost identical underneath to a Mitsubishi Mirage of the same vintage, so it wasn't really all that more difficult than your average Honda swap. Beyond the fabrication of the motor mount on the timing belt side, everything just bolted right up. Even the wiring was straightforward.

Once the engine was in, Rubio decided the aging Hyundai suspension needed replacement. He installed 18-way adjustable Tein coil-overs front and back, and Tein camber plates that were designed to fit a Mirage. Oddly enough, Rubio says the Excel's rear suspension is the same as an '86 Corolla GT-S, so hardware is not hard to find.

The brakes, which are easily seen through the 16x7 Enkei wheels, are stock down to the teeny, tiny rear drums. From a safety standpoint, this is bad. When you've got more than 225 hp on tap, you really should invest in a good set of brakes. However, those rear drums, along with the squared-off stock bodywork, have suckered many unsuspecting members of the big wing crowd into races they have no chance of winning. Tires are Nitto 555s measuring 205/45R-16.

With more help from his younger brother Vincent, Rubio added a couple of Tenzo seats, a MOMO steering wheel and shifter boot, and stereo upgrades, including a Kenwood CD player and Infinity speakers. The two also removed the rear seat, which will soon be upholstered to match the Tenzos, and integrated a set of R-1 Competition gauges into the stock dash. Rubio chose to keep tabs on the engine's revs, water temp and the exhaust temp.

The body, which is completely stock, just got a quick straightening and a fresh coat of white only days before our photoshoot. Sleeper or not, Rubio just couldn't bear to have his ride photographed for a magazine with door dings and missing side molding.

Next on the to-do list are a bigger turbo, upgraded engine internals, a limited slip and a serious dyno tune session, but Rubio has no desire to compromise the car's streetability or its sleeperness. He just wants to make it even faster.

So how fast is it? Well, in typical sleeper fashion, Rubio won't tell us. Despite running the car frequently at California Dragway in Fontana, Calif., Rubio says his ETs are top secret. But he did say this.

"To all you WRX fans, bring it on. I also have no problem with turbo Audis or all you musclecar boat lovers. Bring on them tanks."

The next time you talk to your boss with a booger hanging from your nose, or leave the house with your fly open, think of it this way: At least you didn't just get outrun by a 13-year-old Hyundai sedan with drum brakes.

1990 Hyundai Excel
Engine
Engine Code: 4G63
Type: Inline four, iron block, aluminum head,turbocharged and intercooled
Internal Modifications: None
External Modifications: Blitz blow-off valve, Blitz 3 core intercooler, 3-inch exhaust, Sebring muffler
Engine Management Mods: Stock Galant VR-4
Drivetrain
Layout: Transverse front engine, front-wheel drive
Drivetrain Modifications: Act Stage 3 clutch, Drive Shaft Shop performance axles
Suspension
Front: Tein coil-overs, Tein camber plates
Rear: Tein coil-overs
Brakes
Front: Stock disc
Rear: Stock drum
External
Wheels: Enkei 16x7
Tires: Nitto 555 205/45R-16
Body: Stock
Interior: Tenzo seats, MOMO steering wheel and shifter boot, R-1 Competition gauges, Kenwood CD player, Infinity speakers
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Hardly the only the 4G63 Excel on earth, there's been a few out of Kentucky, some in FL, tons and tons in PR dating back 10-15 years.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

that car is sick.. but the gauges look like they are way too bright.. really nice though..
Old Jan 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

thats sick bro!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

that is one gangster-*** sleeper!!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Man I cant believe how many people havent seen this before. This has been out for a LOOOOOONG time. Still sweet to look at though.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phhh ain't got nothing on my turbo minivan.....now thats the ultimate sleeper.

still nice car none-the-less